IF we miss the playoffs this season, would you consider this season a failure? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

IF we miss the playoffs this season, would you consider this season a failure?

Is this season a bust if we miss the playoffs.

• Total voters
One pick I like is Don Jones in the 7th. If you can use a 7th round pick and get that much ST impact I think you've done well. I think those instincts and tackling ability will eventually start making an impact on defense in years to come. Good tackling is both instinct and athletic ability, and it definitely transfers from ST to defense.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

I've said it for weeks that the loss to Buffalo at home will (if we don't win out) be what wrecked our season. It was just so unnecessary. That was our game.

What about Jimmy Wilson and Rishard Matthews? Both 7th round picks and both contributing this season. Also Charles Clay was a 6th rounder.

So after 5 years at the GM spot, you'd say Ireland is "pretty decent" if he manages to improve us from a 7-9 team to an 8-8 team? I'll bet beige is your favorite color.

Ireland wasnt in full control those full 5 years. Parcells when President was calling the shots. Lets be fair here. in 3 years or w.e it has been.. Ireland has done a solid JOb.. Just look at his draft classes. He has a bunch of starters that were his own picks playing. Including a few guys picked in the 7th round who are contributing .[/QUOTE]

I hear what you're saying, but let's also blame the coaching, and players themselves. Ireland finds talent, and coaches develop them and give them an opportunity to succeed. Then the end result is completely predicated in whether that players executes and makes plays on the field. Blame all around.

Playoffs are enough for you guys? This team is just another average team that if it gets in, will only be because it was the "best of the worst"...and should be out after a single game...this season is already a bust, and making the playoffs isn't changing that!

Hmmmm....I wonder how many were proclaiming the Ravens one and done last year? Or the Steelers and Giants as #6 seeds in recent years. Get in and let the chips fall where they may. If we do make the playoffs, I'd consider it a successful season considering all the stuff this team has been through with Bullygate. Get in and I think we have a decent chance to make it out of the wild card round.

Remember, we beat the Colts in their home and they're not exactly playing high caliber football right now. They're very lucky to be playing in a weak division. We've also shut down that high powered Bengals offense and beat them. Yes, it was at home, but they were the hottest team at the moment winning 6 of 7 including 4 in a row. Hell, they even beat the mighty Patriots in that same streak. We beat them this week and I'm feeling a lot better about our chances.

This season is not a failure if we don't make the playoffs. If we do we'll get our asses handed to us at some point because of the road factor. I've seen enough of Ireland and his GM ability...he needs to go. I just don't believe we go much farther with the guy than 9-7 or 10-6. Only problem is I don't think this team can stand another rebuilding either.

"What about Jimmy Wilson and Rishard Matthews? Both 7th round picks and both contributing this season. Also Charles Clay was a 6th rounder."

Good point. I like Matthews a lot but Wison still has a ways to go, IMO. It's about how you use him, I suppose. He can't really cover but he can do some other things relatively well.
Clay was certainly a good find though.
Problem is that all our 2nd round picks blow and our 3rds have been pretty 'meh' too. When you miss on that many O-linemen it hurts you pretty bad. Even worse is when you're too stubborn to admit your mistake in time to avoid losing winnable games. We saw that our line sucked and Martin sucked in the preseason. We could've had McKinnie right there and then and started the year with him. Instead, we let Martin go out there and stink it up and almost get our QB killed, demoralize the team and fanbase, and failed to avoid the whole Martin/Incognito thing. If Martin had not started all year, then that whole situation either doesn't happen, or happens before the season even starts and could've been mitigated much easier.
Ireland was just too proud to admit Martin was a bad pick and pounded a square peg into a round hole.
Not only does Ireland hurt us with his decisions, but his mere presence is a repellent to recruiting good FAs.

Too early to tell, depends on how it all plays out. I feel if we finish 10-6 we can get in. Let the chips fall as they may be....

Daniel_Thomas.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This season is not a failure if we don't make the playoffs. If we do we'll get our asses handed to us at some point because of the road factor. I've seen enough of Ireland and his GM ability...he needs to go. I just don't believe we go much farther with the guy than 9-7 or 10-6. Only problem is I don't think this team can stand another rebuilding either.

