If Tannehill Is Taken Before We Draft | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Tannehill Is Taken Before We Draft

If Tannehill Is Taken Before We Draft:

• Total voters
I say, take Ingram at #8 and if the QB we want is still there late 1st round. trade in and make the pick. Consensus is that Tannehill is not a #8 and if the other 2 QB's came out he would be a 2nd or 3rd rounder, you just can't overpay for a project like that... someone who will NOT start right away. That pick is too valuable. I could live with a trade down scenario but we need playmaker's and Wake needs help to pressure, and this will help our crybaby corners in the secondary.

It won't happen because Tannehill is a reach even at 8. Weeden and Cousins are better.

Teddy, long time ago I was part of a business that made decisions by developing statistical probability models. To an extent, what I do now reflects probabilities of past comparable reactions. Of course, derived probability is only as valid as the input used and reliable as whoever is tasked with the interpretation and analysis.

Given that, let's say hypothetically that our brainiacs have developed a pretty good back tested probability model and determine that there's a 75% statistical likelihood that Tannehill and/or Weeden will develop into top 12 tier QBs between now and 12 -24 months hence. (I know, it's Ireland and the boys, but let's just roll with the scenario please.)

Having confidence in a time tested analysis, even if it's a reach on either of these guys, Tannehill because of rawness and Weeden due to age and spread formation, wouldn't it make sense to nevertheless grab either of them as soon as possible if you in fact are that confident, rather than conceding to league consensus and sentiment, thereby running the risk of being "penny wise and pound foolish" if some other team snaps the guy up after conducting a similar probability study?

Personally, I don't care that we reach, mostly due to his age, for Weeden at 8, if we have a high determination that he will still give us a distinguished 7-8 year run; that's certainly better than anything since Marino, and plenty of time to groom his successor. Ditto if it takes Tannehill a year to sit behind Moore/Garrard if that same probability asserts he will be a stud 12-24months out. :idk:

Your thoughts?

Let me put it this way, if Miami's front office has full confidence in any quarterback becoming the caliber of player that you speak of here, they should always take him no matter where it's at. If they can come to that conclusion about Tannehill with Mike Sherman's input, then they have to draft him... simple as that.

However, the issue I have is that I don't think there's any way they could sell me that they're completely confident on Ryan Tannehill as being that type of quarterback. If they weren't sold on Ryan Mallett as one of the best players in the 3rd round, or weren't confident that Matt Ryan was that type of quarterback coming out of BC.... how are they going to sell me that they've established that type of confidence in a kid with a year and a half's worth of starting experience under his belt, that still doesn't understand situational football, and isn't comfortable yet with the game resting on his shoulders?

I have a hard time believing that they could convince me that they view Tannehill that way, and aren't just tricking themselves into reaching because they've exhausted every other avenue.

They apparently didn't think Matt Flynn was an upgrade over Matt Moore enough to have that type of confidence in him... so what the hell were they doing pursuing him anyway? In other words, they've already proven that they'll pursue QB's they aren't sold on.

Speaking of statistical probabilities, the statistical probabilities are that 98% of the QB's in this draft never become the type of QB Matt Moore is. It's not easy. I find it hard to believe that someone could be that convinced Ryan Tannehill is in that 2%.

Weeden is a better quarterback than Ryan Tannehill right now. There's no way I can take Weeden at #8, which automatically means I can't take Tannehill there.

Of all the quarterbacks that Miami has passed up in the 1st round over the past 25 or so years, I find it extremely hard to swallow that they're suddenly ready to go all in with a prospect like Ryan Tannehill with a top 10 pick.... although it would be fitting for this organization to do just that.

Why? Because Mike Sherman coached him? Nick Saban was burned at the stake for going after SEC players that he was familiar with.

The difference being that SEC players typically made pretty damn good pros. We're still waiting for the Big-12 quarterback that came in and achieved something other than getting coaches fired.

Would you take Dalton with the 8th pick or trade 8th pick to conci for Dalton. Cinci wound never do it. He is too valuable. Dalton was a second round pick. Dalton wa the 4th QB in last years class.

I would draft Tannehill at number 8 or trade down worst case and see if he is still there. I doubt Tannehill gets drafted past number 16 pick or the second cleveland pick.

I have to agree with this. I dont see Weeden going in the first. Cleveland could grab him at the top of the 2nd if the dont take Tannehill, but I dont see anyone else that might take Weeden before our 2nd round pick.

