Jarvis Landry won’t be taking a hometown discount to stay in Miami | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jarvis Landry won’t be taking a hometown discount to stay in Miami

Look I wasn't arguing that players shouldn't get all they can. It's a hard game that requires alot and i'm all for getting what you can get.

But when folks start mentioning players not getting paid "more" because they are out performing their contracts then you have to balance that out with what happens when they are underperforming?

Also, are you serious with that Dez comment? Please tell me your joking!

The guy is supposed to be a top #1 WR and i can't begin to count how much he's been shut down this season and how many plays he's failed to make over the pass couple of seasons.

I don't have an issue with how Miami handled Jarvis. It was their right not to extend him after last season despite him outperforming his deal.

But it should fall on deaf ears if Miami is trying to lowball him when he is about to become a UFA. If they "did" want a discount, last season was the year to get one. Jarvis in no way should give them one either . . Especially after leaky Davie is handing out stuff to smug beat writers about inside the lockerroom. That is some bush league bullshit tactics and does more to explain why this organization hasn't been to a conference championship game in 25 years.

Every other sport is littered with underperformed fully guaranteed deals and yet we are arguing about giving an extremely productive player a non fully guaranteed deal. **** cracks me up.

Tell Steve Ross to give Jarvis a 5 year/55 million "fully guaranteed deal" or a 5 year/70 million dollar deal with 30 million guaranteed.

I bet 14 AAV doesn't look so bad to him then.

P.s. Can't help you if you don't realize Dez is being held back by the QB.

Last edited:
I don't have an issue with how Miami handled Jarvis. It was their right not to extend him after last season despite him outperforming his deal.

But it should fall on deaf ears if Miami is trying to lowball him when he is about to become a UFA. If they "did" want a discount, last season was the year to get one. Jarvis in no way should give them one either . . Especially after leaky Davie is handing out stuff to smug beat writers about inside the lockerroom. That is some bush league bullshit tactics and does more to explain why this organization hasn't been to a conference championship game in 25 years.

Every other sport is littered with underperformed fully guaranteed deals and yet we are arguing about giving an extremely productive player a non fully guaranteed deal. **** cracks me up.

Tell Steve Ross to give Jarvis a 5 year/55 million "fully guaranteed deal" or a 5 year/70 million dollar deal with 30 million guaranteed.

Sorry I just got back to this thread and you beat me to saying Just about everything I wanted to respond with Sir thank you for that.

Juice deserves to get paid but I can't agree paying him more than 12 a year at the most. Cutler got Jarvis's money

Maybe Parker will wake up. Maybe Caroo will be a pleasant surprise instead of another of Trader Mike's cluster****s. Maybe we'll waste an early pick on a promising wideout that will outperform the 2nd rounder that TBum used for Stephen ****ing Hill. Maybe Maybe Maybe.

What I know is that Landry is one of the better receivers in the league. I know that he comes to play. I know that Tannehill has chemistry with him and his departure potentially spills over to our QB.

But most important, I would like for once to have the optimistic enthusiasm that whatever fanbase Landry ends up with in terms of what he can do for their QB instead of hopings and maybes. Felt the same way with the departure of Vernon and Miller.. and yes Matthews too. I'm envious already of Landry's new fans.. just like I envied the enthusiastic Philly fans when essentially they stole a leading RB for a bag of Fritos. I'd like to be on that side of the equation for a change.

$12 vs $15mil ? You may say it's too much; I say it's what the market will bear! And if we end up franchising Juice 2019 will be wor$e. And let's not forget that we wouldn't be in this squeeze if our Asshole In Chief wasn't so irresponsible with the Cap. Yes, history does repeat itself and that's why it took 2 GMs in NJ to dig out from the friggin mess TBum made.

We're letting a sure thing, a vital tool for our QB, a fan favorite and a position we will again be in need for a few $mil and a lot of betting on the come with fingers crossed. ****ing ponderous!

Considering Parker at this point isn't likely going to be more than what we've seen. That is, "a tease" that will likely never live up to what we expected. The team might as well keep Landry and pay him a portion of what Parker was going to command had he become a star.

I'll further add any type of offense that heavily features J.Landry, IMO isn't going anywhere. Landry skill set on a potent offense should be the 3rd, 4th option. If he's your #1 or #2 offensive option then that's a huge problem.

This is the 2018 salary ranking for WR.

1. Why would JL be considered for this lofty 14 mill avg?

2. I would postulate by reviewing the winning teams currently in the playoffs, that a high value WR is not a requirement, thus by definition the position while flashy is not critical to building a winning football team.

NFL Salary Rankings

Listing the top salaries, cap hits, cash, earnings, contracts, and bonuses, for all active NFL players.

