hoops scoops...bucs dolphins | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hoops scoops...bucs dolphins

At this point, I hope and it looks like they will be keeping him at least one more season. His blocking is not the best, But the few times I've watched him play he has done an adequate job. Right now, the coaching staff doesn't appear to be giving him a fair look with the starters. I really believe he can develop into something more than C.Clay! Also, is it me or does C.Clay look like a midget out there?He's suppose to be 6'3" but he looks really small!

FREE EGNEW GOT_DAMMIT!!!

Egnew was a guy who was always going to need time to develop into a NFL capable TE. He basically played a big WR in college, he needs to get stronger and add weight and his hands were never "sure things" but were good enough. It wasn't a great pick considering the work that needed to be done but sitting behind a guy like Keller a year after sitting behind Fasano could of only be beneficial . . . unfortunately we lost Keller and the scrutiny for Egnew will be stronger than ever.

now for guys who might as well plan on a visit from the turk...josh kaddu, keenan davis, julius pruitt, kyle miller, andrew mcdonald, michael clay, julian posey, deandre pressley, tyrone culver, keelan johnson, jordan kovacs, lee robinson, tracy robertson, tristan okpalaugo, emeka onyenekuu jeff fuller come on down coach wants to see you...and bring your playbook

Dude, Tyrone Culver has not been on this team for MONTHS. :lol:

ryan tannehill continues to read the coverage like a maestro i know he missed some things with errant throws and some balls that were catchable but not the best placed but he makes coverage reads like a 5 year vet...that kids not gonna take you out of games with bad decisions...he's just not...i'm sure omar is hating on the 3rd down where he held the ball too long and took a sack well i have to tell you i have seen joe flacco do the exact same thing plenty instead of forcing a bad decision of throw he eats the ball and lives to play another day...threw some straight dimes that were dropped also...but we'll get into that...

On one hand I agree with you here. On the other, I'm a bit frustrated with our uber-conservatism when it comes to Tannehill's passing. I don't know if it's Tannehill afraid to throw it unless he has a perfect shot or whether the coaches have drilled ball security into him so much he's only throwing dead certs.

But we had receivers open in tat game where Tanny needs to let go of the ball. TB brought some blitz heat at times, which our o-line and backs dealt with well - leaving guys like Wallace, Gibson and Hartline upfield in single coverage. There HAVE to be opportunities there that you take. The redzone as a slightly different story - Gibson has to catch that ball and the shot to Clay was too hard but he should still haul it in. Even so, it was pretty tedious down there in the endzone, mirroring our very conservative moving of the chains. So many of the routes are comebacks or sideline balls where there is zero YAC potential - I'm crying out for some balls thrown to receivers in stride, preferably at least intermediate in distance.

Solid, error-free football from Tannehill (for the most part anyway). But the obsession with ball security is a weird one. It's clearly not working for us on fumbles, special teams or our turnover ability. The only place it's working is our super-conservative passing game. Personally I'd prefer to see Tannehill have the balls/licence (whichever it is) to take a shot or two with the kind of receiver talent we have now.

At this point, I hope and it looks like they are going to keep him at least one more season. His blocking is not the best, But the few times I've watched him play he has done an adequate job. Right now, the coaching staff doesn't appear to be giving him a fair look with the starters. I really believe he can develop into something more than C.Clay! Also, is it me or does C.Clay look like a midget out there?

FREE EGNEW GOT_DAMMIT!!!

He looked disinterested . . . as did Charles Clay, and that concerns me. He was slow as molasses getting off the line and a push off within 5 yards would completely knock him off his route. He got looks early in that game, he just didn't do anything with those looks. It's great that he has learned to block a little bit in the offseason but he was drafted to catch passes . . . and I just haven't seen much of anything from him in that regard.

As always, great write-up Hoops. Always enjoy reading your insight.

Hoops, what is your take on Jamar Taylor? He's looked good in his limited time, he seems very aware on the field. He's recovering well from his health issues and slowing making progress with his learning curve on defense. Do you think he is just a few weeks away from taking Carroll's job as the # 3 CB? I know there is a real good chance he'll be a starting corner someday in the future, perhaps even this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, I think we should all agree by now thats just how he looks. Secondly, I'm i the only one that thinks we're just using him inappropriately? Meaning, If he's bad at something? How about we don't try to force him to do that thing?

I understand that he may look slow as molasses get off the line. But, are you suggesting that other starting TEs lets say, A.Fasano are that much faster? I'm sure if we combs through Egnews combine #'s it would suggest he's nowhere near the bottom

Finally, I don't know what looks you're referring too. I recorded the game and noticed he played a few snaps and was actually open on a few of them. Tannehill never looked at him and on one his sacks he completely ignored an open Egnew.

