Hyde: Draft Winds IV - A thorough breakdown of Cam Newton (w/ video) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde: Draft Winds IV - A thorough breakdown of Cam Newton (w/ video)

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spo...aveHyde-blog+(Dave+Hyde+|+Sun+Sentinel+blogs)

So what are the facts? 1. Newton, whilst at Florida, was arrested by police after purchasing a stolen laptop. When it seemed as though he would be caught, he threw the computer out of his dorm window. On his arrest he was charged, according to Alachua County jail records, with burglary, larceny and obstruction of justice. The laptop belonged to a Florida student called Paul Loschak who reported it stolen in October of 2008. A week later he got an email from the school to say that his internet access was being shut down for using the file share programme Limewire, something he’d never installed on his computer. Campus authorities found that someone using Newton’s school log-in was using the computer and moved to arrest the then Gator back up QB. Loschak said he decided against pursuing the charges because he was graduating from UF in the spring and didn't want to return for court hearings. He also was afraid of retribution if Newton was kicked off the team, stating that at the time he was “more interested in my safety." Newton was required to attend anti-theft counseling, write an apology letter to Loschak and do 50 hours of community service in exchange for charges eventually being dropped.
2. That Newton was guilty of academic dishonesty whilst at Florida. He decided to transfer in the spring of 2009 because he wanted to play football. Understandable given his talent and the fact that he was behind Tim Tebow on the depth chart. However it was revealed in the late fall of 2010 that he was facing possible expulsion from the University at the time of his transfer after a Fox.com report that he had a “cheating issue” in his freshman year and then two more in his sophomore year. Whilst information about the freshman transgression is sketchy, as a sophomore Newton put his name on another student's paper and turned it in. Newton then turned in a second paper to the instructor, but that was later found to have been purchased off the Internet. Student conduct records are protected by law so it’s doubtful further information will be forthcoming.
3. Newton was guilty of a number of traffic violations during his time in Gainesville. Alachua County records again state that a Cameron Jerrell Newton with the Auburn quarterback's birth date of May 11 1989 had 12 tickets over a two-year period. All of them were for minor moving or non moving traffic violations: failure to stop at a red light, tag obscured/improperly displayed, unlawful speeding, failure to obey, passing in a no passing zone, drivers license not carried, running a red light, failure to obey, unlawful speed, drivers license not carried, violation of municipal speed limit and knowingly driving whilst suspended.
4. The most damaging allegations against Newton were those that came to light early in November and surrounded his father, Cecil Newton Sr. and his demanding of money from Mississippi State for Cam to sign there after leaving Blinn Community College. John Bond, an ex MSU QB said he was approached by a former teammate on behalf of Cam’s father, asking for $180,000 in exchange for sending his son there. There was a lot of intrigue surrounding Cecil Newton’s church, the Holy Zion Centre of Deliverance which has struggled to keep the city from condemning it due to the extensive repairs needed. The NCAA closely examined how Cam ended up at Auburn but ruled that he had no knowledge of any improper payments being made on his behalf and ruled him eligible to play. What’s interesting about this is the role of Dan Mullen, the MSU coach. I tried unsuccessfully to discover whether Cam’s brother, Cecil Jr. who plays for the Jacksonville Jaguars, was recruited by Mullen when he was at Utah in 2003-4. But what I do know is that when Cam himself was a high school junior in 2005, Mullen was integral in recruiting him to Florida. During that initial recruitment process, Cam’s father was quoted as saying: “Dan Mullen is a good friend of mine". It was a line that came up again when Newton was being recruited by the Bulldogs on leaving Blinn. On that occasion his choice was narrowed to three schools, MSU, Auburn and Oklahoma and Cecil was again quoted discussing his admiration for Mullen who was now HC at Mississippi State: “We are fond of Dan and Cameron is fond of Dan. Dan is fond of Cam. That may have the makings of a good marriage.” The abiding question for me is that is if the relationship between Mullen and Cam Newton was as strong as has been reported on both sides – Mullen’s wife and Cam were friends – why didn’t he go to MSU? It’s a question Mullen himself was asked himself on Rivals radio and the response was a fascinating insight: “That’s a long, long story. That’ll be in the book.”

Thank you guys for the kind comments. Boomer said this elsewhere but if we could ask just one favor in return, if you really liked the article please comment on it in the blog, as those comments are what the higher-ups at the Sun Sentinel look at in order to see if this is a worthwhile venture (allowing us to continue writing for them). There are those within the Sun Sentinel that are not so hot on our involvement, I think, and so it helps for the Sun Sentinel people to see that people really appreciate the articles. Otherwise we won't be able to keep bringing you this stuff. Thanks.

It's funny, I didn't start really looking into Newton until it became apparent to me that Gabbert would go much higher than #15 (keep in mind that I didn't get to watch much football - aside from catching the Dolphins at a bar - this season, due to a move among other things). I knew I didn't love what I saw from Mallett. I was pretty taken back by Newton. I didn't see the QB I thought I would, and I started getting really excited at the prospect of Miami drafting him at #15. So much for that.

I mentioned it briefly in the blog post, but I love Newton's ability to throw off his back foot. It's very reminiscent of Big Ben. I think Newton's ability to extend plays will grant him a lot more immediate success than people are predicting. As CK said earlier, Big Ben - though he improved at it this year - has never excelled at reading D's. If he were forced to make quick decisions, I don't think he'd be a very successful NFL QB. But, because of his size, athleticism, and ability to keep his eyes down field, he makes tons of big plays, and I think we're seeing it now more than ever: that's the kind of QB who has the most NFL playoff success. You have to get those big plays, because playoff D's won't let you methodically drive the ball down the field.

