Jarvis Landry won’t be taking a hometown discount to stay in Miami | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jarvis Landry won’t be taking a hometown discount to stay in Miami

Landry clearly wants to see what the open market will pay him. It's possible that he finds a suitor in a dumpster fire franchise like Cleveland or Chicago that is willing to pay him what he wants. It is possible he won't, and he'll have to come back to us hat in hand. I'm at the point of not caring one way or the other.

We probably finish this past season at 2-14 without Landry.

He caught the game winner against Tennessee to get our first win. Followed it the next week with late key TD in win over Atlanta. Then had TD in win over Jets and some late game 3rd down conversion to help the comeback. Then against New England 2 TD's to help us beat the Champs.

Don't know that he is worth what he is asking but those type plays will be hard to replace in the crunch.

On the flip side he lost a fumble early in the KC game that set the tone for a loss. Against TB he coughed one up right before halftime that turned into a TD for the Bucs and the difference in the game. Then the final game of the season getting kicked out of game and not being available on the final drive to win the game.

All in all he is a plus 1 in wins for us this past year in my reasoning. The rest of the games he simply did his job. Not sure you pay someone 1 million a game when he only move the win needle up 1 game per season.

Given the unfortunate way the team and Landry appear to be parting, I fully expect Landry to try and choose a team that allows him to really stick it to Miami, perhaps NYJ or NE. Could I see him taking less money just to spite the Phins? Ordinarily, no, but the worse this gets, the more I can see it. Because at a certain point, ego and retribution trumps even money.

He gave him a the hometown discount last year playing for pennies in his rookie contract. He easily could have held out and gotten paid

I always love this argument. When players aren't playing to their contracts then by this reasoning they should give some of that money back? Right?

Last edited:
I always love this argument. When players aren't playing to their contracts by this reasoning should they give some of the money back?

Beside that $700,000 is A LOT of pennies.......

This "negotiations" are no different than any other player and team in the NFL. People are making way too much of it. It's very simple to me. Landry wants as much as possible(I don't blame him) and the team wants him back for as little as possible(I don't blame them either). It seems to me the team is ready to move on and Landry will get his money from another team. It happens every year in the NFL so this is not a first. As much as I like Landry(I do at the right price) I believe that him leaving might be best for EVERYONE including him. He can go get his money and be happy about that and then team can move on from an offense that targets their slot WR 160 times a year and can't score 20 points a game. Landry needs a change and the Dolphins offense need a change too because what they've been doing has not been working.

Ozzy rules!!

It seems wrong to pay him what he wants. But it also seems wrong to dump two of our best drafted players in recent years. Plus, while he's not a guy you necessarily worry about going into a game Landry would be a major annoyance if he were on the opposite team, he's the guy making you scream 'TACKLE HIM!!!!' while he's shredding your defense for first downs over and over.

I always love this argument. When players aren't playing to their contracts by this reasoning should they give some of the money back?
I've said the same thing before. People make it look as if the team held a gun to his head to sign his rookie contract when in fact, that contract is pretty much part of the CBA which is in place to get the vets that have actually played 4 or more years their money while the rookies get their money pretty much guarantee and they don't need to hold out of camp. It has worked great and the players association have no problem with it but yet some fans here think that the team has to make it up to Landry.....smh

Ozzy rules!!

It seems wrong to pay him what he wants. But it also seems wrong to dump two of our best drafted players in recent years. Plus, while he's not a guy you necessarily worry about going into a game Landry would be a major annoyance if he were on the opposite team, he's the guy making you scream 'TACKLE HIM!!!!' while he's shredding your defense for first downs over and over.
Who's the 2nd guy you're talking about, Ajayi?

Ozzy rules!!

I am in a more of a "wait and see" mindset right now with this whole soap opera. Agents and players will play their games with the media and the team will be silent so everyone thinks the team doesn't care or isn't working on a deal. If it ends up that the team is not offering him what he thinks he is worth and he move on, c'est la vie. The team is probably working on a thousand different formulas right now to see how much money they will have available in cap space by either cutting guys, restructuring contracts or waving their magic wands so they can figure out what they need for signing free agents along with the draft picks.

And, for what it's worth and if I was the GM, I wouldn't give him $14 million a year. They can use that money a lot better than using it all on one guy. Perhaps the front office learned from their mistakes with previous free agent signings that are now biting them in the butt?

I understand him not giving the hometown discount....he did the right thing and didn't hold out, never complained, nothing...he played well, set records, and of course this team is gonna let him go....the way I see it, if were a few or even 5 million apart, cut branch, re structure wake, re structure kiko, cut thomas etc etc....teams overpay in free agency, thats just how it works...and to think they paid kiko branch thomas cutlet etc. and are being cheapskates on a proven player that is the heartbeat of this team

You do know what a contract is?
You sign it and you play for it.
Wait till he goes somewhere else in plays, he's going to find out about state and income tax real quick. That 14 million is going to go down to 10 1/2 million. But he can tell everyone he made 14.

Just watched all of Landry's Tds this year in the highlight thread. I can see how the Fins think they can replace his TD production. He was schemed wide open on at least 4 of his touchdowns and I'm being conservative. As for replace all those catches, spreading the targets might actually do wonders for this offense, expecially if they manage to get a decent TE working the seams...

I understand him not giving the hometown discount....he did the right thing and didn't hold out, never complained, nothing...he played well, set records, and of course this team is gonna let him go....the way I see it, if were a few or even 5 million apart, cut branch, re structure wake, re structure kiko, cut thomas etc etc....teams overpay in free agency, thats just how it works...and to think they paid kiko branch thomas cutlet etc. and are being cheapskates on a proven player that is the heartbeat of this team
They can't cut Branch. He'd cost more against the cap if he's cut than if he's omn the team. You can't do anything with Kiko either. They need to leave that horrib;e deal alone and cut him after next season. Over paying for Landry doesn't fix anything

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom