Herald: Growing belief fins trade up to get Martin | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Herald: Growing belief fins trade up to get Martin

Mmmmmmmmm.

I think there should be a third guarantee in life: death, taxes and the o-line needs work.

If we do it correctly and fix it once and for all we shouldn't need to. In a perfect world i would love to trade down and get XSF then pick up a another Tackle later but that's not just going to happen. So you take the best offensive lineman you can to sure up the offensive line.

So you would rather take an inferior player over a highly rated one? Just pick the best lineman and be done with it, and we wont have to be in this situation again next year.

Id rather take a highly rated player that scores touchdowns than an player who's rated equal but plays a vastly inferior position.

Know what else probably wont be the same next year? The drafts receiver class. We have to take advantage of something great while its in front of us. If we dont, you can bet your last dollar another team will. Im sure our defense will be very comforted that we spent our picks on offensive lineman after they get burned for a touchdown by players we passed on.

By the way, show me evidence we wont have problems with our line if we draft lineman. After using the 1st overall pick, the 15th overall pick, a second round pick, 2 third round picks, a fourth round pick, a sixth round pick, and spending over $100 million on offensive lineman the past 6 years and still having the problems we've had...well, lets say im going to need some proof our line will suddenly turn into an impenetrable wall of awesomeness if we "just" use a 3rd first round pick on a lineman.

I read the first try paragraphs only because it's a waste of time to read the rest because We simply aren't trading up

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Id rather take a highly rated player that scores touchdowns than an player who's rated equal but plays a vastly inferior position.

Know what else probably wont be the same next year? The drafts receiver class. We have to take advantage of something great while its in front of us. If we dont, you can bet your last dollar another team will. Im sure our defense will be very comforted that we spent our picks on offensive lineman after they get burned for a touchdown by players we passed on.

By the way, show me evidence we wont have problems with our line if we draft lineman. After using the 1st overall pick, the 15th overall pick, a second round pick, 2 third round picks, a fourth round pick, a sixth round pick, and spending over $100 million on offensive lineman the past 6 years and still having the problems we've had...well, lets say im going to need some proof our line will suddenly turn into an impenetrable wall of awesomeness if we "just" use a 3rd first round pick on a lineman.

That doesn't make any sense and it goes back to my original point which is you why wait till next year? our QB is going to get knocked retirement because the offensive line can block its way out of a wet paper bag. Start with the line because you know what? You cannot score touchdowns without blocking which was the problem last year.

Like I said. Hickey is probably discussing the generalities of a trade with most teams up to 13-15th spot.
Hammer out a conditional framework. That way when a team has 2 minutes to make a decision you don't have to negotiate it.

I am certain Hickey has a gentlemans agreement set up with the Bears, Rams or Steelers suggesting a possible price tag for the position if someone we covet falls. i.e. Matthews.

In the same vein Hickey has certainly spoken with a dozen GM's drafting behind us if the opportunity should arise.

It is just doing his homework. It doesn't mean Miami is going to dump resources at all costs to take Zack Martin

That doesn't make any sense and it goes back to my original point which is you why wait till next year? our QB is going to get knocked retirement because the offensive line can block its way out of a wet paper bag. Start with the line because you know what? You cannot score touchdowns without blocking which was the problem last year.

The Seahawks gave up 44 sacks and I would [STRIKE]guess[/STRIKE] bet real cash dollars Wilson escaped a hell of a lot more than Tannehill did, shouldn't the Albert upgrade alone get us at least close to the SB champs? If not thats a **** ton of money we spent to save 6 or 8 sacks (or half a sack a game) on the season.

Not once did i say wait until next year. I expressed my opinion on the matter: that we can find competent pieces later in the draft. I even think there are some free agents available that could fit in nicely and play "well enough". There simply isnt that big of a difference between the best right tackle in football and the 12th best right tackle. That same difference at skill positions is starker. And we might not have the ability to acquire talented players at skill positions in next years draft. Competent right tackles and guards enter the draft every year.

Both Seattle and Denver had trouble with their lines. Denver compensated with running backs blocking and plays designed to get the ball out of Mannings hand quick. Seattle used Wilson's mobility. Other teams frequently design plays with quarterback roll outs. Get competent lineman and play to our strengths. Problem solved.

Now, back to my point: please show me evidence that our line will be set if we spend high draft picks on offensive lineman. Because so far, our history has proven the exact opposite. And spending all our resources on the line has diminished the talent across the roster.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a team with as many holes as the Dolphins have it would be moronic to spend two high picks on a tackle who projects to a guard. That's the type of move that will have the Dolphins once again looking for a new GM next season.

The difference is Ireland wasnt going to hit on that second round pick anyways. While we dont know how good Hickey is, we have hopes of minimum competency. Ignorance is bliss.

Also drafting for need is shortsighted and idiotic and will directly result in this regime being fired. The firing will just be delayed a year or two. Passing on potentially great players at more important positions for someone who plays a less important position simply because of what happened last year will damn us tomorrow. Trading up for said player is even more ridiculous.

This is the truth.

Ireland was the GM that personified picking mediocre players because of "need."

And he tried to make up for it by overdrafting injured or project players.

Sad, really.

No way to build an NFL team. You pick BPA because in this league, EVERY position has to be upgraded. Every position is a position of need. As Manning said, "If you're not getting better, you're getting worse." TRUE big time.

Sadly, Ireland and so many Phin fans believe that if you have someone mediocre on roster, that position suddenly isn't a "need" anymore. Non-football mind dolphans: "We have BESS! That position is well filled!" "We have Hartline -- an amazingly great WR!" Newsflash: Not bad is pretty had, in a league where playmakers win.

You pick BPA and suddenly, you find your roster needs not as pressing, across the board. The 4 and 5 players at OL, WR, etc. are suddenly better than the 3 and 4 players last year, etc.

Hickey seems to get that if your depth isn't able to press the players above them on the roster spot, your team ain't goin' anywhere.

Hope springs eternal. Hope Hickey gets it way more than Ireland.

LD

IMO noway all of the elete players will be gone by the 19th pk , if , and I know it is , as deep as they say , look at all the other past drafts that wasn't nowhere as deep and teams got great players in the upper teens , imo in the past drafts there is about 30-40% of the picks past that was taken in the top 10 that have been busts , and if I was betting I would say that theres around 50-60% of the elete players playing right now that was taken in the lower to upper teens in the past , so if this Draft is deeper than has been in a long time , we shouldn't have to worrie much about not getting an elete player if Hickey has done his home work on the players that's coming out , and if theres a run on QBs like I think will happen we should be in great shape to get a player with elete talent @19 .

Hickey doesn't sound like Ireland...who panicked last year by moving up and down several times. I think we stay put or trade back and get extra picks.

Hickey doesn't sound like Ireland...who panicked last year by moving up and down several times. I think we stay put or trade back and get extra picks.

Pretty decent mock draft you got going on there Roman ..

Back
Top Bottom