Thank you guys for the kind comments. Boomer said this elsewhere but if we could ask just one favor in return, if you really liked the article please comment on it in the blog, as those comments are what the higher-ups at the Sun Sentinel look at in order to see if this is a worthwhile venture (allowing us to continue writing for them). There are those within the Sun Sentinel that are not so hot on our involvement, I think, and so it helps for the Sun Sentinel people to see that people really appreciate the articles. Otherwise we won't be able to keep bringing you this stuff. Thanks.

Like everyone else, I think these pieces are fantastic. Consider it happily done.

I urge everyone who enjoyed this article to do the same.

The throw you're referring to highlights his arm strength, but also his bad mechanics... it's not a throw you want see how times you'll get away with in the NFL.

The throw at 7:25 is as mechanically perfect from the ground up as Cam Newton can get.... that's what the polished version of Cam Newton looks like.

Kid's supremely talented... but it takes so much more than that to be a franchise quarterback.

The 7:25 pass was astounding. Weight transfer, feet in the direction of the throws, etc. Plus the velocity and ball location. That was basically a perfect throw on the NFL level. However, the question is, can he do it consistently?

He's still so young in his career, and he improved so much during the year, and he's still improving. It would be one thing if after four years of starting he was still resisting proper footwork, but that's not the case. Footwork really is not the toughest thing to change in a quarterback. I've even seen a Director of Player Personnel talk about exactly that with respect to Newton. It's a blessing that Newton won't have to mess with his delivery at all.

Fantastic article. If all that talk about his commitment to watching tape, and perfecting his timing with his receivers, etc. is true, we have no shot at him sadly. The physical talent is ridiculous. The work ethic in the weight room is a given considering he's 250 lbs with 6% body fat. He's had his fair share of character issues, but I think he's matured. His father is an issue, but seriously, is he really that different than most other players agents? I'd give my left nut to get him in a Dolphins uniform, that's for sure.

Done. Tremendous job CK and Boomer. Thoroughly enjoyed it (great distraction while the kids watched Glee!). I've been convinced that Cam was worth the risk early on, but now I'm excited about this guy's possibility of being special. Problem is, I think it's going to be impossible to land Cam or Gabbert at 15. Time for Ireland to earn that contract and figure out a way to make it happen. Hope the CBA get's done pre-draft so we don't have to trade a big part of the 2012 draft to do it.

Done. You and Simon are putting out a great product and I very much appreciate your time and effort. This kid is ridiculously talented and you know my concerns which parallel TedSlimms; however, they are slowly melting away. I know at some point you have to throw the dice and hope for 7s when you are going for a franchise QB and Newton is very tempting. Although I doubt the front office would pull the trigger to move into the top 5 to draft him I would be ecstatic if they did.

Awesome job dispelling so many of the myths out there about Cam Newton. Shows how fans get hung up on the negative sensational headlines, like the laptop incident, and then label a player as being of poor character without having a clue to what the person/player is really like. Fantastic research.

Loved this point you made...

Dan Marino once said that if he were to evaluate a quarterback the first thing he would ask him to do is throw off his back foot 100 times in practice, because an NFL pocket is regularly a cluttered mess where proper foot mechanics become impossible and often undesirable. Newton’s delivery is a naturally wristy one, but hasn’t shown to be a problem for him. He possesses very large hands that grip the football easily and give him great control through the delivery’s finish. The ball comes off hot with good spin. These large hands also give him great control of the ball in his fake and hand-off mechanics. He is able to execute pump fakes regularly and without risk. His large hands also help him keep hold of the football while being sacked, and you’ll notice that he only lost two fumbles all year, both on plays where he was carrying the ball up the field.

Although Cam may not have the greatest mechanics, his mechanics are good enough when there isn't pressure. But his ability to throw without being able to plant his feet clearly sets not only apart from every other QB in this years draft, but most of the QBs already playing on Sundays.

Also enjoy watching the way he is able to run a play-action out of the shotgun in a spread offense when he is the only one in the backfield by taking a step or two forward. The defense has to respect his ability to be able to take off with the ball.

If Miami does have the option to take Newton given his unique physical abilities and work ethic at the most important position on the field and pass on him then it shows that Ireland/Sparano are just plain ****ING NUTS!

Well done CK and Boomer. Great stuff. Newton is really as impressive physically as I've seen from the qb position and seemingly, as you suggested, would be a perfect wildcat type quarterback. Probably out of reach for Miami, but will be interesting to see how this pans out. Thanks for the great work.

Best piece of sports journalism I have seen in a long time.

Great work guys. Very enjoyable read.

It was a great article, a great read that was well worth the time. I emailed it to one of my old college buddies who is also a Fin fan. I'm guessing he didn't actually read the article because he emailed me back saying that if the Fins draft Newton then he won't be a Fin fan next season.

After reading this article, if you're still saying things like "Newton is JeMarcus Russell 2.0" or he's a "run first typical spread QB" then I don't know what to say. Maybe Newton doesn't pan out as a franchise QB, but you've at least got to make that an informed opinion and not just spout the same rhetorical nonsense.

Great job guys!

It was a great article, a great read that was well worth the time. I emailed it to one of my old college buddies who is also a Fin fan. I'm guessing he didn't actually read the article because he emailed me back saying that if the Fins draft Newton then he won't be a Fin fan next season.

After reading this article, if you're still saying things like "Newton is JeMarcus Russell 2.0" or he's a "run first typical spread QB" then I don't know what to say. Maybe Newton doesn't pan out as a franchise QB, but you've at least got to make that an informed opinion and not just spout the same rhetorical nonsense.

Great job guys!

Agreed. The J. Russell talk is pretty tired.

Great job guys!

thats exactly what one of my skins fans buddies said...i haven't sent him this link yet but he says if the skins take newton at #10 it will be a major mistake...obviously i don't share that opinion

Back
Top Bottom