Is Zo a hall-of-famer?

• Yes, First ballot

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • Yes, eventually

Votes: 41 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 47.5%

• Total voters
Wow, someone dug this one out of the mothballs. I'll give my $0.02 anyway, though, because I love these debates.

If I had a vote, I'd vote for Mourning. (The first ballot distinction is utterly meaningless; a guy is an HOF'er or he's not. He's not going to get better in retirement.)

You've got to judge how much he benefitted from playing in an era where there were very few good centers. Olajuwon and Ewing were fading when he was hitting his stride, which meant that his only real contemporaries were O'Neal and Mutombo.

But, if we're going to account for the era in which he played, let's not forget that he played most of his prime on a slow-paced, thug-ball team (the 96-00 Heat), which probably depressed his raw offensive stats.

Fortunately, PER, Player Efficiency Rating, takes that into account. And it shows us that Mourning was awesome from 96-00. By way of comparison, that five season stretch was just a shade below Moses Malone's BEST five season stretch (79-83). And no one in their right mind would call Malone anything less than totally dominant in his prime. To say that, at his best, Mourning was "good but not great" completely misses the mark.

If you look at Mourning's PER stats from 1993-2000, they're pretty damned impressive. In fact, they compare favorably with Bill Walton's. Walton is probably a fair comparison to Mourning in terms of his career: Walton's career was cut short by bad wheels, Mourning's by a bad kidney. But Walton only had two seasons where he played more than half the season and posted above a 20.0 PER. Mourning had eight. To me, that's a dominant performance. And of course, he won a ring last year, and contributed mightily to that championship (just as Walton did with the 86 Celtics).

The fact that Mourning was a jerk throughout most of his career doesn't matter. The HOF is littered with unsavory personalities and is no worse for it. And while Mourning was a jerk, he also never beat up his wife or had a drug problem (widespread drug problems nearly sunk the NBA in the pre-Bird/Magic Era). What counts is what he did on the court. And what he did on the court, even missing about 3 1/2 seasons to his kidney problem, is more than enough. I believe he should get in, and ultimately, he will.

Wow, someone dug this one out of the mothballs. I'll give my $0.02 anyway, though, because I love these debates.

If I had a vote, I'd vote for Mourning. (The first ballot distinction is utterly meaningless; a guy is an HOF'er or he's not. He's not going to get better in retirement.)

You've got to judge how much he benefitted from playing in an era where there were very few good centers. Olajuwon and Ewing were fading when he was hitting his stride, which meant that his only real contemporaries were O'Neal and Mutombo.

But, if we're going to account for the era in which he played, let's not forget that he played most of his prime on a slow-paced, thug-ball team (the 96-00 Heat), which probably depressed his raw offensive stats.

Fortunately, PER, Player Efficiency Rating, takes that into account. And it shows us that Mourning was awesome from 96-00. By way of comparison, that five season stretch was just a shade below Moses Malone's BEST five season stretch (79-83). And no one in their right mind would call Malone anything less than totally dominant in his prime. To say that, at his best, Mourning was "good but not great" completely misses the mark.

If you look at Mourning's PER stats from 1993-2000, they're pretty damned impressive. In fact, they compare favorably with Bill Walton's. Walton is probably a fair comparison to Mourning in terms of his career: Walton's career was cut short by bad wheels, Mourning's by a bad kidney. But Walton only had two seasons where he played more than half the season and posted above a 20.0 PER. Mourning had eight. To me, that's a dominant performance. And of course, he won a ring last year, and contributed mightily to that championship (just as Walton did with the 86 Celtics).

The fact that Mourning was a jerk throughout most of his career doesn't matter. The HOF is littered with unsavory personalities and is no worse for it. And while Mourning was a jerk, he also never beat up his wife or had a drug problem (widespread drug problems nearly sunk the NBA in the pre-Bird/Magic Era). What counts is what he did on the court. And what he did on the court, even missing about 3 1/2 seasons to his kidney problem, is more than enough. I believe he should get in, and ultimately, he will.

Good analysis, but where do you get that he was a "jerk"?

The guy has been the single most philanthropic athlete in Miami history. (Marino helped build a children's hospital so he has a run for his money).

What iced it for me is his comeback.

He is currently a defensive force and arguably the best defensive center in the game in his second reincarnation. He was a defensive player of the year candidate last year and you can argue that his injury at the tail end of the season cost him the award. he is a candidate again this year.

His performance in the finals was the icing. His game 6 performance was insane. When the game was in doubt in that 3rd quarter he sparked what was basically the death nell to the Mavericks with his defense. His defense was what didn't allow the Mavs to get any type of run together in the second half. They played catch up the rest of the way.

Good analysis, but where do you get that he was a "jerk"?
The guy has been the single most philanthropic athlete in Miami history. (Marino helped build a children's hospital so he has a run for his money).

What iced it for me is his comeback.

He is currently a defensive force and arguably the best defensive center in the game in his second reincarnation. He was a defensive player of the year candidate last year and you can argue that his injury at the tail end of the season cost him the award. he is a candidate again this year.

His performance in the finals was the icing. His game 6 performance was insane. When the game was in doubt in that 3rd quarter he sparked what was basically the death nell to the Mavericks with his defense. His defense was what didn't allow the Mavs to get any type of run together in the second half. They played catch up the rest of the way.

Thank you. Personally, I don't care for Mourning (for reasons I'll elucidate below), but I believe the man deserves his due.

