Jarvis Landry says he wants to play for Dolphins next season, but | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jarvis Landry says he wants to play for Dolphins next season, but

14.5 mill a year for Landry? I don't think so

Ozzy rules!!
Current big name Wrs left are Sammy Watkins, Jarvis Landry and Allen Robinson. Idk if Landy will get the money he's looking for.

That's the point I was trying to make about Landry. We should not break the bank for him and as far as Suh, if you're fine with making him the highest paid defender in the NFL then fine but I don't think that's how you build a good defense. You pay the most money to the guys that get to the QB's and that's not the DT's

Ozzy rules!!

Then you don't understand the importance of the DTs. There's a reason DTs and DEs are paid about the same on average.

I thought 4-5y $12M/yr with 50-57% GTD was about the range. I think the Adams deal confirms that. Jarvis is a slot WR, but plays with the heart as a #1. I still think 4/48, $14M signing, and $24-$27M in the first two years gets it done.

Devantae Adams got $14.5 mil per?

Whoof

Thing is the packers never pay top dollar for anyone.

Oh don't misunderstand me, Landry has earned it never said he hasn't.....but my point was he was basically circling around the lake instead of jumping in and saying I want my x amount of money........that's all. On the topic of him being better than OBJR........no way. Landry is a slot receiver, you aren't going to stretch the field with him.
I agree, I think he is being professional about it and keeping those talks behind closed doors instead of through the media. My point of him being better is that for OBJR to be good, he needs a good QB. I don't think you would see OBJR put the #'s he has up if he were on a team with a weaker QB. Eli isn't the Eli of old, but he can still sling it...Landry, as a slot receiver, could be as good as he is now on any team. Would OBJR be as successful here in Miami, or in Cleveland? Lot of what if's but food for thought...

Question. Do you think Parker could play the slot? If the answer is yes and Landry leaves, would taking Sutton at 12 if he's there be a good move? The guy looks like a beast out there. I know the board would go crazy with a WR in the first round but the big play talent would be there with all 3 and cost way less than giving Landry 15mill a year

Ozzy rules!!
Good question Danny. But I'm apprehensive with Parker as our slot, here's why. Two of the main attributes Parker possesses are length and speed. Those can be fully utilized out wide to create a 1v1 monster deep and to keep safeties honest opening up routes and run lanes for the rest of the team. Putting Parker in the slot, does not take full advantage of his length and speed advantages.

The main attributes needed for a slot receiver are quickness out of his breaks to create separation, savvy route running to create separation and be at the right place at the right time for the QB to time his throw through the passing window, and ability to adjust to and catch the ball. While Parker excels at the third of those three, he is subpar at explosive quickness out of his breaks and an average route runner, so the slot doesn't really play to his strengths.

On the negative side, Parker's main negative is durability. He can't stay healthy on the outside. I would be hesitant of his availability if he had to endure the constant pounding taken in the slot.

While his length, ability to adjust to the ball and good hands definitely make him an attractive slot candidate; and his speed in the open field makes us salivate a bit, I think the total package might suggest keeping Parker outside may get the most out of his talents. But, for an occasional wrinkle against teams with small slot corners, it sure could create an exciting mismatch opportunity. And we all know how Landry loves getting a few reps outside ... so that could work.

14.5 million for Adams is a bit rich, but not unreasonable.

I still think Jarvis lands in that 12 to 13 area, but with higher guarantees (and no home state tax) to offset the AAV.

And I do think Miami will throw Parker out there to see what he'd get in a trade. They won't get lowballed, but in a relatively weak WR market this year, you gotta see what your bait can bring in

Last edited:
Then you don't understand the importance of the DTs. There's a reason DTs and DEs are paid about the same on average.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. In MY opinion and it's just my opinion, you don't build a defense by paying the most money to a DT and the fact is that we have made no progress with our defense since we got him. I love that he's a part of our team and I believe he's our best player. It's the contract that I don't like and plenty of people in the NFL have said that you pay the big buck to players that get to the QB on defense. Trust me, I totally understand that DT's are important. Every player is but you seem to be ok that we broke the bank for him and I'm not so we'll have to leave it at that

Ozzy rules!!

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. In MY opinion and it's just my opinion, you don't build a defense by paying the most money to a DT and the fact is that we have made no progress with our defense since we got him. I love that he's a part of our team and I believe he's our best player. It's the contract that I don't like and plenty of people in the NFL have said that you pay the big buck to players that get to the QB on defense. Trust me, I totally understand that DT's are important. Every player is but you seem to be ok that we broke the bank for him and I'm not so we'll have to leave it at that

Ozzy rules!!

In fairness, it is easy not to like the contract once it has been restructured and the contingency rollover was blown on Cutler.

