Jarvis Landry says he wants to play for Dolphins next season, but | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jarvis Landry says he wants to play for Dolphins next season, but

Julio Jones is rare. Antonio Brown, Gronk, Odell Beckham, these guys are rare. Landry? He’s a mediocre slot receiver on a bad team, not a number one, too many penalties and boneheaded plays, too few touchdowns and third down conversions, and yac. Don’t overestimate or overpay this guy, he’s not that special...
He’s not a true alpha receiver but to say he is mediocre is ridiculous

Last year- the - scores too few TDs was an argument. How’s that this year? His yac would be better with better passes. The main thing going against him is all the penalties

I’m not saying go out and over pay him but he’s a damn good player

Show the hot head the door. Makes tons of catches but makes tons of mistakes. Takes stupid penalties and fumbles at costly times. No thanks. Bye

That would be a wasted opportunity.

Throw him out the door head first.

Show the hot head the door. Makes tons of catches but makes tons of mistakes. Takes stupid penalties and fumbles at costly times. No thanks. Bye

How do you replace a guy that led the league in catches and has broken TWO franchise records in catches?

I've said this before, Landry is a good WR but the problem the way I see it is this......if you break the bank for him then you're saying you're going to keep running the offense thru him and that's a problem. Why is that a problem?........He's not a deep guy so you have to keep throwing those short passes to him and in order to score we need 10 to 14 play drives and once to try to do that all the time there are just too many things that can go wrong to kill the drive like a missed block or a bad pass or a drop or a penalty that sets us back. High scoring offenses go deep and scores fast often. That's the kind of offense that wins a lot. In order to run our offense thru him we'd have to be perfect way too often and that's very hard to do. That is the reason I don't want to over pay for him. I don't want a slot WR to be our prime target because it will lead us to not score enough point in most games.....but hey, I'm just a fan and that's just my opinion

Ozzy rules!!

I wish the Dolphins could evaluate and sign our talent prior to them hitting FA. Throw them some cash while they are on crappy rookie deals and you get a discount.

Can't make them sign just by offering money if they want elite level deals or want to wait to test the market. For example I'm sure MIami has offered Landry a deal, he wants more than they are currently offering.

The one thing I don't get is people who want to resign Landry and elite level money and then say sense Parker isn't a true number one Miami needs to continue to search for one. If Landry isn't a number one why would you be willing to pay him like one and then use him like a number two option fighting for targets with Stills and hopefully a decent tight end. Not saying he's not worth a big deal, but if you're going to pay him like a number one and then immediately look to bump him down the pecking order I don't think it's wise spending.

Good question Danny. But I'm apprehensive with Parker as our slot, here's why. ess out of his breaks and an average route runner, so the slot doesn't really play to his strengths.

As for Parker playing some in the slot, I don't see it. I could see Miami rolling with two big receivers on the outside, Parker and Martavious Bryant and playing Stills in the slot some.

Last edited:
How do you replace a guy that led the league in catches and has broken TWO franchise records in catches?
Landry is a product of our (broken) system. A lot of the catches to Landry would normally be taken by a RB. JTrain was pathetic catching the ball. He also became the favorite receiver for Tannehill over the years. All those passes behind the LOS or 3 yards and a cloud of dust on 3rd and long when we were supposed to go for the stick took the safe route. Nothing worse than screwing up stats. On a team with a decent pass catching RB, a pass catching TE and a couple receivers who are threats in the secondary and Landry becomes complimentary.

If Landry does leave there are two WR that might be worth picking at 11. Sutton and Ridley. Both are play makers. One is a big target and the other can make all the plays but neither is the slot type. Ridley could play the slot but he's not very big to be going over the middle and with Sutton then we'd only have Grant with that quickness to play inside?
Still, having Parker, Stills and Ridley going deep reminds me of when the Vikings had Reed, Carter and Moss.
Add a TE and look out

Ozzy rules!!

Landry is a good player, and the Dolphins are a team that has suffered because they've let good players make too much money elsewhere recently. Olivier Vernon was a good player who got overpaid by the Giants. Charles Clay, a good player overpaid by the Bills. Dion Sims, a good player overpaid by the Bears. Jarvis Landry, a good player who will be overpaid by: ???

Will it be us?

As much as I hate to see good players leave the team -- knowing that we have been less than great about replacing talent drain -- at this point I just wouldn't mind.

I wonder when Landry will start tweeting since the season is over. Does he wait a day before letting the world know he wants to get paid by someone?

It's funny but most people on this board have said that Suh should have never gotten that contract(and they're right) because you don't pay a DT that kind of money but now we have most of the board(not all) saying that we should over pay for a slot WR which imo is wrong......I repeat, MY OPINION and I don't need anyone to agree with me cause in the end it's not up to any of us what they do with Landry but here's my reason why I wouldn't over pay for him or ANY slot WR.

When you run your offense thru a slot WR like we pretty much have done, most of the time you need drive that are 10, 12, 14 plays drives in order to score. Why is that a bad thing? Because too many things can go wrong when you need that many plays. Yes it helps the defense rest when you go that many plays IF you actually score. The problem is that this offense has nor score enough points and imo the reason is simple. You try running that many plays on a drive and most of the time something is bound to go wrong. A dropped, a bad pass, an INT, a fumble, a missed block, a sack or a penalty. The more plays you run, the more chances for something to go wrong. When you run a high scoring offense you need big chunk plays and that doesn't happen often by throwing 5 yard passes to your slot WR.