Anyway, Mourning's charity and philanthropy are well-known, and certainly admirable. In the big scheme of things, that certainly outweighs his misdeeds, so my calling him a jerk was probably unwarranted. Like I said, we've never heard about him doing anything particularly unsavory off the court.

What he has done, however, is been an integral part of the Knicks-Heat hate-fest that threatened to kill quality basketball as we know it, thugging it up all the while. He whined his way out of New Jersey, after the Nets went out on a very small limb to put confidence (and money) in him, and flatly refused to play in Toronto, helping to perpetuate the disastrous trend of players under contract openly defying their teams. I've got a problem with those things.

Still not a HOf despite riding Shaq and wade's coattails to a Championship he didn't deserve to win.

Still not a HOf despite riding Shaq and wade's coattails to a Championship he didn't deserve to win.
of course someone from NJ would hate on ZO. He is one of the best defensive players of all time, and he had a big role in the championship run.

Thank you. Personally, I don't care for Mourning (for reasons I'll elucidate below), but I believe the man deserves his due.

Anyway, Mourning's charity and philanthropy are well-known, and certainly admirable. In the big scheme of things, that certainly outweighs his misdeeds, so my calling him a jerk was probably unwarranted. Like I said, we've never heard about him doing anything particularly unsavory off the court.

What he has done, however, is been an integral part of the Knicks-Heat hate-fest that threatened to kill quality basketball as we know it, thugging it up all the while. He whined his way out of New Jersey, after the Nets went out on a very small limb to put confidence (and money) in him, and flatly refused to play in Toronto, helping to perpetuate the disastrous trend of players under contract openly defying their teams. I've got a problem with those things.
I absolutely HATE when those things are brought up as if they are negative things about ZO. Zo is a WINNER, he wants to win, he was all in and completely on board with the Nets until they came to a screeching halt, and he felt Mngmt, wasn't making any moves to get better, HE WANTS TO WIN, therefore, he wanted out. Then they traded him to Toronto, HE WANTS TO WIN, why would he show up? The Raptors are no where near contention, nor have they been in a long time. I admire the fact that its not about the money for Zo, its about the game, and championships to him.

Some would say that he putplayed SHAQ int he finals....and they would be right.

"Didn't deserve to win?" He was a member of the Heat...the heat beat the mavs...he deserved it.

You are letting your irrational hatred for this man cloud your judgement. Of course...you are the guy that said that he would NEVER EVER win a championship. I guess he will NEVER EVER make the HOF?

I absolutely HATE when those things are brought up as if they are negative things about ZO. Zo is a WINNER, he wants to win, he was all in and completely on board with the Nets until they came to a screeching halt, and he felt Mngmt, wasn't making any moves to get better, HE WANTS TO WIN, therefore, he wanted out. Then they traded him to Toronto, HE WANTS TO WIN, why would he show up? The Raptors are no where near contention, nor have they been in a long time. I admire the fact that its not about the money for Zo, its about the game, and championships to him.

Wow.

Seriously...wow.

If you want to defend Mourning as a good human being for the philanthropy he's done, like 126 did, wonderful. I'll buy that. Contributing extensive amounts of time and money to enrich the lives of the sick and impoverished is ultimately more important in the big scheme of things than anything he does on a basketball court.

But this, I mean....wow. Just wow. I mean, that's the kind of shameless, facts-be-damned sort of spin that should land you a job in politics.

of course someone from NJ would hate on ZO. He is one of the best defensive players of all time, and he had a big role in the championship run.

I am not from NJ. he's a good complimentary player but not a HOF type. HOFers lead teams, Zo couldn't gte it done as the bet player on the Heat, he didn't win anything until he came back and rode Shaq and wade's coattails to a Championship.

. Zo is a WINNER,

That had never won anything until last year. he didn't make FFs in college when GU was a #1 seed and didn't make the finals in Miami as a top seed. What exactly has he won that he's a winner?

he wants to win, he was all in and completely on board with the Nets until they came to a screeching halt, and he felt Mngmt, wasn't making any moves to get better

nobody was going to give him any money and the Nets gave him $20 mil, he OWED the Nets for that but instead he spit on them.

I admire the fact that its not about the money for Zo, its about the game, and championships to him.

:sidelol: :sidelol:

if it wasn't about the money the Nets would have let him go, if it wasn't about the money then why did he leave Miami in the 1st place and why did he hold Toronto hostage? it was ALL about the money.

if it wasn't about the money the Nets would have let him go, if it wasn't about the money then why did he leave Miami in the 1st place and why did he hold Toronto hostage? it was ALL about the money.

It isn't about the money now....he is playing for free.

true story. ZO is playing for no money now. That awful human being donates his 1 million salary to charity..and has done so for the last 3 years.

Zo is playing for free...and playing good.

Agree completely.

Wow.

Seriously...wow.

If you want to defend Mourning as a good human being for the philanthropy he's done, like 126 did, wonderful. I'll buy that. Contributing extensive amounts of time and money to enrich the lives of the sick and impoverished is ultimately more important in the big scheme of things than anything he does on a basketball court.

But this, I mean....wow. Just wow. I mean, that's the kind of shameless, facts-be-damned sort of spin that should land you a job in politics.
Does that mean I have your vote?:D

It isn't about the money now....he is playing for free.

true story. ZO is playing for no money now. That awful human being donates his 1 million salary to charity..and has done so for the last 3 years.

Zo is playing for free...and playing good.

he got paid 10s of millions for NOT playing a few years ago so he should be playing for free now.

Back
Top Bottom