Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week Five | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week Five

If I was GM I would do the following tomorrow and ASAP for Wednesday's practice:

I would bench Clabo and replace with Garner.

I would then sign Geoff Hangartner and between him, Watkins and Jerry I would make a call of whom my RG would be by the end of the week.

I would also pick up Bryant McKinnie if he is released by Baltimore.

I do not want to hear about continuity when witnessing the "continuity" we have seen on the field.

Now's the time with two week to get someone up to speed.
I really hoped these guys would jell but it's not happening.

No more ****yness, a lil humble pie if you will.
That thud, it's Dolphans coming back to earth.

Clabo is not a solution. McKinnie could help the mess at this point.
Hayden Martin was horrible as well, I swear he was getting bull rushed into the ground every other play. It is what it is, I said during preseason this ol was average at best and all the homers were defending this pos ol. No one wants to hear this but believe me the day we upgrade Ireland will be a great day...

Hayden Martin was horrible as well, I swear he was getting bull rushed into the ground every other play. It is what it is, I said during preseason this ol was average at best and all the homers were defending this pos ol. No one wants to hear this but believe me the day we upgrade Ireland will be a great day...

I agree. It is in the notes. I guess I expected more from Clabo.

GREAT scoreboard help this week/yesterday/night.

Losses by: the Pats, Bills, Texans, Titans and Chargers

Miami is still the 6 seed if playoffs started today. Everything you want is still in front of you.

This game was winnable. The O-line is probably our biggest problem and it doesn't appear to be getting better. When you think that Denver lost Ryan Clady and yet they are still able to protect Peyton Manning from getting sacked, compared to the barrage of sacks that Tannehill faces every week, the conclusion is that there is either something wrong with our system or we haven't got the right personnel or option c) all of the above.

In the recent past, Miami's o-line may not have been dominant, but they usually had a decent to good running game and did not give up this many sacks. The main problem with those offenses was less-than-stellar QB play and a lack of playmaking WRs/TEs that could score. Enter Philbin and Sherman with a new, fancy offense that we were told would be dynamic and explosive. Philbin/Sherman want a different breed of o-linemen to run their new offense, so Ireland got them a shiny new toy... Jonathan Martin. Martin; the future of the Dolphins o-line. Martin has been man-handled by 3rd stringers. Well, what about Jerry and Incognito? They were there, along with Long et al, when Miami had a fairly strong running game and somewhat decent pass protection. What happened? Well, with Jerry who knows, but the main thing that changed is the system, and IMO it just isn't very good. Of course some players need to be replaced, but whatever it is that the line is doing differently from the pre-Philbin/Sherman days is not an improvement. This is Philbin and Sherman's second year, and the line is playing worse than it did last year. Evidently, they either don't know what they're doing with the o-line, or they can't properly evaluate what type of players to put on it.

I realize that it's a passing league (and I do love a high-scoring offense) and the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" approach is outdated. But instead of an entirely new system I would have upgraded the old one to a "5 yards and a cloud of dust mixed in with an electrifying aerial assault" with a good QB (Tannehill would do), strong RBs (+ maybe a scatback type), good WRs/TEs, and a powerful, dominating o-line. Tough, hard-nosed football doesn't mean that a team has to predominantly run the ball. Remember how 3rd and short was automatic with Lousaka Polite? Now imagine that with Tannehill, Wallace, Clay, Hartline and Gibson... they would have very little problem sustaining drives and marching down the field. This offense however, is always off to a slow start and while they are now better at scoring in the red zone, they aren't getting there nearly as often as they should be. I blame the system, along with a poor choice of personnel.

* The drive was aided by two awful PI's calls on Carroll and Grimes. The Carroll penalty kept a drive alive on a 3rd down and the Grimes infraction set up an easy score. Terrible calls that gave a ton of momentum to Baltimore.

Not for nothing, these were two absolutely awful, GAME CHANGING, calls. Meanwhile, their DBs were getting away with murder.

But how long is it going to take him to realize that he doesn't have that kind of time to scan? With the way the offensive line is playing, he has to be ready to move.

if you believe that should be his priority perhaps you would like us to go back to the wildcat full time this way we have a running back handling the ball every play?

I am impressed RT still is looking down field and is not watching the rush. It is a habit that QB's can get into when they are being sacked a lot.

Adam Beasley @AdamHBeasley
Philbin on if there will be a personnel change on the offensive line: "We believe in the guys that we have."

This tweet depresses me.

I am impressed RT still is looking down field and is not watching the rush. It is a habit that QB's can get into when they are being sacked a lot.

Adam Beasley @AdamHBeasley
Philbin on if there will be a personnel change on the offensive line: "We believe in the guys that we have."

This tweet depresses me.

hopefully he is just posturing with the media, and doesn't want to criticize his guys in the media and changes in fact will be coming

Watching the Denver Dallas game, Romo and Manning are having a long time to scan the field and make reads.

After watching this game and seeing the Dolphins game it makes it quite embarrassing that the Dolphins are fielding that horrid OLine.

Manning's average pass from snap to the time the ball left his hand was around 2.2 seconds.
Manning protects his OL. The OL in Denver is not very great.

Romo on the other hand held the ball for an average of over 3.3 seconds per pass play.
Dallas' OL has gotten their act together recently. Tyron Smith is playing well for them at LT.

hopefully he is just posturing with the media, and doesn't want to criticize his guys in the media and changes in fact will be coming

I am all over the staff if the same line comes back against Buffalo. Nate Garner at the very least has shown to be competent pro. He can be an upgrade at RG or RT.

FYI, John Harbaugh called out his poorly playing line last week and got results...and a new LT. Joe being meek is not going to help matters.

Manning's average pass from snap to the time the ball left his hand was around 2.2 seconds.
Manning protects his OL. The OL in Denver is not very great.

But, the OL is not consistently getting pushed back into Manning's face in 2.2 seconds. Also, Dallas was bringing blitzers, often several. That opens up holes in the defense that hot routes are designed to exploit. Baltimore was dropping 7 into coverage. Tannehill has no choice but to wait for the routes to develop.

At one point in the Den-Dallas game, the announcer commented that Demarcus Ware had moved to the other side of the defense because he was having NO SUCCESS against Denver's 2nd string left tackle...... I can't even imagine hearing that comment about Martin.

Back
Top Bottom