Ireland quote.. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ireland quote..

Which is another problem. If Long, Hartline, and Clemmons walk, 2008 and 2009 are all off the team.

Finally, someone who perceives the real long term problem with the Dolphins. When Wannstedt was here he destroyed the Dolphins by putting together years of drafts where four years later one or fewer of the picks were still with the team. All of the general managers under Saban and Cameron continued this history of draft futility which has destroyed the squad for close to a decade. It appears Ireland is now repeating the history of the Wannstedt years with only three of his players from his first two drafts even being worthy of consideration for extension and a likelihood that we will keep only one of the three.

Good general managers are typically able to pick one star, two additional solid starters and a couple of good backups/special team players each and every draft. These players spend multiple contracts with their team and serve as the solid core for the franchise's long term success. With this core in place these teams are able to use free agency to concentrate on only a handful of position that will put them over the top.

With the sustained history of all of the Dolphins GMs from Wannstedt to Ireland failing to draft players that can stick with the team as starters over the course of a career, we are constantly forced to use both the draft and free agency to fill holes that we thought we had filled two, three or four years ago. It is a never ending cycle of failure and mediocrity and will only be fixed when we hire a front office who can draft 3 starters and 2 solid backups every year over a sustained period of five or more years.

Until this problem is fixed the Dolphins franchise will be without hope of being anything more than a study in mediocrity.

Essentially, he's saying if I'm going to be fired I rather it be done following my own convictions as oppose to someone else's. I personally have no problem with that as long as he's willing to listen to others and take their suggestions, assuming they are valid into consideration also.

Sounds like Ireland is taking a page out of Frank Sinatra's book... he'll do it his way.

If I was an NFL GM, I'd never care what fans thought. The vast majority of fans are incomprehensibly stupid.

But, enough about jest, stealers, donkeys, raiduhs, & bears fans.

Look I agree we need plenty of returning players. I blame part of this on the coaching staff. It has now been proven that Sparano could not coach well and certainly could not coach offensive line players which he was always dabbling with in the draft. Then Philbin came in he wanted his own players To fit his new schemes for the offense and defense around making it pretty obvious that we will lose a lot of players Just because Philbin wants to do build his team a different way. Face it last year our biggest problems were at connerback and wide receiver both position had quality players under contract at beginning of the season which shows you obviously what has happened and why they were traded!

Look I agree we need plenty of returning players. I blame part of this on the coaching staff. It has now been proven that Sparano could not coach well and certainly could not coach offensive line players which he was always dabbling with in the draft. Then Philbin came in he wanted his own players To fit his new schemes for the offense and defense around making it pretty obvious that we will lose a lot of players Just because Philbin wants to do build his team a different way. Face it last year our biggest problems were at connerback and wide receiver both position had quality players under contract at beginning of the season which shows you obviously what has happened and why they were traded!

I most certainly agree that coaching has its part in this as well. That's why I said we must hire a front office, not just a general manager. You must develop the players you draft and Sporano appears to have been almost hopeless in that regard. It is my hope that Philbin is much better in this regard. But it doesn't help the coaches when they are dealing with high level picks like Michael Egnew, Edmond Gates, Pat White, Philip Merling, Chad Henne, Ted Ginn Jr., John Beck, Lorenzo Booker, Jason Allen, Derek Hagan, Matt Roth, Wil Poole, Eddie Moore, Taylor Whitley, Jamar Fletcher, and so on. Until we can find a GM who can put together a string of four or five good drafts of picks who can be coached into solid long-term contributors, we are condemned to continued mediocrity.

You should have a look to see how many "stop gap" free agents the two superbowl teams had on their roster, I believe it was close to 30. This idea you have that 1 year "stop gap" contracts shouldn't count towards a GM's record is ludicrous.

Especially when a total of one of them is actually still on the team by the end of the season and he's in danger of being cut because he's overpaid.

Finally, someone who perceives the real long term problem with the Dolphins. When Wannstedt was here he destroyed the Dolphins by putting together years of drafts where four years later one or fewer of the picks were still with the team. All of the general managers under Saban and Cameron continued this history of draft futility which has destroyed the squad for close to a decade. It appears Ireland is now repeating the history of the Wannstedt years with only three of his players from his first two drafts even being worthy of consideration for extension and a likelihood that we will keep only one of the three.

Good general managers are typically able to pick one star, two additional solid starters and a couple of good backups/special team players each and every draft. These players spend multiple contracts with their team and serve as the solid core for the franchise's long term success. With this core in place these teams are able to use free agency to concentrate on only a handful of position that will put them over the top.

With the sustained history of all of the Dolphins GMs from Wannstedt to Ireland failing to draft players that can stick with the team as starters over the course of a career, we are constantly forced to use both the draft and free agency to fill holes that we thought we had filled two, three or four years ago. It is a never ending cycle of failure and mediocrity and will only be fixed when we hire a front office who can draft 3 starters and 2 solid backups every year over a sustained period of five or more years.

Until this problem is fixed the Dolphins franchise will be without hope of being anything more than a study in mediocrity.

That's all Parcells' fault. Ireland definitely brought in Bess, Wake, and Starks, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's all Parcells' fault. Ireland definitely brought in Bess, Wake, and Starks, though.

And we know these were his decisions how? You cannot give him credit for this and no blame for the rest lol

He didn't have cap space because of his own FA blunders. He only has it now because those contracts have expired and he's letting his own draft picks walk yet again. Think about that for a minute. The guy has yet to re-sign a single draft pick that he has made since being here.
Hit the nail on the head - he doesn't think HIS own draft choices are worth resigning. He traded one of his recent No 1s (Vontae). He traded a guy 2 years after going out and getting him for two no 2's. He's been a failure. Period. And I am high on RT but really that was a no-brainer pick last year. He had to make that pick. But then he showed off his stupidity by waiting until the 7th round to take an WRs? I'm with you - not re-signing guys you hand-picked - many in the primer of their careers age-wise (in fact most of them) is admitting you failed. I don't see how we get better by letting all these guys walk. Ireland has yet to show he can find a playmaker if one landed on his head. He probably has Leon Sandcastle on his draft board.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

PS - he should have been fired for the whole "is your mom a prostitude" thing IMO. Who gets to talk like that at work when interviewing someone?

Whats better? An average line with above average skill position players or an above average line with average skill position players?
This is where I think conventional thinking has been hurting us....

Let me frame the question another way whats more dangerous?

1) You have the best o-line in football throwing to Brain Hartline?
2) You have an average o-line throwing to Desean Jackson?

Well Desan Jackson would have a concussion after 4 or 5 games than you'd have an average line throwing to WR's who are essentially Brian hartline or worse.

Well, when we start winning the AFC every year instead of having four straight losing seasons we can start doing things like the Patriots.

Using the Patriots as any type of a comparison is dumb. They have the best QB in the NFL in a QB driven league. They've reached the playoffs, and even Super Bowls with WR's and special teamers playing in their secondary. When you have the best QB in the game and mismatch creators on offense you can F up drafts and still be successful. I guess one could argue how many SB's NE would have won if they actually knew how to draft?

Back
Top Bottom