I could see many teams going for Weeden in round 2 ahead of us. Buffalo might be the most likely. Fitzpatrick doesn't have much guaranteed money in his contract if I recall correctly. St Louis has two picks ahead of the Phins and could take a QB to be Bradford's backup. Tampa and Carolina...who are their backups? And of course, there's Cleveland.

I really think Weeden will be gone before the Phins 2nd round pick. Heck, I could even see Pittsburgh, Green Bay or Baltimore taking him in the 1st round. Those teams know how to assess talent and don't have solid backup QB's.

Switch picks in the second with the Rams. Our 2.10 for their 2.1. That equals a 100 point difference (580 vs 480).
That gives us the first pick on day two- a great position to be in after day one of the draft.
This is all assuming Weeden is available after the first round and Tannehill has been removed from the pool. Then i say we throw them our second pick in the third (220 pts.)
We would be losing close to 120 pts in this scenario but some other compensation could be arranged to get some value back to us.

I am all in for Tannehill at 8 though to be completely honest. If he's there i say we take him and then get a WR in Rd 2. It's a deep WR class.

The draft experts also rated Brady Quinn, Jamarcus Russell, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Brian Brohm, Colt Brennan, Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy, and every other Tom, Dick, and Harry out there as franchise quarterbacks.

Ryan Tannehill was always 1st round physical talent based on upside alone. This isn't news. We discussed it in the draft forum almost a year ago now when looking ahead to the 2012 class. What people always lose sight of is that he was a potential LATE 1st round quarterback prospect based on upside, but in reality an early 2nd round prospect.

He's getting pushed into the top 10 because he's viewed as the #3 quarterback in this class. Using that logic, the #6 QB in this class should be a top 20 pick.

Ryan Tannehill isn't a franchise quarterback right now... he's a project. Hell, he was a project in college for Mike Sherman.

Tannehill's upside is legitimate, but it's a tremendous gamble taking him in the top 10. There's nothing wrong with taking that gamble as long as you're not passing up an elite talent at another position in the process. But that's exactly what Miami is going to do if they take Tannehill at #8.

yeah...now that i'm done looking at tannehill i totally agree with that assessment...there's no qb in this draft worth the #8 pick for us...we should go bpa other position

Would you take Dalton with the 8th pick or trade 8th pick to conci for Dalton. Cinci wound never do it. He is too valuable. Dalton was a second round pick. Dalton wa the 4th QB in last years class.

I would draft Tannehill at number 8 or trade down worst case and see if he is still there. I doubt Tannehill gets drafted past number 16 pick or the second cleveland pick.

ha ha...i wouldn't take dalton for the #42 pick...the last thing i need is another caretaking average qb...the leagues full of em

that kids no franchise qb...

ha ha...i wouldn't take dalton for the #42 pick...the last thing i need is another caretaking average qb...the leagues full of em

that kids no franchise qb...

I was never a Dalton fan but year one he played damn good and should get better. He seems more than a caretaker

Seriously, Tannehill is so lucky than neither Barkley nor Landry Jones came out, this guy would be a 3rd or 4th round prospect.

If we do end up with Tannehill and we end up being the worst team in the league, then what? We draft Barkley and we pray that someone gives a 4th round pick for Tannehill after investing a 1st?

And don't say we wouldn't draft Barkley, we definitely would. Hell Bud Adams is willing to sign Manning on a 5 year deal after just drafting Jake Locker.
now that luck and griffin is property of indy and the skins,theres no qb left worth drafting ,if youre looking for a franchise guy .by the way,theres a reason barkley and jones went back to collage,their both super overrated.

now that luck and griffin is property of indy and the skins,theres no qb left worth drafting ,if youre looking for a franchise guy .by the way,theres a reason barkley and jones went back to collage,their both super overrated.

I guess thats why Luck decided to go back to school last year lol. They went back for whatever reason and both are better prospects than anyone on this roster

landry jones blows...tyler wilson why couldn't you have come out dammit...i would feel much better about that...

and you andy dalton fools will see soon enough...

Maybe we can convince Barkley to enter the supplemental draft or something, ****.

Maybe we can convince Barkley to enter the supplemental draft or something, ****.

cleveland would beat us too it...they're not that dumb...

i was in the dumps for a month it seemed when barkley decided to stay in school...

Back
Top Bottom