Jarvis Landry won’t be taking a hometown discount to stay in Miami | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jarvis Landry won’t be taking a hometown discount to stay in Miami

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact he won't be back... Oh well. He is a good player, but is franchise-defining? Not really... At least it looks like we would get a decent comp pick for him next year. And he will probably be out of the conference in SF or Chicago...

His attitude annoyed me at times this year. And honestly, maybe his leadership wasn't as good as I thought it was the past few years. I'd prefer to have him back, but I don't think it will be the end of the world if he's not.

That being said, he will probably have a pretty productive career with Jimmy G in SF if that is where he ends up.

He's gone! They are playing the same game they played with Stills only someone will overpay for juice. I just have a hard time with the fact that this FO will overpay Kiko Alonso and Andre Branch and immediately extend a guy with legal issues in TJ but won't pay market value (not Landry's fault) for Landry. At least Landry's production would more closely match his production than one cut and beat Kiko and no QB pressure Branch but what do I know. This regime rewards guys who do the right thing but are not good football players. Good luck, seems like a losing recipe to me.

Echoes what I said in another thread, that it sure seems like the writing was on the wall for Landry when the FO threw money around last year when it didn’t really need to and none of came Landry’s way.

Agree with that. Teams can cut bait. Players can walk. It's when emotions (Landry) get involved that reason leaves the room. A discount to stay in Florida is reasonable, but Landry seems to see 'respect' as the top line

To Landry's point, and this is full speculation, if the team you just bust your ass for over 4 seasons at less than 1 million per season is now undershooting your value when other teams on the market are there to give you market value . . . It certainly can be viewed as disrespect.

Where I don't agree with Jarvis is being overly emotional about it in public . . . Take the higher road and let negotiations take place . . . .but its clear after the smear attacks from Armando/the Herald he couldn't keep silent about his name being dragged out there so negatively.

All that said, this really ain't ****. Jarvis holds the cards to get paid and Miami holds the card to keep him a Dolphin.

Roughly 45 more days before the franchise tag deadline, it will be a bumpy ride the whole way.

is anyone seriously worried about this? if we don't get a deal done they will hit him with the Franchise Tag.

No, they get cut.

And truth is, had Miami approached this extension earlier they would of gotten a discount on a longterm deal.

That ship has sailed.

That's a damn lie! You look around the league at players like Kiko, Dez Bryant, Carson Palmer(retired), Oswelier, OV on and on and on and those guys haven't been cut yet. While their productions isn't anywhere near the salieres they are making. Most team just swallow those loses and hope the player steps up.

Rarely do they just cut a Dez Bryant like you're suggesting.

Last edited:
I dont get the use of bringing Alonso and Branch into this argument... Prior mistakes have nothing to do with how you give out current contracts, if anything, they should encourage you to be more careful going foward...

God damn, so glad someone finally said this! Can we stop using past mistakes as an excuse to make future ones?!

Echoes what I said in another thread, that it sure seems like the writing was on the wall for Landry when the FO threw money around last year when it didn’t really need to and none of came Landry’s way.

They threw around money to Branch and Stills, who were UFA.

Kiko and Reshad both lowered their cap numbers in 2017 wih their deals.

That would not of been the case with Jarvis.

The Dolphins like to restructure and keep available cap . . . .and truth be told there is nothing wrong with that . . . If u can keep it. Problem is their starting QB went down and Jay Cutler commanded 10 million out the blue . . .a decent bwckup would of gotten at least 5 . . . It just really zapped their leverage and damaged their cap.

That's a damn lie! You look around the league at players like Kiko, Dez Bryant, Carson Palmer(retired), Oswelier, OV on and on and on and those guys haven't been cut yet. While their productions isn't anywhere near the salieres they are making

And if OV doesn't have a good season this year he will miss out on that final 2 years/31 million.

Because Dez has **** for a QB he deserves to be cut and see nothing right?

Contracts only apply for the owners benefit in the NFL.

Meanwhile in baseball that fat overweight pitcher with the 7.25 ERA over the last 2 seasons is still going to see every dime of his money.

Like I said before, players need to get what they can get while the getting is good.

Well it doesn't get any clearer than that, Landry is not taking a hometown discount to play for the team that drafted him. To be honest with you I don't think Landry cares where he plays next season so long as he gets paid like a top 5 WR. To the hell with that man, let him go and some other team will probably pay him what he wants, I just hope it's not the Phins.

To Landry's point, and this is full speculation, if the team you just bust your *** for over 4 seasons at less than 1 million per season is now undershooting your value when other teams on the market are there to give you market value . . . It certainly can be viewed as disrespect.

Where I don't agree with Jarvis is being overly emotional about it in public . . . Take the higher road and let negotiations take place . . . .but its clear after the smear attacks from Armando/the Herald he couldn't keep silent about his name being dragged out there so negatively.

All that said, this really ain't ****. Jarvis holds the cards to get paid and Miami holds the card to keep him a Dolphin.

Roughly 45 more days before the franchise tag deadline, it will be a bumpy ride the whole way.

Completely agree with 'VIEWED as disrespect.' [emphasis mine] But there's a difference between viewing something as disrespect and actual disrespect. Landry's agent apparently DIDN'T tell him Miami pointing out negatives is part of negotiations. Apparently Landry doesn't know offering a lower amount isn't disrespect. ANY team he goes to will have a max amount. That's not disrespect, that's business. I hope he stays at a reasonable price or, failing that, gets his payday. But, at the risk of beating a dead horse, I think the atmospere was poisoned long ago.

Completely agree with 'VIEWED as disrespect.' [emphasis mine] But there's a difference between viewing something as disrespect and actual disrespect. Landry's agent apparently DIDN'T tell him Miami pointing out negatives is part of negotiations. Apparently Landry doesn't know offering a lower amount isn't disrespect. ANY team he goes to will have a max amount. That's not disrespect, that's business. I hope he stays at a reasonable price or, failing that, gets his payday. But, at the risk of beating a dead horse, I think the atmospere was poisoned long ago.
...and i agree with you, I also believe that the atmosphere was poisoned long ago, I don't think Gase will lose much sleep if he goes.

And if OV doesn't have a good season this year he will miss out on that final 2 years/31 million.

Because Dez has **** for a QB he deserves to be cut and see nothing right?

Contracts only apply for the owners benefit in the NFL.

Meanwhile in baseball that fat overweight pitcher with the 7.25 ERA over the last 2 seasons is still going to see every dime of his money.

Like I said before, players need to get what they can get while the getting is good.

Look I wasn't arguing that players shouldn't get all they can. It's a hard game that requires alot and i'm all for getting what you can get.

But when folks start mentioning players not getting paid "more" because they are out performing their contracts then you have to balance that out with what happens when they are underperforming?

Also, are you serious with that Dez comment? Please tell me your joking!

The guy is supposed to be a top #1 WR and i can't begin to count how much he's been shut down this season and how many plays he's failed to make over the pass couple of seasons.

Back
Top Bottom