Jake Long... Don't worry | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake Long... Don't worry

And why did he not pick them in the draft, because he was able to trade down a couple of times and pickup a tonne of draft picks. Do you think if he couldn't trade he'd still take Farrior or would he take the best player in Pace. I garrantee you he'll trade down in a heart beat, they've said it multiple times so that doesn't make C.Long any more the favourite than J.Long.

If he thought Pace was the best player in the draft, why trade down then? Probably because his conviction on Pace wasnt that strong and valued the picks more than he did pace or some of the top D prospects like russell or boulware. Same thing happened with walter jones. If he valued him so much, why not take him? The picks were more valuable then him in Parcells mind. He probably could of traded down from the 8th spot too. He didnt and took james farrior instead.

If he thought Pace was the best player in the draft, why trade down then? Probably because his conviction on Pace wasnt that strong and valued the picks more than he did pace or some of the top D prospects like russell or boulware. Same thing happened with walter jones. If he valued him so much, why not take him? The picks were more valuable then him in Parcells mind. He probably could of traded down from the 8th spot too. He didnt and took james farrior instead.

He believes (just like BB in NE) that more picks equals more team talent. Why take one great player when you can get 3 or 4 real good ones. That affects the team the most and it's how a team turns around quickly.

Saying that he probably could trade down again instead of taking Farrior but didn't is your way to try to prove your point with no facts, just your own speculation. If he's willing to trade down twice already I bet you he would have traded down again, that's what he does. If BP/JI could trade down to 1(5th) and still have the choice of C.Long or trade down again, he'd trade down again and again and again. I know that's talking Madden but I believe BP doesn't fall in love with any football player no matter how good they are. Just look at every 1st year with his new team the first thing he does is get rid of some player thought of as high end talent to prove everyone is replaceable. If you don't work hard enough I'll get rid of you, he puts everyone on the hotseat. So thinking C.Long is his type of player is right but he'll trade first before taking him.

If he'll cut ZT then he'll trade JT in a heart beat. The only reason he takes either Long is because his hand has been forced by no one offering anything up. J.Long makes the most sense, C.Long is everyone else saying he's a BP player and if we had some actual Oline depth I'd believe them.

He believes (just like BB in NE) that more picks equals more team talent. Why take one great player when you can get 3 or 4 real good ones. That affects the team the most and it's how a team turns around quickly.

Saying that he probably could trade down again instead of taking Farrior but didn't is your way to try to prove your point with no facts, just your own speculation. If he's willing to trade down twice already I bet you he would have traded down again, that's what he does. If BP/JI could trade down to 1(5th) and still have the choice of C.Long or trade down again, he'd trade down again and again and again. I know that's talking Madden but I believe BP doesn't fall in love with any football player no matter how good they are. Just look at every 1st year with his new team the first thing he does is get rid of some player thought of as high end talent to prove everyone is replaceable. If you don't work hard enough I'll get rid of you, he puts everyone on the hotseat. So thinking C.Long is his type of player is right but he'll trade first before taking him.

If he'll cut ZT then he'll trade JT in a heart beat. The only reason he takes either Long is because his hand has been forced by no one offering anything up. J.Long makes the most sense, C.Long is everyone else saying he's a BP player and if we had some actual Oline depth I'd believe them.

well here is a quote from Parcells that would happen to be in the new york times, which backs up my statement on if he would of traded down again.

Meanwhile, Parcells turned down a trade with Seattle today that would have dropped the Jets into the 12th spot in the first round. Parcells said he ''didn't want to take a gamble'' that Farrior or two other players he wanted, presumably linebacker Dwayne Rudd of Alabama and defensive tackle Reinard Wilson of Florida State, would be available at No. 12.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F02E2D6163EF933A15757C0A961958260

This proves my point as I had said before. He had his eyes on three players, but then again I guess wanting and falling in love with are two different things.

Here is another quote from Parcells about the tackle situation at the time on the Jets.

