Jake Long... Don't worry | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake Long... Don't worry

How would you guys feel if we did something like this. Take J.Long 1st overall. Then trade back into the first if necessary and grab Cherilus?

Who said they both had to play tackle? Cherilus was a guard in college. If he proves better than Long at lt plug long in at guard or vice versa.

Who said they both had to play tackle? Cherilus was a guard in college. If he proves better than Long at lt plug long in at guard or vice versa.

yea not happening. way to many needs to see if cherilus could play guard. on top of that you want to take your number one overall pick and play him at guard? i dont think so. leave them both at tackle.

well here is a quote from gil brandt who knows a thing or two about the draft.

"I don't know of a player in this draft who has no negatives," says Gil Brandt, draft analyst for NFL.com and former vice president of player personnel for the Dallas Cowboys. "Except Chris Long."

you don't really believe that do you? with all due respect, that's one man's opinion. here are some others:

Doesn't have great timed speed or quickness...May not have a lot of upside...Not a great natural pass rusher...Isn't going to strike fear into the hearts of opposing offensive tackles off the edge...Was not overly productive prior to his senior year.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/chrislong.html

Not a phenomenal natural athlete…first step is only adequate…has he already maxed out his potential?...which position suits him best at the NFL level?...can he dominate against premier offensive linemen?

http://warroomreport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=113&Itemid=1

He may already be a finished product with little upside. He’s still developing as a pass rusher and has only demonstrated elite pass rushing ability during his senior year.

http://profootballexperts.scout.com/2/740258.html

you don't really believe that do you? with all due respect, that's one man's opinion. here are some others:

Doesn't have great timed speed or quickness...May not have a lot of upside...Not a great natural pass rusher...Isn't going to strike fear into the hearts of opposing offensive tackles off the edge...Was not overly productive prior to his senior year.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/chrislong.html

Not a phenomenal natural athlete…first step is only adequate…has he already maxed out his potential?...which position suits him best at the NFL level?...can he dominate against premier offensive linemen?

http://warroomreport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=113&Itemid=1

He may already be a finished product with little upside. He’s still developing as a pass rusher and has only demonstrated elite pass rushing ability during his senior year.

http://profootballexperts.scout.com/2/740258.html

so i guess gil brandt holds no weight then.

well how old are these reports? the war room report is from feb 16th which happens to be before the combine where chris long proved how athletic he is, which is what has been seen on tape.

scott wright did that report some time ago as well. before the combine. read that whole article on scout.com and it will tell you why he only showed elite pass rush ability his senior year. he was double teamed constantly from the 3-4 end spot which isnt a position you would expect to see get alot of sacks. yet he still did it with little to no help around him.

well here is a quote from gil brandt who knows a thing or two about the draft.

Forget about Gil Brandt.. I can name NFL head coaches who actually work DIRECTLY "in" the league who stated that Jake Long WILL BE an excellent "left" tackle in the NFL.

And they know alot more than just "a thing or two" like you, or your guy does.

well how old are these reports? the war room report is from feb 16th which happens to be before the combine where chris long proved how athletic he is, which is what has been seen on tape.

scott wright did that report some time ago as well. before the combine. read that whole article on scout.com and it will tell you why he only showed elite pass rush ability his senior year. he was double teamed constantly from the 3-4 end spot which isnt a position you would expect to see get alot of sacks. yet he still did it with little to no help around him.

Gil Brandt's opinion, however respected he may be, is still one man's opinion. neither he, nor Chris Long is perfect. I'm not saying Chris won't be a great player, I'm saying he does have negatives. just because these reports are a month and a half old, doesn't make them invalid. also, in one post you say nevermind Jake Long's combine numbers because they mean nothing. then you say Chris Long's combine results prove something. you can't have it both ways.

Gil Brandt's opinion, however respected he may be, is still one man's opinion. neither he, nor Chris Long is perfect. I'm not saying Chris won't be a great player, I'm saying he does have negatives. just because these reports are a month and a half old, doesn't make them invalid. also, in one post you say nevermind Jake Long's combine numbers because they mean nothing. then you say Chris Long's combine results prove something. you can't have it both ways.

definitely did not say they prove nothing. i just said they are not the end all be all. they prove or disprove whats on film. just like what i said about chris long, his athletic ability shows up on game tape and so did it at the combine. jake long, while athletic in shorts, did not show it as well on the tape, which is what i said.

could you also point out where i or gil brandt said chris long is perfect? brandt said he has no negatives which does not mean he is perfect. he just has no glaring weakness to work on in his game.

those reports were not invalid at the time, the information is pretty out dated. chris long proved on film how athletic he is. then he cemented it at the combine.

Forget about Gil Brandt.. I can name NFL head coaches who actually work DIRECTLY "in" the league who stated that Jake Long WILL BE an excellent "left" tackle in the NFL.

And they know alot more than just "a thing or two" like you, or your guy does.

Sure lets just throw gil brandt out because you said so. i mean the guy is only respected by pretty much everyone in the league but he doesnt matter because you say so.

could you provide these links from nfl coaches?

never said he would be close to long. doesnt have to be. he just needs to able to play RT well enough, which he does. he may not be the pro bowl RT long will be but he will do just fine.

I think that line of thinking is what has gotten Miami in trouble all these years with these horrible O-Lines that they've had. The Settling for lesser talent in a later round is what has caused mediocracy up front. Frankly I'm sick of it and just want the best player/players possible on that O-line to FINALLY create some time for our QB's and some holes for our RB's.

I think that line of thinking is what has gotten Miami in trouble all these years with these horrible O-Lines that they've had. The Settling for lesser talent in a later round is what has caused mediocracy up front. Frankly I'm sick of it and just want the best player/players possible on that O-line to FINALLY create some time for our QB's and some holes for our RB's.

trust me so do i. with all the holes we have on this team, parcells and ireland are going to be building this team in their image, which is to build the defense first with big, athletic OLBs like Chris Long.

if you want to put that much stock into combine drills, i guess mike mamula should be in the hall of fame soon. the combine is not the end all be all, its part of the equation, with game tape being what holds alot more weight than the combine drills. anybody can look good in shorts. look at the tape, secondary pass rush moves give the fits. the outside rush with quick inside moves give him problems. moving side to side isnt his thing.

Your bang on there, that's why giving up 2 sacks in four years against high calibre talent = NFL starting LT. I thought you'd finally see it our way.

You just told me that the combine shouldn't hold any weight when judging a player so as long as those reports were after the season they are probably the most accurate. So which one is it the combine is important or isn't or does this only apply for YOUR arguements?

You just told me that the combine shouldn't hold any weight when judging a player so as long as those reports were after the season they are probably the most accurate. So which one is it the combine is important or isn't or does this only apply for YOUR arguements?

could you please show me where i said they hold no weight? im pretty sure i said they arent the end all be all and are part of the equation, not the whole thing. i also believe i said they were used in conjuction with film. so if you could show that to me.

well your reports proved to be inaccurate so how do they hold weight again?

Back
Top Bottom