Not entirely true. We have only gotten our asses handed to us 1 time this season. And that was against the Saints. We have been in every single game and have had the oppurtunity to win each and every one of them. Truthfully, we should be a lot better then 7-6 right now and i can see why people can see that as a failure. I somewhat see it as a failure as well if we miss the playoffs. But at the same time... Looking at the bigger picture.. we have taken some big steps this season.

So the way i see it... Miss the playoffs.. Get a better draft pick and whoop ass next year. I dont think we are a SB winning team yet, but you never know with the playoffs. Once you get there its anybodies game.

Gotta be in it to win it.

Playoffs are enough for you guys? This team is just another average team that if it gets in, will only be because it was the "best of the worst"...and should be out after a single game...this season is already a bust, and making the playoffs isn't changing that!

Dude, I feel sorry for you. Just be excited that we have a chance for the first time in 5 years.

Goal for every team should be win the Super Bowl. So not even getting in the playoffs makes the season a failure IMO. With that said if we don't make it doesn't mean we can't take any positives from the season. A lot of ups and downs but I've enjoyed every bit of it.

Beat up Brady this Sunday. Go Phinz!

If we miss the playoffs, I can be content in the off season looking forward to our progress in areas despite the incident concerning the fat girl in our cafeteria. But I am never happy if we miss the playoffs.

We need great players. I don't see the great players. The only young guy who has emerged into something special is Charles Clay. Now that's a unique talent, if you use him correctly. You can hear the analysts quietly mumble in amazement at some of his plays during the replay shows on Sunday night.

It doesn't mean a thing when Nolan Carroll is playing better, or Jimmy Wilson is playing better. Literally nothing. I can't believe all the wasted energy and praise based on short term improvement. Start next season with guys of that caliber and we're in the middle of the pack with nowhere to go.

Jeff Ireland has flooded the roster with guys of that level. That's why we're stuck. That YPPA Differential category doesn't lie. Some guys here recently have insisted that YPA is a team category, not solely related to Tannehill. I always have to chuckle at that. Be careful what you happily adjust for. If we accept that it's a team category, we are at -.2 net differential. In other words, a slightly below average team.

I had hoped for at least 2 great players to emerge from the recent draft or free agency. But the only other guy who flashed true greatness this season was Patterson, IMO. I attended the Bengals game and that was as high a level of cornerback play I've witnessed in person in years and years. Patterson was far above Grimes, IMO. Grimes inherited a few plays, like when Dalton threw behind the receiver on the 4th down play in that Bengals game, or when Rivers lofted a sloppy first down play in the first quarter that Grimes accepted. I would expect Grimes to regress next season if we resign him. Not to the level of Reshad Jones, who simply wasn't special to begin with. But Grimes as a little guy has quite a few limitations. It's almost certain he won't retain this level next year. I have a big advantage in situations like that because I can evaluate what the favorite is going forward, and not merely what happened this season multiplied by 1.25. That's the tendency around here, multiply by 1.25 or 1.40. No problem.

Jordan has ability but not necessarily an ideal position. If he were with another team we wouldn't be scared of him, as a 3rd pick who rarely plays. Davis is painfully skinny and looks vulnerable. Taylor is a question mark with the physical problems but I retain hopes for him. Dallas Thomas is the mandatory overmatched early pick, and naturally we loaded up on guys with limited upside like Gillislee.

That draft and free agency should have been an opportunity to add 2-3 legitimately special players. We'll see how it pans out. Keller and Gibson were more athletic and arrogant than my estimation beforehand. We desperately need that athletic arrogance, the type of thing that allowed Clay to maintain his footing last week for the go ahead touchdown. Wallace is more of a klutz than I realized. Ireland does benefit in that Hartline has really come around. I'm more and more impressed with him and think we should target him even more frequently.

Of course, once nobody was unbeaten and we managed 6.5 wins, the season became a success. :chuckle:

We need great players. I don't see the great players. The only young guy who has emerged into something special is Charles Clay. Now that's a unique talent, if you use him correctly. You can hear the analysts quietly mumble in amazement at some of his plays during the replay shows on Sunday night.