2018 Wide Receiver Base Rankings

PLAYER
BASE

Mike Evans
WIDE RECEIVER $13,258,000
Dez Bryant
WIDE RECEIVER $12,500,000

DeAndre Hopkins
Larry Fitzgerald
WIDE RECEIVER $11,000,000

DeSean Jackson

T.Y. Hilton
A.J. Green
WIDE RECEIVER $10,550,000
Julio Jones
WIDE RECEIVER $10,500,000
Jordy Nelson
WIDE RECEIVER $9,250,000
Randall Cobb
WIDE RECEIVER $8,600,000
Demaryius Thomas
WIDE RECEIVER $8,500,000
Odell Beckham, Jr.
WIDE RECEIVER $8,459,000

Kelvin Benjamin
WIDE RECEIVER $8,459,000

Brandin Cooks
WIDE RECEIVER $8,459,000
Emmanuel Sanders
WIDE RECEIVER $8,250,000

Doug Baldwin
WIDE RECEIVER $8,250,000
Kenny Stills
WIDE RECEIVER $7,975,000
Antonio Brown
WIDE RECEIVER $7,875,000
Keenan Allen
WIDE RECEIVER $7,500,000
Golden Tate
WIDE RECEIVER $7,000,000

I would love to sign Randall Cobb as Landrys replacement if he gets released. i just think losing Landry will force us to spread the ball out more. A WR core of Stills, Cobb, Parker, Grant, and Carroo is a nice balance. Plus Cobb wouldn't effect our draft picks due to being released. We shall see if he will be but I think he might.

People don’t think he’s worth 14 or 15 - he will have more than one option for that kind of money. There are teams who will look at and value the entire package - receiver, runner, blocker, special teams etc. He’s easily worth the money and we’d be signing him to that kid of money without blinking had we not paid Branch and Kiko idiotic sums of money. He’s gone. End of story. Oh yeah, **** Mike Tannenbaum for his contract
negotiation (in)abilities.

This is the 2018 salary ranking for WR.

1. Why would JL be considered for this lofty 14 mill avg?

2. I would postulate by reviewing the winning teams currently in the playoffs, that a high value WR is not a requirement, thus by definition the position while flashy is not critical to building a winning football team.

NFL Salary Rankings

Listing the top salaries, cap hits, cash, earnings, contracts, and bonuses, for all active NFL players.

2018 Wide Receiver Base Rankings

PLAYER
BASE

Mike Evans
WIDE RECEIVER $13,258,000
Dez Bryant

DeAndre Hopkins
Larry Fitzgerald

DeSean Jackson

T.Y. Hilton
A.J. Green
WIDE RECEIVER $10,550,000
Julio Jones
WIDE RECEIVER $10,500,000
Jordy Nelson
WIDE RECEIVER $9,250,000
Randall Cobb
WIDE RECEIVER $8,600,000
Demaryius Thomas
WIDE RECEIVER $8,500,000
Odell Beckham, Jr.
WIDE RECEIVER $8,459,000

Kelvin Benjamin
WIDE RECEIVER $8,459,000

Brandin Cooks
WIDE RECEIVER $8,459,000
Emmanuel Sanders
WIDE RECEIVER $8,250,000

Doug Baldwin
WIDE RECEIVER $8,250,000
Kenny Stills
WIDE RECEIVER $7,975,000
Antonio Brown
WIDE RECEIVER $7,875,000
Keenan Allen
WIDE RECEIVER $7,500,000
Golden Tate
WIDE RECEIVER $7,000,000
What do their full deals look like - not just 2018.

I think at the very least we transition tag him to see what they have to match

At this point it's clear this FO is not going to bring him back. Maybe I would be more forgiving if I actually trusted the dumb dumbs running this team to make good decisions, but I don't. That 3 or 4 mil we're saving is just going to be spent on trash anyways, while Landry contributes to some other team.

My question is, does he value money or is he using that as an excuse and actually value winning? The Dolphins are offering him neither. I just hope he doesn't take a discount to go to a proven winner like... the Patriots. That would kill me.

If he stays he'll absolutely destroy Claytons team receptions leader stat. He'd probably close to double it. He may not be worth 14-16M but he's definitely worth more than 10. If you like Stills, Parker, Grant as our receiver corps then you must love 4-12, seeing Parker would be a bench player talent starting.
He’s good.

But not like Warfield, Duper, or Clayton.

He’s not 15 million good, and he may find that out for real in free agency.

I don’t even know that he’s 10 million good, even though he brings good stuff on game day.

You know what I think? I believe we have been so starved for both talent and intensity that when we by God finally got a guy with both, we reckon that he’s the end all. Not so.

The 10 million (tops) that we should give him could be applied at other needed positions. I can see 10, I guess. 15, and it’s sayonara Juice.

And Parker needs to un**** himself immediately, or what was supposed to be our strength will be a weakness.

I have no issues rolling with Stills, Parker, and Grant. And then using the 10 million on a few other guys that we damn sure could use.

At this point it's clear this FO is not going to bring him back. Maybe I would be more forgiving if I actually trusted the dumb dumbs running this team to make good decisions, but I don't. That 3 or 4 mil we're saving is just going to be spent on trash anyways, while Landry contributes to some other team.

My question is, does he value money or is he using that as an excuse and actually value winning? The Dolphins are offering him neither. I just hope he doesn't take a discount to go to a proven winner like... the Patriots. That would kill me.

Two points
1 -IT is not unreasonable to say Landry doesn' WANT back.
2 - IT seems to me Landry is above Miami's max. Not the same as 'not going to bring him back'

It's still not out of the question that they actually never intended to keep Landry, and that Carroo was drafted to replace him.

It's still not out of the question that they actually never intended to keep Landry, and that Carroo was drafted to replace him.
Don't buy it. Why trade valuable assets and draft Landry's replacement three years ahead of time? Could have easily not wasted picks and drafted an equivalent player to Carroo last year or 2018.

Ultimately I believe Gase will have the most say so on whether Landry stays or goes. Of course there is another issue at play here, Landry may not even want to be in Miami.

Back
Top Bottom