hoops scoops...bucs dolphins | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hoops scoops...bucs dolphins

There may be quite a bit of truth to that. Our successful cut block percentage is the lowest I can remember. In fact, the defender is often so far gone that it's pointless to even make the attempt. The offensive lineman dives and misses primarily so he won't be accused of dodging his responsibility entirely.

It's like a quick nap.

Jerry's frame still looks terrible. Hard for me to have confidence in Martin and Jerry when they don't look the part.

it's more than the cut blocking...these guys aren't athletic enough to get to some of the things they are asked to do...one of the national beat guys was harping on it during the training camp live tweets and i think he's right...defenders line up in gaps and our guys have no shot of getting to em on some stuff...oline just not as athletic as you would like for this scheme...pouncey samuda the exceptions...clabo may have been that athletic before but he's not right now..

jerry getting plain whooped off the ball repeatedly in line quite the eye opener also...hoping some of that was rust but i doubt it

Great run down Hoops.

I watch some tape on the OL last night. You're spot on with Martin, I wonder is he may have been sick. It's way too late to not be in game condition, and he worked his ass off in the off season. Doesn't make sense.

I thought Jerry and Samuda were about the same in pass protect, with Samuda a little better on the run. I have to consider the rust for Jerry, and believe he will start. I think Samuda need another year, and will start next year.

I also thought Clabo played very well, easily the best I've seen so far.

I did not watch the CB's on tape but, going from what I'm seeing of Patterson and Taylor, I don't see much difference now, and Taylor is gonna get better. We both said he would be starting this year. I'm starting to thing that sooner may be better than later. This allows Patterson to drop to #3 and slot coverage, and Carroll to #4, where I think we will end up as the best rotation.

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

Forgot to mention, Dallas did not look good at all, and really needs a year to develop.

I like Freeney, he's like Shelby always making an impact play when he's inserted into the lineup. :chuckle:

I doubt Taylor will start, it's very rare to see a rookie CB make an impact. We have to consider that offenses (and our own defense) are pretty vanilla at the moment, and every mistake a CB makes is very costly. It's good to see he's got the talent, but I wouldn't expect much out of the rookie CBs this year.

I doubt Taylor will start, it's very rare to see a rookie CB make an impact. We have to consider that offenses (and our own defense) are pretty vanilla at the moment, and every mistake a CB makes is very costly. It's good to see he's got the talent, but I wouldn't expect much out of the rookie CBs this year.

Consider that he is going up against Patterson and Carroll.

Gillisle is making this team. Jonas Gray goes PS IMO.

We will pick up a TE soon.

Need to keep or pick up a Tackle if Yeatman out of picture and I dont trust Garner with injury history.

Still think Dion Jordan is just in hiding and being safe and being taught this defense and how they will use him in pass D. Either way, we got guys.

well right now we are one injury in our top 3 corners from taylor or will davis taking heavy snaps...rj sanford if he makes it will be because of his specials impact...sanford seems like from what i see the obvious 6th corner if they keep 6...

you're likely to get an injury in your top 3 corner depth at some point...although i did see a lot of jimmy wilson manning the slot etc in the buca game that makes me think he may be in play there if something happens to a patterson when he shifts inside etc...

jimmy wilson could be the next man up...

well right now we are one injury in our top 3 corners from taylor or will davis taking heavy snaps...rj sanford if he makes it will be because of his specials impact...sanford seems like from what i see the obvious 6th corner if they keep 6...

you're likely to get an injury in your top 3 corner depth at some point...although i did see a lot of jimmy wilson manning the slot etc in the buca game that makes me think he may be in play there if something happens to a patterson when he shifts inside etc...

jimmy wilson could be the next man up...

I'm way more concerned with the linebackers. And that's not praising Taylor and Davis. That's just questioning every linebacker not named Ellerbe, Wheeler, Misi. :)

I'm way more concerned with the linebackers. And that's not praising Taylor and Davis. That's just questioning every linebacker not named Ellerbe, Wheeler, Misi. :)

as you should be...there's not a player in the bunch

nate irving looks like he's a guy that may be cut come final cuts i'd scoop him off denvers waivers looking for lb depth...i've seen a few others...clay harbors in trouble in philly he's nothing special don't get me wrong but i'd probably play him before i played michael egnew

theo reddick over gillislee at rb...michael ford too...guys their teams want to p squad

brian quick who blows by the way is in trouble in st louis already...steadman baileys not on all that firm ground either...from what i see

i don't think brandon williams will get traded at te or be offered but i'd be interested if he was available...there's real upside there

Sims is really our best bet.. I personally never expect much from a rookie TE but I would like to see more routes vs some actual players.
Egnew looks so much the part that you want him to do something... sadly he wont

it's more than the cut blocking...these guys aren't athletic enough to get to some of the things they are asked to do...one of the national beat guys was harping on it during the training camp live tweets and i think he's right...defenders line up in gaps and our guys have no shot of getting to em on some stuff...oline just not as athletic as you would like for this scheme...pouncey samuda the exceptions...clabo may have been that athletic before but he's not right now..

jerry getting plain whooped off the ball repeatedly in line quite the eye opener also...hoping some of that was rust but i doubt it

I got spoiled in the '70s when our linemen were so athletic. I guess I assumed it would always be that way. Only Norm Evans at right tackle was a somewhat limited athlete who got away with smarts. The forgotten man of that group, Wayne Moore at left tackle, was a former basketball player.

It's been maddening for more than a decade that our offensive line has featured clod athletes, more often than not. When we get a skilled athlete he invariably gets injured and doesn't last too long.

Pouncey is the exception now. Sometimes he dictates the play and makes the others look better than they are. Clabo mostly absorbs at this point. He gets to the correct spot and forces the defender to be exceptional to blow him up. It's like a breakwater at right tackle. I can't imagine we won't look to upgrade next year.

I appreciate that Martin's poor conditioning has been spotlighted in this thread. It jumped out at me immediately late Saturday night when I watched a tape of the game. I came to this site at 4 AM and expected it to be a big topic, then I was shocked when there was nothing. I emphasized it in the "SOMEWHAT encouraged" thread.

Back
Top Bottom