Hurricane Irma Only thread | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hurricane Irma Only thread

Jesus just saw the reports from barbuda. I have the utmost sympathy for anyone in the mainland US caught up in these storms. But god help the poor people on those islands who dont even have any chance to flee or recieve any form of outside help or resources

Jesus just saw the reports from barbuda. I have the utmost sympathy for anyone in the mainland US caught up in these storms. But god help the poor people on those islands who dont even have any chance to flee or recieve any form of outside help or resources
Having lived on a small island near the region known as the South Pacific where these storms rolled through 2-3 times a season, my guess is those islands are built to with standstorms. It was crazy to have a Cat 5 storm and be back to work less than 24 hours after winds subsided with literally, minimal damage (power outages, flipped cars, trees down).

Last edited:
But I thought we could play a game Thursday night and still have everything prepared for the hurricane on Sunday morning? :roflmao

Hard for people to understand unless you live here and been through this before I suppose. I thought at one point early on that Thursday was maybe possible, but gave up on that option quickly.

Having lived on a small island near the region known as the South Pacific where these storms rolled through 2-3 times a season, my guess is those islands are built to with stand storms. It was crazy to have a Cat 5 storm and be back to work less than 24 hours after winds subsided with literally, minimal damage (power outages, flipped cars, trees down).

apparently barbuda is 90% destroyed and mostly underwater :/ maybe they can withstand a lot of storms, not this one

Having lived on a small island near the region known as the South Pacific where these storms rolled through 2-3 times a season, my guess is those islands are built to with standstorms. It was crazy to have a Cat 5 storm and be back to work less than 24 hours after winds subsided with literally, minimal damage (power outages, flipped cars, trees down).
You are right...watching the news tonight they showed the structures there and they all look like 8' high block construction with minimal angles and windows.

They have seen this dog & pony show before...

Prayers to Fla residents and all in its path...as a Fran survivor I know what a hurricane can do. Its a powerful force that will keep coming at you long after you have had enough.

Hard for people to understand unless you live here and been through this before I suppose. I thought at one point early on that Thursday was maybe possible, but gave up on that option quickly.

Even if the wind stayed down it would have been off due to a lack police manpower and resources anyway.

I did expect it to be played in a neutral venue though

Aparantly barbuda is 90% destroyed and mostly underwater :/ maybe they can withstand a lot of storms, not this one
Perhaps they don't build them the same way. Its always puzzled me why the coastal states potentially in the path of hurricanes dont have codes that building's and homes are made of concrete and/or other materials that can survive these storms. Maybe because these storms are infrequent.

You are right...watching the news tonight they showed the structures there and they all look like 8' high block construction with minimal angles and windows.

They have seen this dog & pony show before...

Prayers to Fla residents and all in its path...as a Fran survivor I know what a hurricane can do. Its a powerful force that will keep coming at you long after you have had enough.

We evacuated for Andrew from Ft Laud but after that my only experience was minor Hurricanes in the 1-2 range and we'd literally have hurricane parties. BBQ, get loaded, and play cards by lanterns or flashlights all night long. That was until last year when Matthew hit up here in Jax and I got a newfound respect for them. It was incredibly loud and intense for almost 12 straight hours.

Last edited:
My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. I lived through Andrew when I was a young child. I have a lot of family and friends through out Florida. Still praying this thing turns east hard before it gets to Florida.

Stay safe, guys. Thinking of my cousins and Aunt up in Boca.

Although if I know them, most of them will be at the Irishmen riding it out.

Back
Top Bottom