"It's now or never for Ryan Tannehill" | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"It's now or never for Ryan Tannehill"

Ah! I see that the top secret particle accelerator under the stadium is warming up again. Be wary, friends. Secret Air Force experiments are about to bear fruit and unsuspecting Dolphins fans will pay the price. You have been warned!

Dolphins article from ESPN.com on Febuary 28th.

http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/5791/its-now-or-never-for-ryan-tannehill

Seems there are a lot of unknowns involving Tanny. But I know after watching him play the last two seasons he wants to win and is a true competitor.

Leaders aren't born, they are made and molded .

I have a lot of faith in Tannehill, and believe we have found our franchise QB; which he will prove in 2014. This guy had one hell of a season behind one of the worst o-lines and an offensive coordinator who was recently fired.

You're worse than the people that write him off as a bust. How about we wait and see what he does before we claim him as our franchise QB. Dude has literally been a middle of the pack QB so far. Young, which is great, but still average.

I claim bullsh_t on ESPN.. Sherman was RT's kryptonite.. an awful chess player.. never moved pieces to take advantage; didn't take advantage of special pieces he had at his disposal, when he had them (Bush, Wallace).. let's see what Lazor/Benton/Bicknell bring..

Exactly. There are two variables and virtually everyone here prefers flowery interpretation of the second, that Tannehill will improve dramatically with more playing time, while throwing away caution toward the first, that he wasn't playing quarterback at high level in college parallel to his peers. Tannehill was wide receiver or on the bench while guys like Russell Wilson were racking up 8+ yards per attempt at North Carolina State.

Then somehow we're supposed to be surprised when little has changed a few years later.

I believe in early excellence, that more often than not the adjustments don't work. The Dolphins have had four picks in the top 10 within the past decade and three times they preferred to ignore a less than ideal resume. Ronnie Brown redshirted in college without injury excuse at running back but it didn't matter. Ryan Tannehill was 23 years old before he started a college opener at quarterback but it didn't matter. Dion Jordan was a part time player in college but it didn't matter. The only time we relied on a standard resume for a premium pick we took Jake Long. Now, there are questions about the wisdom of naming an offensive tackle number one, and obviously there was a quarterback with a debatable franchise tag available, but at least we didn't reach for someone with a shaky background. And we were rewarded with Pro Bowl caliber play prior to injury.

Late bloomers are fine in limited quantity if you don't pay much. Cameron Wake obviously qualifies. The Dolphin offensive line during the '70s glory years contained several examples. But if you target guys early in the draft who have not fully proven themselves as elite, you are begging to be burned. And more often than not it will play out that way. Good, but not special. This league requires special. It irritates the heck out of me because I believe in playing the percentages, in doing the right thing and allowing the natural course of events to play out in your favor. The Dolphins too often draw to an inside straight without sensing that's the burden they are undertaking.

This forum is hilarious when so many posters prefer the fanciful adjustment, and don't want to be told that their perspectives are flawed and not exactly high percentage. Gravity, for example, uses actual numbers, and ones that are long established as the gold standards. Then he took it upon himself to contact sources from the top stats sites for advice while blending numbers in search of even greater clarity. He's produced some fantastic work here, threads I have shown to betting buddies who reacted very positively.

Yet somehow Gravity is mocked. You've got to love it. Please stay out of our way while we apply the bar stool caliber angles that we've happily grown accustomed to. We're going to continue to adjust -- dammit -- regardless of the duration of the losing streak. Imagine what this site would have looked like if it had existed during the heyday of the Marino era, with 6000+ yards forecast every year along with yet another Super Bowl romp.

Boom! Shots fired!

With everything that has been going on in Dolphinsland how could you be disappointed with what he's done? It's not like he's regressing. We're talking about a kid who had to throw it like 440 times last season on a team with a subpar line and no running game. That's not how football is played.

I don't even know if you can compare his situation to anyone else in the league. Russel Wilson has been great for Seattle, but we're talking about a kid who attempted the fewest passes in the NFL last year, has a great running game, and a stifling defense. Those are prime conditions to play in. Always have been.

Again, I'm not sure what we expected here.

Well now that you bring it up, him dropping back 588 times (compared to 484 his rookie year) was a huge mistake imo and completely unwarranted. His improvement when it comes to total yards and total TD's is partially a product of his passing excess. 'Tis also why his INT numbers went up. Suffice to say, imo it's also why we saw such a mess back there in terms of protection. Aside of obvious personnel issues, Tanny's pocket presence regressed horribly with mass doses of him dropping back to pass. Only twice in the entire year did he attempt less than 30 ...... and in 14 games he attempted 35+.

Well now that you bring it up, him dropping back 588 times (compared to 484 his rookie year) was a huge mistake imo and completely unwarranted. His improvement when it comes to total yards and total TD's is partially a product of his passing excess. 'Tis also why his INT numbers went up. Suffice to say, imo it's also why we saw such a mess back there in terms of protection. Aside of obvious personnel issues, Tanny's pocket presence regressed horribly with mass doses of him dropping back to pass. Only twice in the entire year did he attempt less than 30 ...... and in 14 games he attempted 35+.

