If Tannehill is out for the season, who do you want as starter? | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Tannehill is out for the season, who do you want as starter?

If Tannehill is out for season, who should be starter?

• Matt Moore

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Jay Cutler

Votes: 41 14.7%
  • Colin Kaepernick

Votes: 83 29.9%
  • Peyton Manning

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Nick Foles

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Tony Romo

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • Mark Sanchez

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Trade for a Young Backup QB

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Brock Osweiller

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
Moore. Nobody we sign now is taking this team to the Super Bowl, and probably isn't a long term starter. Roll over cap space, get a good pick, and focus on 2018 with a hopefully healthy Tannehill. Wasting money on a band-aid QB makes it harder to sign Landry long term.

No way we can bank on Moore for a season. That leaves no other legit options available on the roster -- the best match with Thill is Kapernick -- and Gase
could be the best coach for him as well. Kapernick has the athletic chops to support our run game and can chuck the rock deep and maybe complete
some underneath stuff and... Oh well. It would be a jazzy signing IMO.

Last edited:
As far as points 2 and 3 -- let's just say he can't run Gase's offense unless it's dumbed down. And man -- I've seen some of the dumbest play and poor throws from him. I laughed out loud more than once watching Kaep try to play a Pro level position. Glad you like him and all, but your judgement doesn't seem to be as keen tonight. Nor your humor. Which I totally understand. It's a dark night in Miami.

Least amount of Interceptions thrown in NFL history with at least 50 starts:

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Colin Kaepernick

Does it matter? Season is over lol

Actually we are still required to play all 16 games with 53 players on the roster despite the possibility of losing our starting QB. I know it seems crazy, but it's true.

If we sign Kaep I'll prove both points 2 and 3 wrong. As far as 1 goes, that's simply your erroneous, but rightful, take.

Kaep won't be able to run the full gamet of Gase's offense but to say he can't run a pro style offense is wrong.

But you actually like him? I remember back when he was at the top of his game I always felt his receivers bailed him out of a lot of iffy passes with some amazing catches. Boldin was there, can't recall who else. I remember wishing Tannehill had receivers like that to make him look good.

To be sure, Kaep should be in a roster somewhere, and if we give him the gig, heck I'd rather it be him than godforbid Sanchez, Osweiler or someone like that. So whatever. But do you actually actively like him?

Least amount of Interceptions thrown in NFL history with at least 50 starts:

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Colin Kaepernick

That's like saying a child doing paint by numbers made fewer mistakes than Leonardo da Vinci in painting the Mona Lisa.

C'mon man. You're better than this.

LD

But you actually like him? I remember back when he was at the top of his game I always felt his receivers bailed him out of a lot of iffy passes with some amazing catches. Boldin was there, can't recall who else. I remember wishing Tannehill had receivers like that to make him look good.

To be sure, Kaep should be in a roster somewhere, and if we give him the gig, heck I'd rather it be him than godforbid Sanchez, Osweiler or someone like that. So whatever. But do you actually actively like him?

We've got some great weapons to accommodate him.

Do I think he's a damn good QB like Tannehill? No. RT is superior.

Do I like him? That's irrelevant. Point is, if RT is out for the year, I feel Kaepernick is the best available option.

That's like saying a child doing paint by numbers made fewer mistakes than Leonardo da Vinci in painting the Mona Lisa.

C'mon man. You're better than this.

LD

giphy.gif

Ball security is one of the three major fundamentals to winning football along with tackling and blocking.

No way we can bank of Moore for a season. That leaves no other legit options available on the roster -- the best match with Thill is Kapernick -- and Gase
could be the best coach for him as well. Kapernick has the athletic chops to support our run game and can chuck the rock deep and maybe complete
some underneath stuff and... Oh well. It would be a jazzy signing IMO.

It is true what you say - I don't think Moore makes it through the season without getting banged up and missing some time. He's just prone to taking some big hits every now and then like in the Steelers game. That doesn't mean we need to sign a guy whose media attention is going to create a QB controversy from the moment they get here, which is especially silly considering Moore is the first Dolphin QB to win a playoff clinching game since Chad Pennington despite ample opportunity for guys like Henne and Tannehill to step up in December.