Parcells conceded today that he is also concerned about the offensive tackle position, which is somewhat odd since the Jets passed on taking Ohio State's Orlando Pace with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft. It was by trading that pick that the Jets triggered a series of downward moves, which allowed them to gather in all those extra selections.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...932A15757C0A961958260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=1

So if Parcells is concerned with the OT position, why would he pass on the chance to draft one, twice mind you, for next to nothing? All he got from st louis was a swap of firsts, a third, fourth, and seventh round pick. All this while concerned about the tackle position. At six when he had a shot at Walter Jones, he traded that to Tampa Bay for a swap of firsts and fourth round selection. Not exactly ringing endorsements for what Parcells thought of those two. In total he only picked up 4 extra picks, with one being on the first day. So if he passed on the chance to take a sure fire hall of famer and potential hall of famer, why would he take a lesser rated OT? Looking at those articles as well, it looks like he had his mind set on a defensive player, preferably at the LB spot. Seems to me he fell in love with them enough not to trade out of that spot for a shot at one of them.

well here is a quote from Parcells that would happen to be in the new york times, which backs up my statement on if he would of traded down again.

Meanwhile, Parcells turned down a trade with Seattle today that would have dropped the Jets into the 12th spot in the first round. Parcells said he ''didn't want to take a gamble'' that Farrior or two other players he wanted, presumably linebacker Dwayne Rudd of Alabama and defensive tackle Reinard Wilson of Florida State, would be available at No. 12.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F02E2D6163EF933A15757C0A961958260

This proves my point as I had said before. He had his eyes on three players, but then again I guess wanting and falling in love with are two different things.

Here is another quote from Parcells about the tackle situation at the time on the Jets.

Parcells conceded today that he is also concerned about the offensive tackle position, which is somewhat odd since the Jets passed on taking Ohio State's Orlando Pace with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft. It was by trading that pick that the Jets triggered a series of downward moves, which allowed them to gather in all those extra selections.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...932A15757C0A961958260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=1

So if Parcells is concerned with the OT position, why would he pass on the chance to draft one, twice mind you, for next to nothing? All he got from st louis was a swap of firsts, a third, fourth, and seventh round pick. All this while concerned about the tackle position. At six when he had a shot at Walter Jones, he traded that to Tampa Bay for a swap of firsts and fourth round selection. Not exactly ringing endorsements for what Parcells thought of those two. In total he only picked up 4 extra picks, with one being on the first day. So if he passed on the chance to take a sure fire hall of famer and potential hall of famer, why would he take a lesser rated OT? Looking at those articles as well, it looks like he had his mind set on a defensive player, preferably at the LB spot. Seems to me he fell in love with them enough not to trade out of that spot for a shot at one of them.

Sure fire hall of famer and a potential hall of famer NOW not then, I can't explain why he passed on them except that they had an OT and they wanted a upgrade but needed defensive players first. Taking an OT would have been a luxury if they didn't have glaring needs on the defense. We on the other hand are the exact opposite where a biggest glaring weakness is the OT and we can get away with two probowl OLB's for the time being.

We can get away without drafting a single defensive player this year (it would suck for the future though) but we need alot of help on the offense or were gonna pick #1 again (maybe another OLB to replace JP). If we don't address the Oline promptly and effectively we will suck royally this year. You can get away with the TE's we have (not a great idea), we can get away with the WR's we have but trying to plug in the 7th or 8th at best OT's will be a big mistake. Then we'd be adding a hopefully good guard too boot. This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, Beck will have a limited at best chance to succeed next year.

Guarantee me G.Cherilus in the 2nd and maybe just maybe I could deal with C.Long as the 1st overall. Since you can't and the fact that A.Cason or someone of that calibre could be there at 32 we might be waiting until 2b. There's also a chance Lofton, Davis maybe Laws or someone else with great value maybe available there when do we draft this Oline? Or are you willing to reach for the bottom of the barrel, please tell me that the rest of these guys aren't far off from J.Long or that these others will be able to be coached up or some other crap like that.

to me, the need for an immediate infusion of talent on the offensive line is obvious. not so much at linebacker. in fact you could convince me that the need for talent at ILB is greater than OLB. if we select Chris Long, it will be at the expense of other, very important positions. plus, how much of the cap will be used on one position? 15-20%? yes, JT and JP only have a few years left, but we do have those few years with two of the best OLB's in the league. the time to upgrade the O-line is now.