Suh isn't the problem. And in all honesty, neither was the contract. He is an elite player and Miami has not shown where it can draft elite defense. You pay for quality and he has given you that. Many free agent busts have came and gone and you add that up you will realize the Suh deal is fine.

Again I take it back to 2013, when absolutely NOTHING worked out on defense from that year, draft and FA, the cupboard was just bare and it takes time to rebuild.

We are getting there, hopefully we still get a piece of "prime" Suh when it all comes together.

Like I said, I like having Sun on the team but I truly believe that the team needs to fix it's pay structure. It's not just the contract they gave Suh but all the others they have given out too and now we have a ton of posters wanting to break the back for a slot WR too. That's what I call trying to build a team with no real vision as to what the foundation should be but I hope I'm wrong and all these moves help us win a super bowl

Ozzy rules!!

Like I said, I like having Sun on the team but I truly believe that the team needs to fix it's pay structure. It's not just the contract they gave Suh but all the others they have given out too and now we have a ton of posters wanting to break the back for a slot WR too. That's what I call trying to build a team with no real vision as to what the foundation should be but I hope I'm wrong and all these moves help us win a super bowl

Ozzy rules!!

I mean most contracts are only 2 year deals. Both Branch and Alonso are that. And TJ Mcdonald. If they don't live up to it, they can cut bait. People getting all upset over positions of need and the need to fill a roster. Miami has another good draft, then you can replace guys like Kiko and Branch if they underperform. In the process Miami is building equity with players, something they lost a long time ago. Free agents know they can come to Miami on a cheap year, perform and get a fair deal in FA. This had become a leverage team, now it can get guys in FA.

The Branch deal from 2016 to 2018 will be 3 years/19.7 million.

The Kiko deal from 2016 to 2018 will be 3 years/17 million.

The TJ deal is literally 2017 to 2018 and will be 2 years/7.7 million

All 3 deals are extended if play warrants it.

People worry too much about the cap.

Even a Landry deal will be structured this way. Never mind having him for peanuts for 4 years, no matter what u give him it will average around 6 million per season in the end. You gotta reward that, he is important to this team.

Dolphins gotta draft better. Last draft was brilliant in theory, hopefully the players work out. I will take a carbon copy of the focus on defense with a QB thrown in somewhere in the first half of it (don't think TE will be of any value) and a Day 3 RB.

I mean most contracts are only 2 year deals. Both Branch and Alonso are that. And TJ Mcdonald. If they don't live up to it, they can cut bait. People getting all upset over positions of need and the need to fill a roster. Miami has another good draft, then you can replace guys like Kiko and Branch if they underperform. In the process Miami is building equity with players, something they lost a long time ago. Free agents know they can come to Miami on a cheap year, perform and get a fair deal in FA. This had become a leverage team, now it can get guys in FA.

The Branch deal from 2016 to 2018 will be 3 years/19.7 million.

The Kiko deal from 2016 to 2018 will be 3 years/17 million.

The TJ deal is literally 2017 to 2018 and will be 2 years/7.7 million

All 3 deals are extended if play warrants it.

People worry too much about the cap.

Even a Landry deal will be structured this way. Never mind having him for peanuts for 4 years, no matter what u give him it will average around 6 million per season in the end. You gotta reward that, he is important to this team.

Dolphins gotta draft better. Last draft was brilliant in theory, hopefully the players work out. I will take a carbon copy of the focus on defense with a QB thrown in somewhere in the first half of it (don't think TE will be of any value) and a Day 3 RB.
I think TJ will be here all 4y of his contract, as it is really reasonable his deal.... he’ll be well underpaid by Y3.

In fairness, it is easy not to like the contract once it has been restructured and the contingency rollover was blown on Cutler.

Suh isn't the problem. And in all honesty, neither was the contract. He is an elite player and Miami has not shown where it can draft elite defense. You pay for quality and he has given you that. Many free agent busts have came and gone and you add that up you will realize the Suh deal is fine.

Again I take it back to 2013, when absolutely NOTHING worked out on defense from that year, draft and FA, the cupboard was just bare and it takes time to rebuild.

We are getting there, hopefully we still get a piece of "prime" Suh when it all comes together.

Thats the only thing I'm afraid of, wasting Suhs prime years on this sub par defense, I wanna see Suh play with an elite defense while he's still elite.

Show the hot head the door. Makes tons of catches but makes tons of mistakes. Takes stupid penalties and fumbles at costly times. No thanks. Bye

We'll see if the Dolphins are stupid or not.

Let's see if we lose another one of the rare players that we draft and actually pan out for us. Still haven't replaced Vernon.

Julio Jones is rare. Antonio Brown, Gronk, Odell Beckham, these guys are rare. Landry? He’s a mediocre slot receiver on a bad team, not a number one, too many penalties and boneheaded plays, too few touchdowns and third down conversions, and yac. Don’t overestimate or overpay this guy, he’s not that special...

Back
Top Bottom