It doesn't mean a thing when Nolan Carroll is playing better, or Jimmy Wilson is playing better. Literally nothing. I can't believe all the wasted energy and praise based on short term improvement. Start next season with guys of that caliber and we're in the middle of the pack with nowhere to go.

Jeff Ireland has flooded the roster with guys of that level. That's why we're stuck. That YPPA Differential category doesn't lie. Some guys here recently have insisted that YPA is a team category, not solely related to Tannehill. I always have to chuckle at that. Be careful what you happily adjust for. If we accept that it's a team category, we are at -.2 net differential. In other words, a slightly below average team.

I had hoped for at least 2 great players to emerge from the recent draft or free agency. But the only other guy who flashed true greatness this season was Patterson, IMO. I attended the Bengals game and that was as high a level of cornerback play I've witnessed in person in years and years. Patterson was far above Grimes, IMO. Grimes inherited a few plays, like when Dalton threw behind the receiver on the 4th down play in that Bengals game, or when Rivers lofted a sloppy first down play in the first quarter that Grimes accepted. I would expect Grimes to regress next season if we resign him. Not to the level of Reshad Jones, who simply wasn't special to begin with. But Grimes as a little guy has quite a few limitations. It's almost certain he won't retain this level next year. I have a big advantage in situations like that because I can evaluate what the favorite is going forward, and not merely what happened this season multiplied by 1.25. That's the tendency around here, multiply by 1.25 or 1.40. No problem.

Jordan has ability but not necessarily an ideal position. If he were with another team we wouldn't be scared of him, as a 3rd pick who rarely plays. Davis is painfully skinny and looks vulnerable. Taylor is a question mark with the physical problems but I retain hopes for him. Dallas Thomas is the mandatory overmatched early pick, and naturally we loaded up on guys with limited upside like Gillislee.

That draft and free agency should have been an opportunity to add 2-3 legitimately special players. We'll see how it pans out. Keller and Gibson were more athletic and arrogant than my estimation beforehand. We desperately need that athletic arrogance, the type of thing that allowed Clay to maintain his footing last week for the go ahead touchdown. Wallace is more of a klutz than I realized. Ireland does benefit in that Hartline has really come around. I'm more and more impressed with him and think we should target him even more frequently.

Of course, once nobody was unbeaten and we managed 6.5 wins, the season became a success. :chuckle:

Grimes hardly gets thrown at, thats a reason for why Patterson looked better in that game.

Carroll has taken some big leaps this year and has played significantly better then the past 2 years. Jordan has the potential to be a stud, but he is a bit raw and is being brought along slowly.. But whenever he is in the game... He makes an impact. He also probably gets limited snaps because of the shoulder injury. THey probably dont want to over use him and risk another injury in his rookie year. Will definitely play much more next year.

Our 2 corners hopefully make an impact next season as well as Egnew or Sims.

Yea we dont really have a star talent, but we have a lot of B - B+ players. A very young team and a Young QB that is improving game after game. WE have a lot to be exited about. I fee like we are a Star WR/TE/ or HB away from being a really damn good offense. Preferably a HB who can be a weapon on the ground and in the air too.

Hopefully we add some contributers to the team i the draft and in FA and can build upon a solid season. Just hope we make the playoffs first as well. But if we miss it, i wont call this season a complete failure.

Just because we don't cover the spread for your fancy or bolster your "fantasy" numbers doesn't mean we don't have, or for that matter do we we even need, "great" players. Super Bowl Champions do not play as individuals they play as a team, a family. Almost without question in champion post season play, it is not a star player that steps up to the plate and makes the the difference but someone that throughout the season was lost among the spotlight. It's a team game. And as of right now we are playing some damn good team football under coach Philbin. And if Joe has done what he seems to have, in terms of re-aligning the team's chemistry and continuity in the right direction during a period turmoil (ei: us against the world), we will be a force regardless of anyone's incessant number crunching.

Back
Top Bottom