Hyde5: Draft or free agency for Dolphins disastrous LB unit? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde5: Draft or free agency for Dolphins disastrous LB unit?

You can play:
Allen SAM
McMillan MLB
R Smith WLB

Play Smith/ McMillan - 70% Nickel
Play some TJ in Hybrid with those 2

I really like this lineup, I just don't see us throwing Kiko to the bench.
I suppose Kiko could be first backup to all three LB positions.

Kiko was asked to do things he couldn't do. Kiko had a terrible year but that scheme was doomed from the start. Burke hung him out to dry, no way Kiko should be anyone's cover LBer.
He didn't get hung out to dry by Burke, but rather he had to do a job that no one else on the defense could do. We didn't have another safety that could allow Mcdonald to cover tight ends and you were not having Timmons do it. Maybe Stephone Anthony has the athleticism to do it but from apparently doesn't have it between the ears. It was an imperfect defensive roster and he was the only one that could maybe do it. That is why we need another linebacker or safety so bad as it allows Kiko to just worry about his own position and play and not have to do something he clearly wasn't good at doing.

Getting an outside linebacker and a free safety completely changes this defense. Kiko can still be good if used differently.

Reactions: BSQ
What is that Kiko can do?
All this BS about he was asked to do something he can't do. He is too slow and too weak. Case closed. He's tall, has an interesting name and haircut.

Let's move on please.
He happened to jump on some fumbles and ran into some Ints 2 years ago.

I can't watch another game with Kiko starting. I just can't. The coverage issues were easy to see, but I had a big problem with the way he played the run too. When Kiko is free to pursue, he's really good. When he's the focal point of the run, it gets really messy.

This was a bad signing. Kiko was not meant to aggressively fill gaps. The coaching staff needs to acknowledge a poor fit and move on.

McMillan is the Mike, sorry, but Kiko's not going back to Mike as long as McMillan is healthy. Kiko is the Will, but I do expect him to fare better next year alongside McMillan. At Sam, I think we'll see competition between Chase Allen (my preferred choice) and Stephone Anthony, as well as possibly a rookie or FA.

Don't be surprised if we stand pat at LB though. We have one solution in McMillan and we're committed to Kiko, who has both good and bad tape. We play 2 LB's most of the time. We're not going to draft a LB in the 1st, so people salivating over Roquon Smith are likely to be disappointed.

It is possible that we play even more nickel/dime coverage and stick a DB like TJ McDonald in as an extra LB. With Raekwon McMillan as our primary run-stuffer, we could scheme more to funnel the run game into him.

Personally, I know people will be frustrated by it, but I'm expecting us to again invest in DL and not put a ton of resources (draft or FA) into our LB corps. In a 43, your DL needs to dominate, and ours needs work.

If the Dolphins do not invest in better coverage LBs and a true FS us Dolphins fans will once again be disappointed. As the defense will get shredded by TEs and RBs again in 2018. The only difference would be that with better QB play the Dolphins should score more points and have a shot to win a few more games. However if they continue to stick their heads in the sand and ignore the LB and FS positions they will not be a serious playoff contender. I know there is only so much they can do with the resources they have. However the lack of speed and overall talent at LB and the lack of a Safety with good range needs to be addressed.

On Defense WLB, SLB, FS, & DE are pressing needs. Allen and Anthony still have a lot to prove on the field while Alonso is a known liability that they are stuck with due to an awful contract handed out to him last year. The goal is to get dominant players as starters and quality players as backups who can also play special teams.

Dolphins cannot count on McMillan returning - if he does its gravy.

When a player gets injured like he did you need to chalk up the pick as a bust.
Why can't we count on Raekwon McMillan returning? He is young. He was unlucky to get injured (his very first serious injury). He had the surgery on the ACL around July. Reports are that his rehab is going well. He was a top rated middle linebacker with outstanding leadership skills in college who we drafted in the 2nd round, why the hell can't we count on him returning???? These sort of posts calling him a bust are premature and inflammatory - probably intended to irritate Dolphin fans.

I started reading Hyde's article with excitement thinking about the possibilities of the draft. Then I remembered the countless times we screwed the pooch in the draft and crapped out with free agents.

Needless to say, I'm at the point where I don't even care anymore

Roquan Smith played MLB in college and played it very very well also... far better than Mcmillain did in college actually. So does that mean Roquan should only play MLB in the NFL? Guys play a certain position in hs and college then get switched in the pros all the time.

Roquan was a 3-4 Weakside Inside Linebacker, not a true inside LB.

Roquan isn't even the top OLB in the draft. It's VT's Tremaine Edmunds & the 'draft analysts' are starting to catch up. Size, speed, instincts... he's the

Back
Top Bottom