That's the worst thing to do to a young qb.

Exactly. There are two variables and virtually everyone here prefers flowery interpretation of the second, that Tannehill will improve dramatically with more playing time, while throwing away caution toward the first, that he wasn't playing quarterback at high level in college parallel to his peers. Tannehill was wide receiver or on the bench while guys like Russell Wilson were racking up 8+ yards per attempt at North Carolina State.

Then somehow we're supposed to be surprised when little has changed a few years later.

I believe in early excellence, that more often than not the adjustments don't work. The Dolphins have had four picks in the top 10 within the past decade and three times they preferred to ignore a less than ideal resume. Ronnie Brown redshirted in college without injury excuse at running back but it didn't matter. Ryan Tannehill was 23 years old before he started a college opener at quarterback but it didn't matter. Dion Jordan was a part time player in college but it didn't matter. The only time we relied on a standard resume for a premium pick we took Jake Long. Now, there are questions about the wisdom of naming an offensive tackle number one, and obviously there was a quarterback with a debatable franchise tag available, but at least we didn't reach for someone with a shaky background. And we were rewarded with Pro Bowl caliber play prior to injury.

Late bloomers are fine in limited quantity if you don't pay much. Cameron Wake obviously qualifies. The Dolphin offensive line during the '70s glory years contained several examples. But if you target guys early in the draft who have not fully proven themselves as elite, you are begging to be burned. And more often than not it will play out that way. Good, but not special. This league requires special. It irritates the heck out of me because I believe in playing the percentages, in doing the right thing and allowing the natural course of events to play out in your favor. The Dolphins too often draw to an inside straight without sensing that's the burden they are undertaking.

This forum is hilarious when so many posters prefer the fanciful adjustment, and don't want to be told that their perspectives are flawed and not exactly high percentage. Gravity, for example, uses actual numbers, and ones that are long established as the gold standards. Then he took it upon himself to contact sources from the top stats sites for advice while blending numbers in search of even greater clarity. He's produced some fantastic work here, threads I have shown to betting buddies who reacted very positively.

Yet somehow Gravity is mocked. You've got to love it. Please stay out of our way while we apply the bar stool caliber angles that we've happily grown accustomed to. We're going to continue to adjust -- dammit -- regardless of the duration of the losing streak. Imagine what this site would have looked like if it had existed during the heyday of the Marino era, with 6000+ yards forecast every year along with yet another Super Bowl romp.

Meh

Too long winded for your own good. I bet you love to hear yourself talk.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Meh

Too long winded for your own good. I bet you love to hear yourself talk.

Last time I checked mr evildylan no one really pays attention to anything you post on these forums becuz everything you ever say is garbage. GG

Last time I checked mr evildylan no one really pays attention to anything you post on these forums becuz everything you ever say is garbage. GG

Well apparently you do, since you're replying right now. Keep trying, kiddo.

Well apparently you do, since you're replying right now. Keep trying, kiddo.

No no, you got it all wrong, I just like making garbage posters like yourself eat crow. Because history will show you've always been wrong about everything you have posted. Keep it up and finheaven might create an award in your name representing the greatest garbage posters of all time.

You're worse than the people that write him off as a bust. How about we wait and see what he does before we claim him as our franchise QB. Dude has literally been a middle of the pack QB so far. Young, which is great, but still average.

No.

No he is not.

Hmmm...posters with negative rep and a nearly 1:1 ratio of thanks/no thanks received calling other posters "garbage posters". Funny! :lol:

This is all well and good...and much of it is accurate.

Two points:

1) As much as it's a distinct possibility that Tannehill will NOT improve to the point where he's a top-echelon QB, it's simply not a given. I'm very much reminded of the speech in Moneyball where Beane clashes with his head scout whenever someone chides another for being hopeful. "You say you know better than everyone else what a player is going to be. And you don't." We're ALLOWED to be hopeful about Tannehill and throw caution to the wind. We're fans, and being a fan isn't rooted in stats and logic.

2) I genuinely think that much of the negative bias toward Tannehill is specifically because of the points you listed in your post. Holding the Fins history of drafting against Tannehill when judging his potential and predicting his future is every bit as biased as blatant homerism.

Also, while Gravity makes some excellent points and his effort is clear, there is unquestionably Anti-Tannehill bias there.

No no, you got it all wrong, I just like making garbage posters like yourself eat crow. Because history will show you've always been wrong about everything you have posted. Keep it up and finheaven might create an award in your name representing the greatest garbage posters of all time.

Sounds like you're obsessed with me if you've gone through each and every one of my posts to see if they are wrong.

Which every post isn't wrong, so...we'll all just take your little tantrums with a grain of salt.

Back
Top Bottom