Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week Five | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week Five

Just using it as an example, without any implication of a more general trend.

I get that, but consistently throughout the game Romo had more than enough time. Maybe if Tannehill had that kind if time he would be able to scan around then scramble away. He rarely gets a chance to scan and run away.

I get that, but consistently throughout the game Romo had more than enough time. Maybe if Tannehill had that kind if time he would be able to scan around then scramble away. He rarely gets a chance to scan and run away.
But how long is it going to take him to realize that he doesn't have that kind of time to scan? With the way the offensive line is playing, he has to be ready to move.

Philbin should line up Yeatman, Thomas, Pouncy, Watkins, and Gardner as the starters for practice.

I love Tannehill, but he repeatedly fails to step up in the pocket. He has to get better at making subtle moves in the pocket to get clean throwing lanes and to avoid sacks. He does not bounce on his feet when he is scanning the field which would enable him to move if he gets pressured. The offensive line is atrocious, but Tannehill has to do a better job of manipulating the pocket or we will be looking at the second coming of David Carr.

The most appropriate comparison would be between Tannehill and the average quarterback in terms of how long it takes them to start moving in response to pressure.

Tannehill might well be pressured more than the average quarterback, but I strongly suspect it takes him a whole lot longer to move in response to it, if he does at all, as well.

Most quarterbacks move from pressure after their dropback has been 90-95% complete. When you can't even get a 5 step drop without being harassed you have issues. The Clabo sack at the end of the game was abysmal. He didn't have time to even think about making a play.

But how long is it going to take him to realize that he doesn't have that kind of time to scan? With the way the offensive line is playing, he has to be ready to move.

This is true.

He's still a young qb. Sometimes things are not completely slowed down for him yet. If he did what he did on those running to the left passes more consistently then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Just saw that play shouright.

Romo had all day to throw the ball. He moved up for basically no reason. Not a good example of the problems we have in Miami.

So you're saying he should know he should move after a second and a half of progressions and scanning the field. I'm not saying he doesn't have some blame but let's get real with some of the thought process here.

So you're saying he should know he should move after a second and a half of progressions and scanning the field.
I'm saying he needs to be ready to move in response to whatever pressure presents itself. What, should he just take the sack instead?

The problem with the Oline begins with the coaches and the gameplan.

There is not much TE's in to help and we go with the same personnell most of the time. Nothing changes. You cannot playaction much, you cannot reverse field when in shotgun all day. You just cannot.

Teams watch our film and know why we get sacked so much. Its because it ends up being 5 guys on 6 or 7 or they stunt inside consistently or switch sides which Suggs did today.

Defenses will continue to make our Oline look below avg. if they never have to stop a run game that has conviction. They will simply stuff it early and then go into one on one mode and tee off on RT. It really does not require much more than that.

This game was winnable. The O-line is probably our biggest problem and it doesn't appear to be getting better. When you think that Denver lost Ryan Clady and yet they are still able to protect Peyton Manning from getting sacked, compared to the barrage of sacks that Tannehill faces every week, the conclusion is that there is either something wrong with our system or we haven't got the right personnel or option c) all of the above.

I'm saying he needs to be ready to move in response to whatever pressure presents itself. What, should he just take the sack instead?

In some cases it's better to take the sack. What I'm saying is you shouldn't expect to have people in your face once you've only completed your first read. If you have people on you and you're not even on you second read you're going to have no opportunity to extend the play. In many cases Tanny hasn't even had a chance to extend things. He got zero help today. 7 drops, six sacks and 16 yards on the ground is a recipe for a blow out, not a 3 point loss.

I can't help but wonder if Jim Turner's (OL coach) job is beginning to come into question. As they say, you can't fire the players. Well, not all of them anyways.

If I was GM I would do the following tomorrow and ASAP for Wednesday's practice:

I would bench Clabo and replace with Garner.

I would then sign Geoff Hangartner and between him, Watkins and Jerry I would make a call of whom my RG would be by the end of the week.

I would also pick up Bryant McKinnie if he is released by Baltimore.

I do not want to hear about continuity when witnessing the "continuity" we have seen on the field.

mckinnie is not the solution to any problem - ever

Back
Top Bottom