He looked disinterested . . . as did Charles Clay, and that concerns me. He was slow as molasses getting off the line and a push off within 5 yards would completely knock him off his route. He got looks early in that game, he just didn't do anything with those looks. It's great that he has learned to block a little bit in the offseason but he was drafted to catch passes . . . and I just haven't seen much of anything from him in that regard.

First, I think we should all agree by now thats just how he looks. Secondly, I'm i the only one that thinks we're just using him inappropriately? Meaning, If he's bad at something? How about we don't try to force him to do that thing?

I understand that he may look slow as molasses get off the line. But, are you suggesting that other starting TEs lets say, A.Fasano are that much faster? I'm sure if we combs through Egnews combine #'s it would suggest he's nowhere near the bottom

Finally, I don't know what looks you're referring too. I recorded the game and noticed he played a few snaps and was actually open on a few of them. Tannehill never looked at him and on one his sacks he completely ignored an open Egnew.

I only saw the game live, with the exception of a few quick rewinds on the DVR system and the times I noticed Egnew it was the same story. Now to be fair, I didn't key on him every time so maybe there were some times he was open but I stand by him and Clay looking disinterested in the game . . . maybe this long TC and preseason has gotten to them a bit, but it wasn't good.

And combine numbers don't mean anything. . . Baltimore just cut 6'5" Tommy Streeter who blew the doors off the combine. Fasano did more to get open inspite of being slower, Egnew just looks like he gives up halfway into the route because somebody jammed him within the 5 yard area and threw him off. He's not the strongest guy and clearly he lacks a little up top and it has combined to effect his game. I haven't seen anything I've liked out of Egnew (outside of whats on paper) since he has gotten here and that Is just the blunt truth. Now he may survive a numbers game, as well as he should, because he was a project to begin with . . . but he hasn't done anything to give anybody any confidence that he is going to have an impact on this team this year.

On one hand I agree with you here. On the other, I'm a bit frustrated with our uber-conservatism when it comes to Tannehill's passing. I don't know if it's Tannehill afraid to throw it unless he has a perfect shot or whether the coaches have drilled ball security into him so much he's only throwing dead certs.

But we had receivers open in tat game where Tanny needs to let go of the ball. TB brought some blitz heat at times, which our o-line and backs dealt with well - leaving guys like Wallace, Gibson and Hartline upfield in single coverage. There HAVE to be opportunities there that you take. The redzone as a slightly different story - Gibson has to catch that ball and the shot to Clay was too hard but he should still haul it in. Even so, it was pretty tedious down there in the endzone, mirroring our very conservative moving of the chains. So many of the routes are comebacks or sideline balls where there is zero YAC potential - I'm crying out for some balls thrown to receivers in stride, preferably at least intermediate in distance.

Solid, error-free football from Tannehill (for the most part anyway). But the obsession with ball security is a weird one. It's clearly not working for us on fumbles, special teams or our turnover ability. The only place it's working is our super-conservative passing game. Personally I'd prefer to see Tannehill have the balls/licence (whichever it is) to take a shot or two with the kind of receiver talent we have now.

hmmm...i'm not really sure i see evidence of a qb that lacks stones...on one of the sacks tanny took the blitz pressure is coming right over egnew he needs to hook up as he's the hot instead he continues to run down the field on his route...i don't think egnew read the assignment right....

it looked like tanny could have took a shot on that pa he checked down after looking long at wallace but i will have to check again to see where the safety was...based on the coverage i saw gibby in the middle of the field was the right decision on many of his throws...gibby won on his routes also....take what the d gives you and take a shot when you got a chance...the ball down the seam dropped by clay on the goalline was an example of taking a shot...

i have no issues...by the way error free football from the qb position keeps you in games when you have a d like ours...take a look at geno smiths work the other night...those kind of decisions beat you...it's not like tannehills only a care taker either...he has more to work with this year and he's throwing for more tds...

pretty much exactly what i see too...bigger body better technique as a blocker but same slow as molasses looking one speed receiving option...no burst no quick twitch...trouble getting off the los when jammed...not winning vs coverage...

tanny barely even looked at him....there's just not much there...a fringe 53 man roster te

hmmm...i'm not really sure i see evidence of a qb that lacks stones...on one of the sacks tanny took the blitz pressure is coming right over egnew he needs to hook up as he's the hot instead he continues to run down the field on his route...i don't think egnew read the assignment right....

it looked like tanny could have took a shot on that pa he checked down after looking long at wallace but i will have to check again to see where the safety was...based on the coverage i saw gibby in the middle of the field was the right decision on many of his throws...gibby won on his routes also....take what the d gives you and take a shot when you got a chance...the ball down the seam dropped by clay on the goalline was an example of taking a shot...

i have no issues...by the way error free football from the qb position keeps you in games when you have a d like ours...take a look at geno smiths work the other night...those kind of decisions beat you...it's not like tannehills only a care taker either...he has more to work with this year and he's throwing for more tds...

