Hyde: Draft Winds IV - A thorough breakdown of Cam Newton (w/ video) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde: Draft Winds IV - A thorough breakdown of Cam Newton (w/ video)

And nowadays, I'm going to be frank here, I question exactly how much "more" it takes than that talent and accuracy, to be a franchise QB in today's NFL. I think it definitely takes a lot more in order to be a guy like a Brady or Manning, Brees, Rivers, Rodgers....but Ben Rapistberger? Really? How much more has he been bringing to the table than his boat load of talent?

Just an incredible breakdown, job well done by you guys (CK and Boomer).

IMO, I don't think Newton is the guy to sell the farm on, that is me . . . but if Jeff Ireland feels he is, by all means show some confidence in the QB position and turn him into the guy that can lead your franchise to a Super Bowl within the next 5 years. One thing he will do is help the home attendance . . . what better way than to draft a Heisman trophy winner who had one of the greatest college football seasons at the QB position we have ever seen. The off the field stuff does concern me, and you can't put a blind eye towards it, but I am definitely intrigued by Cam Newton . . . I just don't think he is a realistic option . . . and he will NOT get past the Buffalo Bills so we would need to trade with Denver . . . if Carolina doesn't select him. That is going to be a hot spot in the draft so Miami will probably need to give up this years first and 3rd, and next years first, second and third (assuming we can't trade players with the draft happening first). Very steep price I am not willing to pay, but once again that is not my decision. If you look at it as Cam Newton for 2 first rounders, 2 Patrick Turners and a Pat White, it doesn't seem so bad . . . but maybe that isn't enough either (2 firsts a 2nd and 2 thirds).

I still think with this regime on thin ice, they are going to roll with Henne and a veteran FA like Hasselback, Bulger or Smith, draft offense, offense and more offense . . . take a developmental guy like Yates later on and try to win this year like that . . . and depending on those results they/or another regime will have the option to get a QB in what looks to be a deeper QB class at a much better price in 2012

We will know soon enough.

And nowadays, I'm going to be frank here, I question exactly how much "more" it takes than that talent and accuracy, to be a franchise QB in today's NFL. I think it definitely takes a lot more in order to be a guy like a Brady or Manning, Brees, Rivers, Rodgers....but Ben Rapistberger? Really? How much more has he been bringing to the table than his boat load of talent?

It takes a competent coaching staff for one...

If he some how makes it past Buffalo at #3, then there should be serious discusions in the Fins draft room about moving up to Cincy's spot. That's limiting damage because you know with their lack of a scouting department in that franchise they probably aren't going to do anything good with the picks we trade to them (the ones from this year and next) anyway. I wouldn't be opposed to giving them this year's and next year's #1's along with a mid round pick from this year and next year or even less if we can put one over on them.

i understand that but how do you not beg borrow and steal (as mayock would say) to get in position to take a chance on that kind of talent... holy cow...i agree with ck and boom that kids got once a decade physical talent

There is no answer to that one my friend... If you're sold on the guy, you do whatever it takes to get him.

There's not a player on Miami's roster that isn't worth getting rid of just in exchange for a top 10 NFL quarterback... much less a top 5.

Thanks guys. That was your best Draft Winds piece in 2+ years. I can't wait to get home and view the videos....freakin work blocks youtube access

do you give up the possibility of being in position to land andrew luck next year our 1st rounder in 2012 to move up this year and take a chance on all of cam newtons physical abilities...hmmm...

thats the next question...what is the cost we are talking about here??? carolina could have a plethora of teams all with better current draft slots than us and all looking for a franchise qb like us bartering for that #1 pick...i could see the price being astronomical and us being easily outbid...without the cba i don't think we can acquire the assets necessary to get into serious play...and without a rookie wage scale we are gonna sink $50 mil plus in that number 1 pick

do you give up the possibility of being in position to land andrew luck next year our 1st rounder in 2012 to move up this year and take a chance on all of cam newtons physical abilities...hmmm...

thats the next question...what is the cost we are talking about here??? carolina could have a plethora of teams all with better current draft slots than us and all looking for a franchise qb like us bartering for that #1 pick...i could see the price being astronomical and us being easily outbid...without the cba i don't think we can acquire the assets necessary to get into serious play...and without a rookie wage scale we are gonna sink $50 mil plus in that number 1 pick

I heard if the draft happens first we woulnd't be able to trade players? If that is true, yea I can imagine it would be harder for a team like Miami, drafting 15th to move up to #2 . . . with other teams in front of us having to give up less to make the same move. Denver is in a real good spot if Carolina passes on Newton because I would be shocked if Buffalo didn't take him, and Carolina is in a good spot if they can trade out and they don't like Newton. Hell Buffalo may trade up with Carolina to avoid Denver getting in play. They wouldn't have to give up much, and Carolina would still be in play for a guy they probably were considering at #1 (Green or Fairley). Buffalo probably would have to give up their 2nd rounder. Not a bad investment to secure your future. Wonder how Cam would fair in Buffalo :lol:

I heard if the draft happens first we woulnd't be able to trade players? If that is true, yea I can imagine it would be harder for a team like Miami, drafting 15th to move up to #2 . . . with other teams in front of us having to give up less to make the same move. Denver is in a real good spot if Carolina passes on Newton because I would be shocked if Buffalo didn't take him, and Carolina is in a good spot if they can trade out and they don't like Newton. Hell Buffalo may trade up with Carolina to avoid Denver getting in play. They wouldn't have to give up much, and Carolina would still be in play for a guy they probably were considering at #1 (Green or Fairley). Buffalo probably would have to give up their 2nd rounder. Not a bad investment to secure your future. Wonder how Cam would fair in Buffalo :lol:

for some reason and its pretty much just my gut at this point i don't think buffalo will go qb...although if i was them i would...as for the trade if buffalo wanted to move up to #1 i doubt just their 2nd rounder would do it cause if someone really wants cam newton in that top 10 they'll give up more than just their top 10 pick and a 2nd rounder to make it happen...and to me if carolina stays in the top 10 in addition to draft picks they are gonna get a heck of a talented position player to add to their club...what may keep teams away from trading up would be if there is no new cba and teams feel like they are gonna drop the $50 plus mil guaranteed into that #1 pick...a rookie wage scale imo helps carolina trade the pick for assets but it also makes taking a chance on say newton with the top pick that much less of a financial risk should they decide to go that route

for some reason and its pretty much just my gut at this point i don't think buffalo will go qb...although if i was them i would...as for the trade if buffalo wanted to move up to #1 i doubt just their 2nd rounder would do it cause if someone really wants cam newton in that top 10 they'll give up more than just their top 10 pick and a 2nd rounder to make it happen...and to me if carolina stays in the top 10 in addition to draft picks they are gonna get a heck of a talented position player to add to their club

I agree there are teams that would give up more . . . I was saying just a 2nd, because Carolina would want to remain in the top 3 to guarantee them getting either Fairley or Green. Moving out of the top 3 would jeoparidze that as those could easily be the next 2 picks.

I agree there are teams that would give up more . . . I was saying just a 2nd, because Carolina would want to remain in the top 3 to guarantee them getting either Fairley or Green. Moving out of the top 3 would jeoparidze that as those could easily be the next 2 picks.

i think bowers could be in play also at end for carolina as the replacement for peppers...among others...especially now that i know that daquan played with a meniscus injury half the season i am second guessing my he's overrated take...robert quinn another possibility...

Itd be funny if Denver took Cam (doubt it) and Tebow was his backup

Back
Top Bottom