Hyde5: Draft or free agency for Dolphins disastrous LB unit? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde5: Draft or free agency for Dolphins disastrous LB unit?

Well those are some major red flags if true. Kid can play though.
For sure he has talent. I'm just passing that along but I of course never met him so I don't know how much to put into it. Every year we hear stories about different players and some come true and some don't. Time will tell

Ozzy rules!!

Evans is mostly north/south while Roquan Smith is east/west. It's true that Evans tends to blend in that Alabama defense. I think he will emerge as someone who is a superior player than it sometimes appeared in college, once he's unleashed. Truck athlete.

Matthew Thomas is someone to look at in the later rounds. He obviously thinks highly of himself since he sat out the bowl game. Another 5 star recruit departing Florida State's defense. Not a favorite among Canes fans due to the recruiting process, which made Thomas famous nationally before he ever played a college game. Supposedly he wanted to enroll at USC but his mom refused to sign the paperwork. College career has featured lots of injuries and at least one suspension due to grades. Not nearly the body of work expected from a 5 year player. But he has rare athletic ability for someone who will not be a premium pick. I like to keep track of those guys. If I were running a draft the mid to late rounds would be one player after another of this type -- elite recruit at a school stockpiled with talent and the player never fully established himself as a top rated prospect, for whatever reason. Last year there were lots of easy ones, like Carl Lawson and Stacy Coley.

Who was the Dolphins highest rated LB last season?

Do you guys even know?

How do you have a thread like this and completely ignore Chase Allen??

A undrafted rookie from a small FCS school comes in and leads the NFL in tackles during the preseason and goes on to have a real good season.

Not only that, but his upside is through the roof.

He has everything you guys are talking about wanting in a MLB on this thread and you completely ignore him.

He is 6'3" 250 pounds and ran a 4.60 forty, with elite numbers in the shuttle and 3-cone that would have led the field at the combine.

He knew the defense last year better than the veterans, a brilliant young kid with fire and leadership qualities.

Who the hell are you people??

Again, how do you have a thread like this and ignore this player? He was our best LB last season. His grades prove that overwhelmingly. He was in PFF's top five grades for the Dolphins in almost every game he played significant snaps.

I didn't fully realize how shallow the LB free agent pool was until I just looked it up. I sure hope the team can figure out the right combination of free agency and the draft and at least put an average LB corps together.

I think that McMillan is young enough that he will be fine once he gets through OTA's and training camp, although I haven't heard a whole lot about his recovery.

He is doing great. I wouldn't worry about him picking up the mental aspects of the defense, he carried 3.5 GPA in college to go with his other accolades and laurels.

Getting Kiko off the field would do wonders for the Dolphins LB play.

McMillan is a MLB
R Smith is a WLB
The roster needs a SAM & WIL as it stands.
Mcmillian was projected as a SLB coming out of college, and hasn't played a single down in the NFL so I don't get where everybody is so hard pressed to call him a Mike. With that being said however I really don't care what anyone considers Roquan Smith's position to be... he'd be an upgrade at at any of the 3 lb spots, and a 3 down player that never comes off of the field.

Well, let me put it this way: Until I see the player actually take the field and play well, I can't pencil him in as a good NFL football player.

Do I have high hopes for McMillan? Yes, yes I do. But I think you still have to look at him with at least some degree of skepticism given that you've never seen him in action in a pro football game, not even in the preseason.

And the same can be said for EVERY PLAYER in the 2018 draft, including Roquan Smith.
What I do know is the coaching staff saw him in TC and felt comfortable enough to pencil him in as the starter give him play calling duties. That alone places him above every other potential draftee in the 2018 class.
I also know that he has prototypical size and speed for the position and had an excellent combine in addition to a very productive college career. He checks all the boxes, so I don’t think it’s a “stupid” to expect him to be a very solid starter for the Miami Dolphins.

You can play:
Allen SAM
McMillan MLB
R Smith WLB

Play Smith/ McMillan - 70% Nickel
Play some TJ in Hybrid with those 2

Mcmillian was projected as a SLB coming out of college, and hasn't played a single down in the NFL so I don't get where everybody is so hard pressed to call him a Mike. With that being said however I really don't care what anyone considers Roquan Smith's position to be... he'd be an upgrade at at any of the 3 lb spots, and a 3 down player that never comes off of the field.

Because he was the Mike out OSU, played it very very well.

No smart person projected him to be a SLB.

Kiko was asked to do things he couldn't do. Kiko had a terrible year but that scheme was doomed from the start. Burke hung him out to dry, no way Kiko should be anyone's cover LBer.

Because he was the Mike out OSU, played it very very well.

No smart person projected him to be a SLB.
Roquan Smith played MLB in college and played it very very well also... far better than Mcmillain did in college actually. So does that mean Roquan should only play MLB in the NFL? Guys play a certain position in hs and college then get switched in the pros all the time.

Back
Top Bottom