I tend to think it's more the paranoia over INTs than Tanny lacking the stones. I also think there's a happy medium between only taking the dead cert shots and spraying it all over the place. I thnk Tanny lacks a little bit of that vision and anticipation that puts receivers in positions to make yardage. It's something that definitely improves with experience, but if the coaches keep him on such a tight leash that he can never test his vision/improvisation abilities as plays develop, I don't see how he's going to progress in this area. You then end up with a robot.

I'm not saying there were 20 clear cut opportunities for him, but he had a decent, clean pocket and some very good receivers and I would have expected some more impactful plays that we got to see.

I only saw the game live, with the exception of a few quick rewinds on the DVR system and the times I noticed Egnew it was the same story. Now to be fair, I didn't key on him every time so maybe there were some times he was open but I stand by him and Clay looking disinterested in the game . . . maybe this long TC and preseason has gotten to them a bit, but it wasn't good.

And combine numbers don't mean anything. . . Baltimore just cut 6'5" Tommy Streeter who blew the doors off the combine. Fasano did more to get open inspite of being slower, Egnew just looks like he gives up halfway into the route because somebody jammed him within the 5 yard area and threw him off. He's not the strongest guy and clearly he lacks a little up top and it has combined to effect his game. I haven't seen anything I've liked out of Egnew (outside of whats on paper) since he has gotten here and that Is just the blunt truth. Now he may survive a numbers game, as well as he should, because he was a project to begin with . . . but he hasn't done anything to give anybody any confidence that he is going to have an impact on this team this year.

I tried to key on Egnew, but didn't do so early. Started about half-way through the 2nd qtr. I wouldn't say he wasn't trying, but he seemed to struggle to get open on the few routes I saw him run. That said he was wide open in the middle of the field once in the 2nd half, but Devlin made an early read and went outside to a WR on the plays. From what I saw he was in on a lot of running plays, and played in line a fair amount, and it's from his play there that I'd say his effort wasn't lacking. He wasn't special, but he held his own as a blocker in line. I was surprised. I kept waiting for somebody to blow him up, but it never happened. I only remember one blocking play that he didn't keep after it, and his man tackled the ballcarrier. Even that wasn't a bad block, but if he had kept banging on his assignment, it would have been a long run rather than the 4-6 yd run it ended up being. IMHO just like it seemed the coaches went out of their way to feed Clay the ball, and see what he could do, I thought they emphasized trying to find out what Egnew could do in a role blocking as a traditional TE in Saturday's game. It's time to see if he can get open though. Like others I'd like to see them force him the ball on Thursday night and see what happens.

I tend to think it's more the paranoia over INTs than Tanny lacking the stones. I also think there's a happy medium between only taking the dead cert shots and spraying it all over the place. I thnk Tanny lacks a little bit of that vision and anticipation that puts receivers in positions to make yardage. It's something that definitely improves with experience, but if the coaches keep him on such a tight leash that he can never test his vision/improvisation abilities as plays develop, I don't see how he's going to progress in this area. You then end up with a robot.

I'm not saying there were 20 clear cut opportunities for him, but he had a decent, clean pocket and some very good receivers and I would have expected some more impactful plays that we got to see.

i just disagree with that pretty much across the board...in this o they want the ball out of hand quick...off pa he took looks down the field hell on the sack he took where he held it too long his eyes were vertical down the field the entire time....anticipation i see plenty of evidence of...

i just disagree with that pretty much across the board...in this o they want the ball out of hand quick...off pa he took looks down the field hell on the sack he took where he held it too long his eyes were vertical down the field the entire time....anticipation i see plenty of evidence of...

Exactly, his eyes were downfield for a good few seconds and he saw nothing to go for. Is that because there was nothing or because he's being overly risk-averse? It's just one play and I certainly don't have the coaches film, but to me it's indicative of tendency to play it really safe.

I'm all for getting the ball out quick, but if you're in the pocket and you've got extended time and you're checking out your progressions - between Wallace, Hartline, Gibson and Miller underneath - somebody is open at some point enough for you to take a shot. Book it.

I fear that his development will be stunted if he's being told to avoid any kind of risk in his shots.

Back
Top Bottom