Now I know some of you will say that I hate Landry and how crazy I am wanting him gone. I don't want him gone at all. I just want us to run a better offense which won't happen if he's the number 1 target. Some will say we didn't score enough this year because of Cutler and I agree he's a big part of the problem but we haven't have a high scoring offense in years and years and it's time they change the way they do things because what they have done is not working. All this BS about "pay the man" and "you have to keep your own".....look at the contracts they gave away to "keep our own" this past off season. Did that work?

I have nothing personal against him and hope he's back but the price has to be right. For those of you saying "pay the man", how much should they pay him? 15mill? 16mill? 20mill? That statement makes no sense. You can't say just pay the man without having a limit and if there's a limit then what is that limit?

Over paying for Suh was a big mistakes that has gotten us nothing and over paying for Landry would be the same mistake once again

All of that is my opinion and I know most of you don't agree but I'm waiting to hear what is the limit as to how much we should "pay the man"

Ozzy rules!!
Except....it doesn’t HAVE to take 10,12,14 play drives. There is zero reason that we have to waste plays like we have.

What you have to have are guys around him who can stretch the field.

I’d have to say the Patriots sure didn’t suffer when Wes Walker was the most targeted receiver for them. And I guarantee that if Landry were picked up today by the Patriots, he would be as good as Walker was with them.

I like Landry. He's a solid WR, but you absolutely can not pay him like a WR1 if you care about winning playoff games. He's coming off a season in which he averaged less than 9 yards a catch. And, this part of it is a little subjective, but whereas in past years he always seemed kind of dangerous with the ball in his hands, I really didn't have that sense much this year. His plays were far more pedestrian. His YAC was the worst of his career despite having over 100 receptions for only the second time in his career. You can blame Cutler or the play-calling or whatever, and maybe you'd have a point, but Landry was much closer to being "just a guy" this year than at any other time in his career. He's a very bad value at 15 million per year, and he'll be a bad value whatever he ends up getting paid, unless he ends up with Kenny Stills money.

Julio Jones is rare. Antonio Brown, Gronk, Odell Beckham, these guys are rare. Landry? He’s a mediocre slot receiver on a bad team, not a number one, too many penalties and boneheaded plays, too few touchdowns and third down conversions, and yac. Don’t overestimate or overpay this guy, he’s not that special...

There is something to be said for being a bad mother******. He is the only alpha personality on the team. Everyone else at WR is butter soft. Drake and Landry are the only two people on offense with a heavy sack.

Jarvis had a whopping two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties this year. Both in the last three weeks of the season. One of them we just saw (while very egregious/ridiculous) was in a completely meaningless game and the final moments of an awful, frustrating season. The other was in the previous Buffalo matchup after he made a remark to a ref after a terrible and ridiculous offensive PI call was made against him.

Not that he is excused from these, but I would say he has channeled his aggressiveness better in 2017 (two UC penalties) versus 2016 where he had five silly penalties (two taunting, two unsportsmanlike conduct, and one unnecessary roughness). I'd argue that the ejection situation would not have happened if the game had playoff implications for Miami, seeing as he had 0 UC penalties from weeks 1-15 when the games were more meaningful. Obviously, we can't know for sure though.

Needless to say, I think the chatter about "stupid penalties" is overly exaggerated.

Last year- the - scores too few TDs was an argument. How’s that this year? His yac would be better with better passes. The main thing going against him is all the penalties

I’m not saying go out and over pay him but he’s a damn good player

Thank you for this. I recall a thread a few months back comparing OJ to Landry, and several poster's knock on Landry being lack of TDs (despite him having more TDs going into his 4th season then OJ did lol). On that note, now this season he's surpassed OJ's season-high TD figure.

I do disagree with the remark about penalties, as mentioned above in my post. Overall, he had five total this year (two UC, and three others). Compared to someone like Stills with seven penalties, and you do not hear a thing about it around here.

You are spot on with your last sentence though. :thumbsup

Landry is a product of our (broken) system. A lot of the catches to Landry would normally be taken by a RB. JTrain was pathetic catching the ball. He also became the favorite receiver for Tannehill over the years. All those passes behind the LOS or 3 yards and a cloud of dust on 3rd and long when we were supposed to go for the stick took the safe route. Nothing worse than screwing up stats. On a team with a decent pass catching RB, a pass catching TE and a couple receivers who are threats in the secondary and Landry becomes complimentary.

You're really asking for a lot if you are looking for a pass catching RB, TE, and more receiver threats. The majority of the league is not in that position, yet they do not have a single player racking up the number of catches Jarvis does. Yes, I think it has to do with the system (which you alluded to) but I disagree that it is broken, hence 2016 - which still involved many short passes to him. He's proven to be a playmaker that makes defenders miss (plus relentless effort), which is the biggest reason he's the short pass target. I'd argue you wouldn't find much better in this league. With the lack of good QB play (as opposed to 2016) / deep ball threat to spread the field, his YPC suffered this year.

There is something to be said for being a bad mother******. He is the only alpha personality on the team. Everyone else at WR is butter soft. Drake and Landry are the only two people on offense with a heavy sack.

Thank you - you get it sir! Imagine Parker with that type of effort? Landry plays with the passion and aggressiveness we've lacked from our players for years, compared to the other pansies on the field - and people are butthurt over his two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties this year.

Back
Top Bottom