Hurricane Irma Only thread | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hurricane Irma Only thread

I figured as much, but just wasn't sure. I saw a show on tv, about a woman who owned a $25M ground floor apt in NYC, where her closet was actually a vault; and her windows were not only hurricane graded, but bullet proof as well. She mentioned how the windows kept the noise out and her closet was also her panic room, in case of an intruder. Since then, I've always wondered about things that you mentioned in your post. May I ask, hurricane proofing a house in Florida usually means the outer walls are made of cinder blocks and concrete? But what about the interiors of those homes? Still using wood or aluminum studs? I know there are codes, but I'm unfamiliar. Thanks Shula

The new code is 8" walls made of steel reinforced CBS I believe (first floor). Interior doesn't matter unless you build a safe room. Interior is standard wood and/or metal u-channel with drywall sheets.

Houses build under the old code can easily survive if the roof to house connections have been upgraded and window opening are covered with approved shutters and/or windows.
My house is a 79 build and the roof was connected with toenails (as it was standard). I upgraded to straps on every truss and also installed Cat 5 approved windows. The only thing this house will tear down is a tornado which unfortunately you find in abundance in hurricanes. Those tornados were the main culprit during Andrew who had an estimated 900 tornadoes in or near the eye wall. I doubt Andrew alone would have caused such damage, It was a Cat IV Hurricane.

EDIT: let me correct that. Not actually Tornadoes. Those funky spinning mini tornadoes. I think they call them micro bursts or something.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Gonna take a sharp turn East! That's my hope and possible too

I've written more flood policies in the last two days than I have all year. lol

Im going on holiday for a couple of weeks tomorrow. May have internet and be around, but may have none; so I will say it now- stay safe folks, hope the storm somehow turns and misses you all

We may not have the warmest weather in the world over here, but we dont get much extreme weather either. Thats a tradeoff im willing to accept

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom