Ireland quote.. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ireland quote..

Olinemen can be found in later rounds. Skill players must be taken early. I dunno, it's all a gamble. Thomas not worth a 2, Egnew not worth a 3, Bess worked out great. Educated gambling.

JI has to hit homeruns for his job and the fans sake.

If I was an NFL GM, I'd never care what fans thought. The vast majority of fans are incomprehensibly stupid.

What does that make the GM of a team with four straight losing seasons that still hasn't shored up an oline he has put every conceivable resource into?

The issue I have with this whole discussion is the following: Ireland has been here for five years as our GM, a period of time that most objective observers would say is adequate for any good general manager to rebuild a roster and make it competitive with the best in the league. Now we are here in his sixth draft and sixth period of free agency and we still have nine or ten starting positions on the team that require upgrade before we can be considered to be realistically competitive for a trip to the Super Bowl. Think about that deeply for a moment. He has had five years to turn this ship around and almost half the starting lineup still requires upgrades to be competitive with the best of the league. In my opinion, if that doesn't tell you everything you need to know about Ireland's stewardship of our beloved Dolphins then nothing will.

So, does anyone have any plan that is more realistic than the odds of hitting the Powerball for how Ireland can update all nine to ten starting positions that need upgrades in one draft and free agent season? I want us to be Super Bowl competitive in 2013, not 2023.

Last edited by a moderator:
The above post has been posted so many times by many of the same "fans" the past couple of months. I am more concerned about what the team is going to do next month in free agency and in April in the draft. I am not ignoring the past I just think the one liners about how much some "fans" think they suck or that they need to "try learning how to run an NFL team" have been beaten into our heads quite a bit, wouldn't you agree? I am excited about the upcoming offseason, the national perspective is positive for the Dolphins upcoming offseason, there is no need to keep crying because Ireland was retained. This is a make or break year for him, if they succeed he is gets a contract extension. If he fails he won't be re-signed, it is just that simple.

Go Dolphins!

Not really because Ross could easily retain him just as he did before. Its not like contract are honored

I'm more nervous about this offseason. I've seen no evidence that he's learned from his past mistakes, so I can't really be optimistic that he has. I hope he proves me wrong, but expecting him to based on absolutely nothing would be setting myself up for disappointment.

Well then you're not a fan, you're a "fan". Real fans go on blind faith and everything is pixies and fairy dust for us.

Ireland alone has never had this much cap space to work with and the team really hasn't been active in free agency the past couple of years because they were close to the cap. Signing stop gap free agents to one year deals doesn't count as being active in free agency. The Dolphins signed one free agent last year to a multi year deal and he ended up in the starting lineup in week one. I am not going to compare past free agents signings like Hicks and Guyton to what is likely going to happen this offseason. Ireland's draft last year looks very good on paper at this point and the early returns were successful(of course some fans will immediately point to Egnew while ignoring the rest of the draft).

This is going to be a very exciting offseason for the Dolphins, I can't wait. Go Dolphins!

You should have a look to see how many "stop gap" free agents the two superbowl teams had on their roster, I believe it was close to 30. This idea you have that 1 year "stop gap" contracts shouldn't count towards a GM's record is ludicrous.

No problem with what he says at all. If its my a$$ on the line I'm going to do what I feel is best for the team. I'm sure most if not all of you would do the same thing if it was your a$$.

Last edited by a moderator:
He didn't have cap space because of his own FA blunders. He only has it now because those contracts have expired and he's letting his own draft picks walk yet again. Think about that for a minute. The guy has yet to re-sign a single draft pick that he has made since being here.

Hmm well this is the first class that needs to be resigned, and tbh nobody's been worth resigning.

Hmm well this is the first class that needs to be resigned, and tbh nobody's been worth resigning.

Which is another problem. If Long, Hartline, and Clemmons walk, 2008 and 2009 are all off the team.

Which is another problem. If Long, Hartline, and Clemmons walk, 2008 and 2009 are all off the team.

I wouldn't expect all of them to walk. Clemons will likely be back and Hartline is probably more than 50% likely to be back.

Fun fact: The Patriots had 28 draft picks between 2007 and 2009 and only one was re-signed.

I wouldn't expect all of them to walk. Clemons will likely be back and Hartline is probably more than 50% likely to be back.

Fun fact: The Patriots had 28 draft picks between 2007 and 2009 and only one was re-signed.

Another Fun fact: Patriots havent won a Superbowl since they beat the Eagles.

When Donovan McNabb was quarterback. Before they got caught spying on other teams. Before Matt Cassel was drafted. The last time they won the Superbowl, Miami had Dave Wannstedt as a coach.

Even through all of that, the Patriots have still had more success than Miami. Im not sure if your advocating us failing like them or using their failures as a measuring stone, but i would perfer us doing better than the Patriots. After all, two wrongs dont make a right.

---------- Post added at 02:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 AM ----------

Thus is the problem.

We need to draft better.

Well, when we start winning the AFC every year instead of having four straight losing seasons we can start doing things like the Patriots.

Clemmons will be back but he really shouldn't. We could easily upgrade there.

shone green from jets anyone?

:hclap:I think he has a lot of gas in the tank left and he would provide veteran leadership to lammar miller and daniel thomas and he would b able to stickit to the jets twice a year.I

Back
Top Bottom