I think if anything Parcells history will make him draft Jake Long MORE.

He saw what a stupid mistake it was not to draft Pace or Jones... And a wise man learns from his mistakes.

I think if anything Parcells history will make him draft Jake Long MORE.

He saw what a stupid mistake it was not to draft Pace or Jones... And a wise man learns from his mistakes.

Could you tell me what makes Parcells think this? They had issues at RT going into 2005. Yet they passed on Jammal Brown and Alex Barron to take.....Demarcus Ware, an OLB.

Sure fire hall of famer and a potential hall of famer NOW not then, I can't explain why he passed on them except that they had an OT and they wanted a upgrade but needed defensive players first. Taking an OT would have been a luxury if they didn't have glaring needs on the defense. We on the other hand are the exact opposite where a biggest glaring weakness is the OT and we can get away with two probowl OLB's for the time being.

We can get away without drafting a single defensive player this year (it would suck for the future though) but we need alot of help on the offense or were gonna pick #1 again (maybe another OLB to replace JP). If we don't address the Oline promptly and effectively we will suck royally this year. You can get away with the TE's we have (not a great idea), we can get away with the WR's we have but trying to plug in the 7th or 8th at best OT's will be a big mistake. Then we'd be adding a hopefully good guard too boot. This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, Beck will have a limited at best chance to succeed next year.

Guarantee me G.Cherilus in the 2nd and maybe just maybe I could deal with C.Long as the 1st overall. Since you can't and the fact that A.Cason or someone of that calibre could be there at 32 we might be waiting until 2b. There's also a chance Lofton, Davis maybe Laws or someone else with great value maybe available there when do we draft this Oline? Or are you willing to reach for the bottom of the barrel, please tell me that the rest of these guys aren't far off from J.Long or that these others will be able to be coached up or some other crap like that.

My point on the sure fire hall of famer and hall of famer comments were that at the time, they both were rated more highly than Jake Long coming out. Yet Parcells passed on both of them for nothing to substantial. Yes the Jets did have a glaring need for one, as Parcells said himself. Yet he still did not value those two over a third, two fourths, and a seventh. He did value Farrior however to whatever the seahawks were offering. Just like the Jets then, we have glaring needs on both sides of the ball. Parcells believes to build teams on defense first, the same philosophy he has passed to Jeff Ireland.

Well if anything, the defense and certain offensive positions will be addressed earlier rather the offense as a whole. Parcells and Ireland like big TE's that can block and catch like Martellus Bennett. He fits the mold of what those two are looking for and very well could be picked early. Also dustin keller could end up being picked early to fill our H Back role. Just how they do things.

Your right I cant guarantee Cherilus will be there, but Duane Brown, Anthony Collins, or Sam Baker will be there in the 2nd. Antoine Cason probably wont make it out of the first, seeing as how vastly underrated he is by the general public. Coaching up later round I guess is crap to you but seems to be what the coaching staff prefers. Probably in the third is when we are going to add a tackle.

to me, the need for an immediate infusion of talent on the offensive line is obvious. not so much at linebacker. in fact you could convince me that the need for talent at ILB is greater than OLB. if we select Chris Long, it will be at the expense of other, very important positions. plus, how much of the cap will be used on one position? 15-20%? yes, JT and JP only have a few years left, but we do have those few years with two of the best OLB's in the league. the time to upgrade the O-line is now.

So when JT is traded fairly soon, JP is cut next year or moved possibly moved to ILB this year, then what? Those two arent Parcells and Ireland's players. They have no allegiance to them. When someone like Chris Long fits almost to the T what BP and JI want in OLB, they will more than likely take him.

wow it funny how so many people listen to these "experts" on espn and nfl network has anyone ever wondered why these guys arent head scouts for team if they are so ****ing great o that is right they dont have a ****ing clue they listen to whispers from teams then report it like they know. kiper and mayock are the worlds biggest con artists i could do the exact same job they do just as good

wow it funny how so many people listen to these "experts" on espn and nfl network has anyone ever wondered why these guys arent head scouts for team if they are so ****ing great o that is right they dont have a ****ing clue they listen to whispers from teams then report it like they know. kiper and mayock are the worlds biggest con artists i could do the exact same job they do just as good

if you say so. Theres a reason they get paid to do it and you dont.