Teams haven't signed Kaepernick because his play on the field isn't good but his ability to disrupt and organization, whether you think its fair or not, is high. Teams don't sign backup QBs with a lot of baggage, they sign a guy who isn't gonna cause an issue, is gonna help the starter and the staff prepare for games, and can hopefully play in a pinch. If you have nobody and nothing else to lose, signing a guy like Kaep to come in and start might make sense. But we don't have nobody, we have a veteran QB who who has a better record as starter than a lot of QB's around the league who has played well given his chances and seems to be well liked by his teammates and brings a scrappy energy to his team. It's not ideal for him to start for an entire season, but in the absence of another legitimate starter you need to bring in a guy who can be Moore's backup and hopefully contribute when needed, not a guy who will turn the season into a crapstorm.

I dont care if Tannehill somehow doesnt have additional damage. After watching the video of his injury is clear that the best for his future is to have surgery. Those darn doctors made a bad and stupid decision last year.

Tannehill strenghts are gone with no mobility on his knee. He is not the kind of gunslinger that only needs his arm and little steps to succeed like Dan the man was. I think Matt Moore on two legs is way better than Tannehill would be with this issue and the sooner he starts practicing with the first team, the better for the chemistry of the offense. There is no QB on the market that will adjust as quick as needed an Moore was actually pretty good last year replacing Tannehill with few reps with the first team. I have watched every game of last year and to be honest Tannehill and Moore are not that far from each other. I would like to think that Gase somehow can adjust and plan for the strenghts that Moore has and land a competitive team this year. I dont think the season is lost because we lost the #16-22 QB. Just need to have faith in the rest of the team and Gase. There is no way this unstable version of Tannehill would lead us to something. Think on the long term, repair your starter and play the QB that has prooved he can do a decent job and knows the offense.

Do I like him? That's irrelevant. Point is, if RT is out for the year, I feel Kaepernick is the best available option.

I don't feel like a guy who is 11-24 over the last three years and who can't seem to run an NFL offense is the best option for anything except unemployment. And we're just talking about on the field.

That's really all that matters -- what our best option is. I think we need to get really proactive and get it done right away.

Bring in Kap with the idea the starting position is up for grabs because the way Ryan's knee just buckled doesn't say much in terms of stability.

I don't feel like a guy who is 11-24 over the last three years and who can't seem to run an NFL offense is the best option for anything except unemployment. And we're just talking about on the field.

And I don't feel like debating the idiocy of the QBwinz theory.

Kaep can run an NFL offense people.

It is true what you say - I don't think Moore makes it through the season without getting banged up and missing some time. He's just prone to taking some big hits every now and then like in the Steelers game. That doesn't mean we need to sign a guy whose media attention is going to create a QB controversy from the moment they get here, which is especially silly considering Moore is the first Dolphin QB to win a playoff clinching game since Chad Pennington despite ample opportunity for guys like Henne and Tannehill to step up in December.

Teams haven't signed Kaepernick because his play on the field isn't good but his ability to disrupt and organization, whether you think its fair or not, is high. Teams don't sign backup QBs with a lot of baggage, they sign a guy who isn't gonna cause an issue, is gonna help the starter and the staff prepare for games, and can hopefully play in a pinch. If you have nobody and nothing else to lose, signing a guy like Kaep to come in and start might make sense. But we don't have nobody, we have a veteran QB who who has a better record as starter than a lot of QB's around the league who has played well given his chances and seems to be well liked by his teammates and brings a scrappy energy to his team. It's not ideal for him to start for an entire season, but in the absence of another legitimate starter you need to bring in a guy who can be Moore's backup and hopefully contribute when needed, not a guy who will turn the season into a crapstorm.

I disagree re Moore. If we had an HOF OL then maybe he'd survive but we'd still be suffering in terms of a non-athletic QB who is NOT a dominant pocket performer. Moore is a career backup -- and a guy that can come in for a few games if necessary -- but he's NOT a solution only a stop gap. If we sign Kap we
could still look at Moore for production while Kap ramps up in the system. After that -- the chips will fall will they will. No matter what, we're not looking at an ideal situation -- so we need to be realistic in terms of who is available and who can actually give us some production.

I say Kap is the best option on the street right now, and therefore bring him in to compete! No one is going to hand him over a job.

Back
Top Bottom