Is the oline done? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is the oline done?

Here's the question you have to ask yourself....

In case of major injury, are we Ok with one or two of these guys having to start all season? If the answer isn't a solid YES we're good.. Then we should continue to draft. Not 1 or 2 but surely 3-7th.
Brendel
Davis
Asiata
Young
Larsen

All of those guys are older. We draft OL every year, like every other NFL team. All this does is probably remove the 1st and 2nd round OL prospects. Though, I certainly wouldn't be shocked if we grabbed a highly rated OL.
Literally, hasn't been a draft in our history where we didn't take an OL player. Trend won't change this year.

Here's the question you have to ask yourself....

In case of major injury, are we Ok with one or two of these guys having to start all season? If the answer isn't a solid YES we're good.. Then we should continue to draft. Not 1 or 2 but surely 3-7th.
Brendel
Davis
Asiata
Young
Larsen

Agree in general, but VERY few teams can answer 'yes'

Probably won't happen, but do you pass up Quentin Nelson if he falls to #11?
Oh how times change. Only a month or so ago there would have been cries of agony if someone even suggested a guard at 11. But, as the pundits come around to what the analysts already knew--that he is one heck of a football player who can change games--we now see appreciation for him.

Personally, I'd be very happy to get Nelson at 11, but it really depends upon who else is available too. I'd trade back if I got a good deal. If we have no DT, it would be hard to pass on Vita Vea, who is a heck of a player. Our need changed with the addition of Sitton, although Nelson would both complement him and be a long term replacement, so there's no real redundancy of function there. If it's a QB, RB, WR, TE, CB, LB or Nelson ... I'd probably pick Nelson to be honest. But, if it comes down between an elite DL, like Chubb, I might take the DL and look at Billy Price if he's there in round 2.

Every coach will tell you that a good running game is a QB's best friend. In fact, when teams have rookie QB's, good coaches always rebuild their run games and lean on it while the QB learns. Good QB's always perform better when there is a solid running game. By adding a guy like Nelson, you solidify the interior against A gap blitzes, dominating power DT's, and allow the QB to stand and scan. You also build a dominating run blocking team that gives the QB better down and distance when he needs to pass, better coverages against which to pass, and less 3rd downs on which he needs to pass. It also pulls safeties closer to the line of scrimmage, opening up deeper routes for bigger chunk plays in the passing game.

So yeah, I'd love to select Nelson. Kid reminds me of a young Logan Mankins with the physicality of Richie Incognito (but not the baggage), and that's a dang good thing at guard.

We're in the process of tying down Sam Young. The Phins like this guy as a swing tackle. We really are done at that point imo. Great job on paper by the FO. Of course, if a great lineman falls our way in the 3 or 4th round if he's the BPA on your board pick him. Sitton will be a great signing imo. We'll be running left behind Sitton and Tunsil.

We're in the process of tying down Sam Young. The Phins like this guy as a swing tackle. We really are done at that point imo. Great job on paper by the FO. Of course, if a great lineman falls our way in the 3 or 4th round if he's the BPA on your board pick him. Sitton will be a great signing imo. We'll be running left behind Sitton and Tunsil.
This is great news. Young is a very good back up. Great depth at multiple positions.

Back
Top Bottom