So when JT is traded fairly soon, JP is cut next year or moved possibly moved to ILB this year, then what? Those two arent Parcells and Ireland's players. They have no allegiance to them. When someone like Chris Long fits almost to the T what BP and JI want in OLB, they will more than likely take him.

amazing how you can read the future... Parcells, Sparano and Taylor all say he will play for the Dolphins this year. it could be a smokescreen but we don't know anything for sure right now and I'm taking everyone for their word. as far as Joey Porter is concerned, it would too big of a cap hit to get rid of him this year and possibly next. if JT is moved, yes there is room for Chris Long. if not, there isn't and I'm sure he isn't the only OLB in the next two drafts that fits the criteria of what BP and JI want.

amazing how you can read the future... Parcells, Sparano and Taylor all say he will play for the Dolphins this year. it could be a smokescreen but we don't know anything for sure right now and I'm taking everyone for their word. as far as Joey Porter is concerned, it would too big of a cap hit to get rid of him this year and possibly next. if JT is moved, yes there is room for Chris Long. if not, there isn't and I'm sure he isn't the only OLB in the next two drafts that fits the criteria of what BP and JI want.

Sparano has some say in player acquisition, but Parcells and Ireland have the final say. Why do the rumors keep persisting that he is gone as soon as the right offer comes in? Why isnt JT committed to being here and working out with his team mates compared to dancing?

Getting rid of porter next year is very possible. His cap is not that bad and we might even save money. On top of that, JT is 34 next year and JP is 31. Not exactly young, on top of the fact there skills are declining. Could you tell me some of OLB in the next two drafts that are anywhere near chris long? brian cushing comes to mind but he is more of a weakside OLB compared to chris long who is a more strongside OLB.

Sparano has some say in player acquisition, but Parcells and Ireland have the final say. Why do the rumors keep persisting that he is gone as soon as the right offer comes in? Why isnt JT committed to being here and working out with his team mates compared to dancing?

Getting rid of porter next year is very possible. His cap is not that bad and we might even save money. On top of that, JT is 34 next year and JP is 31. Not exactly young, on top of the fact there skills are declining. Could you tell me some of OLB in the next two drafts that are anywhere near chris long? brian cushing comes to mind but he is more of a weakside OLB compared to chris long who is a more strongside OLB.

they call them rumors for a reason, they are just that. the front office has said Jason will play for the Dolphins this year and just because some internet bloggers and sportswriters speculate otherwise, it doesn't mean he won't. Jason is not missing any mandatory camps or workouts and Sparano has given his blessing on the TV show. until JT is traded or JP is off the team, it doesn't make sense to use the #1 overall draft pick on their position. this team has too many holes to pick a position occupied by two pro bowl players. I would say Quentin Groves would fit BP and JI's criteria for an OLB nicely. he might not be as good as Long, but he is plenty good enough.

they call them rumors for a reason, they are just that. the front office has said Jason will play for the Dolphins this year and just because some internet bloggers and sportswriters speculate otherwise, it doesn't mean he won't. Jason is not missing any mandatory camps or workouts and Sparano has given his blessing on the TV show. until JT is traded or JP is off the team, it doesn't make sense to use the #1 overall draft pick on their position. this team has too many holes to pick a position occupied by two pro bowl players. I would say Quentin Groves would fit BP and JI's criteria for an OLB nicely. he might not be as good as Long, but he is plenty good enough.

you keep referring to them as pro bowl players but when did Porter last go to the pro bowl? When did JT go to the pro bowl as an exclusive OLB? Point being they are both past their prime and declining and were not players picked by Parcells and Ireland. They have no loyalty to them. Add that to the fact they have an absolute infatuation with OLBs and Chris Long has everything they want in a strongside OLB, then Chris Long is the likely choice. Add that again to the fact that they dont covet OTs as highly.

Back
Top Bottom