Ja'wuan James vs Brandin Cooks | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ja'wuan James vs Brandin Cooks

Who would you have drafted?

• Total voters
James & LANDRY > Cooks & late round tackle

And as far as having to, "pay a premium for speed", see Wallace. I'd rather have a WR not a track star (see Raiders).

Cooks will be special for New Orleans and Drew Brees will love him.

There is a reason some teams continue to win and contend and others flounder.

I like James...but the obvious right thing to do was draft a playmaker or trade down...period.

Any other spin on that is just BS and rationalization.

Trade down and draft James or Bitonio, the Landry and Billy Turner picks remain the same and we had an additional 3rd rounder that by staying put or moving up could have turned into any of the following:

Trai Turner
Chris Borland
Preston Brown
Tre Mason
Terrence West
Sidney Moncrief
Gabe Jackson
Louis Nix
Brandon Thomas

etc etc..............

It would have been nice to double down on the guard position.

I like James...but the obvious right thing to do was draft a playmaker or trade down...period.

Except we got our NFL pass protection ready RT and a premier play-maker in Landry. That much is obvious, not BS or rationalization.

Four of the Ravens' first eight picks were compensatory selections that couldn't be traded, making it difficult to maneuver. It was an elusive pursuit for the Ravens, who acknowledged before the draft that right tackle was one of their greatest needs.

"You are correct," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "The way the board was stacked, you could see that three or four went right away at the top of the first round. So, it wasn't stacked very well in that case. We were not going to just reach down and just take a player at the tackle position."

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...12-20140511,0,6317789.story#ixzz32RqjQtg6Four of the Ravens' first eight picks were compensatory selections that couldn't be traded, making it difficult to maneuver. It was an elusive pursuit for the Ravens, who acknowledged before the draft that right tackle was one of their greatest needs.
"You are correct," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "The way the board was stacked, you could see that three or four went right away at the top of the first round. So, it wasn't stacked very well in that case. We were not going to just reach down and just take a player at the tackle position."

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...t-0512-20140511,0,6317789.story#ixzz32RqjQtg6

We will see how that works out for them....last season they didn't address the position and had to make a mid season trade....

Except we got our NFL pass protection ready RT and a premier play-maker in Landry. That much is obvious, not BS or rationalization.

You make my point...you just rationalized reaching at least 10 to 15 picks too early when a trade moving you down 7 or 8 spots was sitting there....that is what is obvious.

Your eval. of James as NFL ready is not obvious...it is speculation.

Look, I like James...like most I saw him going in the second round.

Some teams maximize the opportunities and value...others don't.

The Brandon Marshal & Wes Welker trades are perfect examples of how this organization squandered talent and value.

The James panic pick reminds me of the Vernon Carey panic pick.

You make my point...you just rationalized reaching at least 10 to 15 picks too early when a trade moving you down 7 or 8 spots was sitting there....that is what is obvious.

The Brandon Marshal & Wes Welker trades are perfect examples of how this organization squandered talent and value.

You cant have it both ways.
You cant say that Brandon Cooks being a star is nothing but your speculation.

You act like the Saints are big winners because the know something we don't about drafting. That is BS. They are big winners because they have Drew Brees. Remember you are talking about a team that gave up a first round pick to select Mark Ingram.

Also comparing our situation to Baltimores is disingenuous as well since they had the option of Moseley which would have been a very difficult choice for us.

It's not my evaluation. Check just about any scouting report on James and you'll find a plug n play RT with NFL ready pass protection skills. And all of it is speculation with every rookie.

I'll take an 8 year starter, 9 season career tackle any day.

Ozzie Newsomes track record speaks for itself........

Before or after 2009?

Tony Mandarich was a number one overall pick....was he a lock or a plug and play player?

There are no guarantees anybody will translate their college success to the NFL...and JuWan James is no LOCK to start 9 years at right tackle in the NFL at all...much less at a pro bowl level.

The point here is based upon player evaluations...universally JuWan James was not considered in the top tier of tackles in this draft and Martin was the last of that group to go before our pick.

There were HIGHER rated players than JuWan James on the board...players considered playmakers that we passed on to take the lower rated James....that is a reach.

Trust me...I hope James works out, I am a 44 year Dolphin fan.

The point here is....if James turns out to be a bust and playmakers that were passed on become great NFL players it is another example of the Dolphins passing on better players to fill a need. And it will doom this regime and Hickey's career as a GM.

To argue against these facts is true cognitive dissonance and pure rationalization of our teams pick in order to feel better about it at days end.

Again, I like James...just not at pick 19 of round 1.

When Welker left I don't think anyone saw his potential. Not quite the same a the Marshall deal.

Well...I would hope our leadership...coaching, GM etc etc etc........would have the talent to recognize.

I remember many....I mean many on this board that were upset at Welker leaving this team.

We'll see what happens. I like Jarvis Landry but I'm just not convinced he's going to be the kind of top tier receiver the Dolphins need to finally acquire.

My biggest complaint about Ja'Wuan James is that I still believe we could have traded back even just 2-3 spots and still drafted him. But I realize that *is* the kind of petty, armchair GM type of complaint that I probably shouldn't make in the first place.

I believe Brandin Cooks was the best player available when Miami picked at #19. I also think Carlos Hyde was the best player available in round 2 when the Dolphins traded back a few times.

I would have loved to have drafted those two 1-2. The team could still have traded up for Turner, but he would likely have to play RT rather than a guard spot. I think Miami could have found a guard in the 4th or 5th maybe Yankey or Dozier. I think Dozier might be a better fit as Yankey is more of a short area guy.

So maybe the Dolphins draft looks more like this:
1. Cooks WR
2. Hyde RB (with one trade down instead of two)
3. Turner OT/OG
4. Dozier OG
5. Tripp LB
6. Hazel WR
7. Fede DE or Anthonio "Tiny" Richardson OT

Would cooks have been a good RT? I have my doubts

Back
Top Bottom