Jarvis Landry won’t be taking a hometown discount to stay in Miami | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jarvis Landry won’t be taking a hometown discount to stay in Miami

To Landry's point, and this is full speculation, if the team you just bust your *** for over 4 seasons at less than 1 million per season is now undershooting your value when other teams on the market are there to give you market value . . . It certainly can be viewed as disrespect.

Where I don't agree with Jarvis is being overly emotional about it in public . . . Take the higher road and let negotiations take place . . . .but its clear after the smear attacks from Armando/the Herald he couldn't keep silent about his name being dragged out there so negatively.

All that said, this really ain't ****. Jarvis holds the cards to get paid and Miami holds the card to keep him a Dolphin.

Roughly 45 more days before the franchise tag deadline, it will be a bumpy ride the whole way.
I see you arguing this point over and over. my question is, what is a fair market value for a slot receiver. Because at the end of the day, that's what it boils down to.

I see you arguing this point over and over. my question is, what is a fair market value for a slot receiver. Because at the end of the day, that's what it boils down to.

Ok, I will do a breakdown:

Doug Baldwin - signed a contract extension in 2016 for 4 years/46 million (11.5 AAV) at age 27. Mind you he still had another year left on his deal with a base of 4 million . . . .so he was in a position to give a discount as he was not a UFA like Jarvis.

Keenan Allen - signed a contract extension in 2016 for 4 years/45 million (11.25 AAV) at age 24. He also was on his rookie deal so was ina position to give a discount for more guaranteed money early. He missed half a season before signing so who knows what his earning potential could of been . . . . But had the Chargers waited, Keenan missed 15 games in 2016 and could of potentially had him even cheaper. His injury coukd of easily influenced Miami here in regards to Landry and not extending early

Tayvon Austin - signed a contract extension in 2016 for 4 years, 42 million (10.5 AAV) at age 24. The Rams had him for his 4th season and the 5th year option and yet got an extension done at this price.

So in 2016, top slot guys got around 11 million AAV. None of them were UFAs and th cap was 25 million less.

Every major outlet out ther considers Jarvis Landry a top 5 slot WR, many say he is top 3 and more often than not he is at the top of the list.

He is 25

He has played all 65 games he was eligible to play in.

He actually IS a unrestricted free agent unlike any other slot WR mentioned.

If you ask me, I think the market value for a player with these credentials . . . Is 14 million AAV, and honestly he can probably get more than that as he is the top dog on the market.

If you take Keenan Allen and Doug Baldwinn, make them 25 and UFAs and fully durable . . . They easily would get that as well. Looking at what they made 2 years ago while under contract is such a innaccurate way to look at the situation

People want to devalue Jarvis when slot receivers have become integral parts of an NFL offense.

Now maybe Miami feels it can manufacture production there from other options . . . . And there cap situation is not great so it may happen that we lose him.

But he ABSOLUTELY is not being greedy if 14 million AAV is what he is asking for.

The numbers talk to it, people just don't wanna hear it.

If people don't wanna pay it that is one view on it, but sitting up here saying only for 10 million I will take him back just isn't a reasonable view of the situation.

Ok, I will do a breakdown:

Doug Baldwin - signed a contract extension in 2016 for 4 years/46 million (11.5 AAV) at age 27. Mind you he still had another year left on his deal with a base of 4 million . . . .so he was in a position to give a discount as he was not a UFA like Jarvis.

Keenan Allen - signed a contract extension in 2016 for 4 years/45 million (11.25 AAV) at age 24. He also was on his rookie deal so was ina position to give a discount for more guaranteed money early. He missed half a season before signing so who knows what his earning potential could of been . . . . But had the Chargers waited, Keenan missed 15 games in 2016 and could of potentially had him even cheaper. His injury coukd of easily influenced Miami here in regards to Landry and not extending early

Tayvon Austin - signed a contract extension in 2016 for 4 years, 42 million (10.5 AAV) at age 24. The Rams had him for his 4th season and the 5th year option and yet got an extension done at this price.

So in 2016, top slot guys got around 11 million AAV. None of them were UFAs and th cap was 25 million less.

Every major outlet out ther considers Jarvis Landry a top 5 slot WR, many say he is top 3 and more often than not he is at the top of the list.

He is 25

He has played all 65 games he was eligible to play in.

He actually IS a unrestricted free agent unlike any other slot WR mentioned.

If you ask me, I think the market value for a player with these credentials . . . Is 14 million AAV, and honestly he can probably get more than that as he is the top dog on the market.

If you take Keenan Allen and Doug Baldwinn, make them 25 and UFAs and fully durable . . . They easily would get that as well. Looking at what they made 2 years ago while under contract is such a innaccurate way to look at the situation

People want to devalue Jarvis when slot receivers have become integral parts of an NFL offense.

