Hyde5: Draft or free agency for Dolphins disastrous LB unit? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde5: Draft or free agency for Dolphins disastrous LB unit?

What sucks is the Raiders have the same LB need that we have and pick right in front of us. They may take Roquan Smith.

I didn't fully realize how shallow the LB free agent pool was until I just looked it up. I sure hope the team can figure out the right combination of free agency and the draft and at least put an average LB corps together.

I think that McMillan is young enough that he will be fine once he gets through OTA's and training camp, although I haven't heard a whole lot about his recovery.

From here I just don't see how Smith can be the value pick at 11. We're looking for a play maker so let's take a look at Smith as a "play maker"
6.5 sacks
3 PD
ZERO INT's

That's for his whole college career
A ball hawk he's not and that might have to do with his lack of size. He might just be 6'0. I guess we'll find out soon.
Can he cover all these big and tall TE's in the NFL that are going to be 5 to 6 inches taller and 30 lbs heavier?
Do we want to take yet another risk that early?

I know he's been a good player in college but I want to know that he can be a great player in the NFL and at this point I just don't see it

Ozzy rules!!

Not saying Smith is the answer but very similar numbers to Reuben foster except Smith has 41 more tackles.

You can’t legitimately find a good place for Kiko can you? Where do we play him next year? I agree the FO won’t have him ride the pine at those dollars but it’s a problem. Obviously it depends on FA and our pick but what’s your ideal 2018 LB unit look like?

Ideals a strong word you mean what’s in house or what I think is what they are looking for ask wise of their lbs or a mixture of in house and draft or free agency or just my plain old personal preference

I prefer plus instincts and feel at the position across the board but the ask of different positions is different.

And I haven’t gotten very far draft wise in tbe lb group yet.

I know that Edmunds and jewell would be on my targets list but does either fix our main problem probably not. It just gives me a better lb group overall to work with.

And where does their value to us come in. Kikos money tells me he’s a 2018 plan a. Going into the season

Honestly I could wrap about this all day long. There’s just so many different scenarios at play here but I personally don’t see raekwon moved from 2 down mike at least or Kiko in base from weak and being a starting nickel as the plan so I’m in tbe what are we pairing with these guys mode.

It’s not out of the realm of possibility that they see a anthony or allen even at strong Raekwon at mike and Kiko at weak with Kiko and Anthony as plan a nickels as good enough if they can add a carry coverage size safety like a derwin james to the mix or a jack of many trades in minkah.

I don’t think Roquan Smith is gonna be green lighted for the scheme at 11 though. That much I’m confident in. Due to size and poa

Last edited:
I'd go draft over FA to get LBs. I'm a bit wary of picking up guys that other teams let go, even if it is over dollar amounts, unless they're Seattle LBs or some crazy bargain.
Agree. All you wind up doing is overpay for them. I’d rather overpay Jarvis and draft some LBs.

It's not as if James would disrupt the LOS with his POA and make tackles in the backfield.

Evans would be the one guy who could do both but he played very little in that lber room and had little production surrounded by that supporting cast. But the same can be said about any 'bama player. I guess you go by the tape and decide based on it cause stats are misleading one way and the athlete is misleading the other.

I like the tape.

Tahir Whitehead is a guy I don't hear named often and if we love Lions defenders as much as it seems, he'd be a no brainer.

10 carreer picks 30 pds or some' like that.

I like the Evans tape too

Not elite range but good enough athlete looks good miamis gonna love the size poa play solid has some thump on contact

Tick late to see it on some things but this class is loaded with that anyways

I say BPA at 11 and pick up Malik Jefferson in the 2nd round
some red flags here

Malik Jefferson*, ILB, Texas
Height: 6-3. Weight: 238.
Projected 40 Time: 4.68.
Projected Round (2018): 2-3.

1/13/18: Jefferson totaled 110 tackles with 10 tackles for a loss and four sacks in 2017. He played hard for Texas and turned in his best season. Jefferson isn't great in pass coverage or at taking on blocks in the run game. He is at his best being a pursuit linebacker when running free.

Sources have said that teams are hearing that Jefferson doesn't have a deep love for football. That was illustrated in him not producing up to his great skill set early on in his collegiate career and in offseason training according to league contacts. Jefferson supposedly was unhappy with his role in the former staff's scheme, but that makes team sources question if Jefferson's work ethic will change when he has coaches going and coming as a pro.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018ILB.php#0ODDzwyGJ4qECEEv.99

Ozzy rules!!

I know people talk about McM as if he were a saviour. Stupid panic man crush.

McM was a high DRAFT PICK and came from a top college program and was a tackling machine for said program.
It’s perfectly reasonable to expect him to be a good player for the phins.
Some of you act as if knee injuries are career enders, even though we are now in the 21st century and DOZENS of players return at 100% following surgery.
We are debating building through FA vs the draft and your silly post is critical of the latter.

some red flags here

1/13/18: Jefferson totaled 110 tackles with 10 tackles for a loss and four sacks in 2017. He played hard for Texas and turned in his best season. Jefferson isn't great in pass coverage or at taking on blocks in the run game. He is at his best being a pursuit linebacker when running free.

Sources have said that teams are hearing that Jefferson doesn't have a deep love for football. That was illustrated in him not producing up to his great skill set early on in his collegiate career and in offseason training according to league contacts. Jefferson supposedly was unhappy with his role in the former staff's scheme, but that makes team sources question if Jefferson's work ethic will change when he has coaches going and coming as a pro.

Ozzy rules!!
Well those are some major red flags if true. Kid can play though.

some red flags here

Ozzy rules!!
I read similar rumors about Jefferson as well. Ideally we get Smith in Round 1 and than grab a tight end like Dallas Goedert in round 2. I just firmly believe it's time we invest a first round pick in a linebacker.

Malik Jefferson doesn’t love football?

It looks like it on tape. Hard pass

McM was a high DRAFT PICK and came from a top college program and was a tackling machine for said program.
It’s perfectly reasonable to expect him to be a good player for the phins.
Some of you act as if knee injuries are career enders, even though we are now in the 21st century and DOZENS of players return at 100% following surgery.
We are debating building through FA vs the draft and your silly post is critical of the latter.

Well, let me put it this way: Until I see the player actually take the field and play well, I can't pencil him in as a good NFL football player.

Do I have high hopes for McMillan? Yes, yes I do. But I think you still have to look at him with at least some degree of skepticism given that you've never seen him in action in a pro football game, not even in the preseason.

Back
Top Bottom