Now maybe Miami feels it can manufacture production there from other options . . . . And there cap situation is not great so it may happen that we lose him.

But he ABSOLUTELY is not being greedy if 14 million AAV is what he is asking for.

The numbers talk to it, people just don't wanna hear it.

If people don't wanna pay it that is one view on it, but sitting up here saying only for 10 million I will take him back just isn't a reasonable view of the situation.
I'm not quite sure he understands the tax value in other markets. Let's say San Francisco picks him up at 14 million per, with state, income tax and agent, he will be earning roughly around 9 1/2 to 10,000,000. Maybe less.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure he understands the tax value in other markets. Let's say San Francisco picks him up at 14 million per, with state, income tax and agent, he will be earning roughly around 9 1/2 to 10,000,000. Maybe less.
That's actually a good point, do you think Landry or his agent has thought about that?

Overpaying for the heart and soul of the dolphins offense makes very much sense to me. And landry never had a true qb throwing him the ball......Watch when we draft a qb in the first round landry becomes one of the best if not the best receiver in football.

No, they get cut.

And truth is, had Miami approached this extension earlier they would of gotten a discount on a longterm deal.

That ship has sailed.

I doubt they would have gotten a discount ever. He wants to cash in. Good for him. Good bye.

Just watched all of Landry's Tds this year in the highlight thread. I can see how the Fins think they can replace his TD production. He was schemed wide open on at least 4 of his touchdowns and I'm being conservative. As for replace all those catches, spreading the targets might actually do wonders for this offense, expecially if they manage to get a decent TE working the seams...

He was a target of necessity. Some of his catches will be replaced by Drake. JTrain was never a good pass catcher. Get a decent TE and it reduces Landry's role dramatically. Landry is replaceable. He is not worth to get into yet another ridiculous contract we all will bitch about in a couple of years maybe even next year.

He is dumb as a doorknob. He probably hasn't finished reading the preseason playbook yet. And his attitude will hurt us more in the future. If he wants to cash in he better do it fast because the moment teams will realize what Miami knows (doesn't have the grasp of the entire playbook) his easy money making days will be over. He'll be ending up with Ginn's numbers one day: 3 years/11mill (3Mill guaranteed) and he will have to work hard for every penny.

No 25 year old getting their first FA contract should be expected to take a hometown discount.

Overpaying for the heart and soul of the dolphins offense makes very much sense to me. And landry never had a true qb throwing him the ball......Watch when we draft a qb in the first round landry becomes one of the best if not the best receiver in football.
I disagree. Once you have a fully functioning offense (with or without Tannehill) he will be a problem. He cannot grasp more complex offenses.

If he stays he'll absolutely destroy Claytons team receptions leader stat. He'd probably close to double it. He may not be worth 14-16M but he's definitely worth more than 10. If you like Stills, Parker, Grant as our receiver corps then you must love 4-12, seeing Parker would be a bench player talent starting.

If Parker gets ironed out, then Landry’s value drops considerably (to us). But that’s the bitch: Will Parker straighten out? If not, than yes, Landry is critical to a point.

I don’t understand the salary cap very well, and don’t really have a ton of interest delving into it. If there wasn’t one, hell yes we pay Landry. And it kinda is and isn’t his fault that he has not been extended.

I dunno. We currently have Landry but still aren’t very good. You’re probably right about the 4-12 record if we didn’t have him last year. But we do have Suh, and he’s staying. He got paid, brings effort, intensity, and a hell of a game every week.

And our D still isn’t very good. One guy can’t do it all, be it Suh or Landry.

So do we roll with one proven guy who is a hammer? Or do we use what would have been his money to sign several other players who may (or may not) really help out?

I’m glad it isn’t my call.

If we had reliable targets that could get open and or catch the ball don't you think Gase would be using them. All this replace Laundry discussion because we have other players that can replace because if that were true then your really throwing Gase under the bus as a coach to coach his players.

I understand the situation and its a tough call......Landry is the only one we see week in and week out playing with heart and passion. Parker frustrates me to no end. And Stills is a complimentary WR. We need to keep Landry for our offense to still be productive. I also understand that he is not a true #1 WR and causes a lot of penalties but I think some of that is on coaching and discipline. That being said, you don't get rid of your best player for those reasons. I don't blame Landry at this point because he feels like this organization hasn't appreciated everything he has done.....That being said, knowing our front office and knowing Gase, I doubt we see Landry play as a fin again.....On a side note, this is why I have not bought a Dolphins Jersey in years and a couple years ago I really wanted to get a Jarvis Landry jersey. Personalized jersey will have to do.

At 60 I'm afraid I'll be dead by the time Landry becomes the best
wide receiver in football

Back
Top Bottom