Jay ajayi......."get on the jay train" | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jay ajayi......."get on the jay train"

Im not really seeing much with this pick. I know a lot of board members here love this guy, but I dont think he belongs with the top backs of this draft even without the injury. I dont think he will be able to turn everything outside in the NFL. This is another player I think wont be very productive, but I want to be wrong really bad.

I really hope Philbin and Hickey understand how good this kid is/could be at the Screen and Trap game.

Im not really seeing much with this pick. I know a lot of board members here love this guy, but I dont think he belongs with the top backs of this draft even without the injury. I dont think he will be able to turn everything outside in the NFL. This is another player I think wont be very productive, but I want to be wrong really bad.

You will be.

Does anyone else have a problem with his 5.0 ypc? That seems like a super low number for a college back. I love him as a 3rd down guy because he really excels catching the football. I dont like him in short yardage as much as others. Miller right now is much better than he is. Again, if my assessment is way off then I will live with it because we will be a much better team having two very good backs.

Does anyone else have a problem with his 5.0 ypc?

College Career Rushing Average:

Jay Ajayi: 5.6 yds/carry.

Lamar Miller: 5.7 yds/carry.

Frank Gore: 5.7 yds/carry.

Adrian Peterson: 5.4 yds/carry.

LeSean McCoy: 4.8 yds/carry.

DeMarco Murray: 4.9 yds/carry.

Arian Foster: 4.6 yds/carry.

Le'Veon Bell: 5.0 yds/carry.

Alfred Morris: 4.8 yds/carry.

Chris Johnson: 4.8 yds/carry.

For most running backs, yds/carry will be heavily influenced by line blocking, whether the passing game stretched out the defense, etc.

So no, I don't have a problem with Jay Ajayi's 5.6 yds/carry.

College Career Rushing Average:

Jay Ajayi: 5.6 yds/carry.

Lamar Miller: 5.7 yds/carry.

Frank Gore: 5.7 yds/carry.

Adrian Peterson: 5.4 yds/carry.

LeSean McCoy: 4.8 yds/carry.

DeMarco Murray: 4.9 yds/carry.

Arian Foster: 4.6 yds/carry.

Le'Veon Bell: 5.0 yds/carry.

Alfred Morris: 4.8 yds/carry.

Chris Johnson: 4.8 yds/carry.

For most running backs, yds/carry will be heavily influenced by line blocking, whether the passing game stretched out the defense, etc.

So no, I don't have a problem with Jay Ajayi's 5.6 yds/carry.

Are the ypc for the nfl runners what they did in college or the pros?

car yds avg long
18 39 2.2 9 uconn
17 63 3.7 15 air force
22 70 3.2 10 fresno st

I cant argue with the numbers you put up Normaldude. Those are good backs you listed. It seems that the top backs in this years draft have ridiculous yards per carry compared to him though

I cant argue with the numbers you put up Normaldude. Those are good backs you listed. It seems that the top backs in this years draft have ridiculous yards per carry compared to him though

I don't think you can read too much into a raw college rushing yds/carry number.

I mean, LaMichael James averaged 6.6 yds/carry in college, and he's barely holding onto a roster spot in Miami.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/lamichael-james-1.html

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jay-ajayi-vs-fresno-state-2012/
at the 1:00 minute mark of the video to 1:35 there are 3 runs that top prospects do not make often. The Boise St Rb seems to make a routine of it in his game film.

---------- Post added at 04:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 AM ----------

I don't think you can read too much into a raw college rushing yds/carry number.

I mean, LaMichael James averaged 6.6 yds/carry in college, and he's barely holding onto a roster spot in Miami.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/lamichael-james-1.html

You are right about that. I did make too big a deal about the ypc. I thought it was 5.0 this year when it was actually 5.3 ypc. either way it doesnt matter too much.

Fully agree. I know it was a 5th rounder, but there were better fits for us out there. Ajayi is a nice receiving option, but he lacks burst, he hasn't great vision between the tackles, runs too high and is an awful pass protector. What he excels at won't be available to him half as much in the pros as it was in college.

I'm hoping for development from him, but he's not the kind of guy we needed to complement Miller. He's kind of a poor man's Miller in a slightly bigger frame.

I'd have taken David Cobb with our 4th or Josh Robinson with one of our fifths. They are much better inside and short yardage runners, which we don't have on the roster. Both of those guys have the power and tenacity to make extra yards up the middle when they have no right to. Both can break out long runs, both can pass protect better than Ajayi and both are OK receiving options.

I'm not that wild about a lot of our draft picks, having sat back and thought about it. I don't hate it, but I would have looked for several different players. The one pick I really don't like is Jamil Douglas. He might turn into a decent guard, but he's no help to us this season. Totally underpowered, doesn't have a good punch, lucky to achieve stalemate against decent college d-linemen. He has the body (minus the knees - braces on both), has good footwork and pulls very well, average awareness. It's kind of a Jon Martin redux pick, in terms of on-field produciton. I'm sure his character is a lot different to Martin's , but this is a pat-a-cake guard project for 2016 or 2017, imo. Look forward to being proven wrong.

Fully agree. I know it was a 5th rounder, but there were better fits for us out there. Ajayi is a nice receiving option, but he lacks burst, he hasn't great vision between the tackles, runs too high and is an awful pass protector. What he excels at won't be available to him half as much in the pros as it was in college.

I'm hoping for development from him, but he's not the kind of guy we needed to complement Miller. He's kind of a poor man's Miller in a slightly bigger frame.

I'd have taken David Cobb with our 4th or Josh Robinson with one of our fifths. They are much better inside and short yardage runners, which we don't have on the roster. Both of those guys have the power and tenacity to make extra yards up the middle when they have no right to. Both can break out long runs, both can pass protect better than Ajayi and both are OK receiving options.

I'm not that wild about a lot of our draft picks, having sat back and thought about it. I don't hate it, but I would have looked for several different players. The one pick I really don't like is Jamil Douglas. He might turn into a decent guard, but he's no help to us this season. Totally underpowered, doesn't have a good punch, lucky to achieve stalemate against decent college d-linemen. He has the body (minus the knees - braces on both), has good footwork and pulls very well, average awareness. It's kind of a Jon Martin redux pick, in terms of on-field produciton. I'm sure his character is a lot different to Martin's , but this is a pat-a-cake guard project for 2016 or 2017, imo. Look forward to being proven wrong.

I couldn't disagree more...on every count.

Best Dolphin draft in memory.

Nearly every area needed was addressed and nicely.

Jamil Douglas held his own against drafts best player....Leonard Williams.....was all-pac 12 with a lot of starts under his belt......he will likely be our left guard.

Finally got the no. 1 receiver we've lacked...got a middle clogging stud to stop the run and free up Suh to wreak havoc.

I think your totally wrong about Ajayi...he was my 3rd rated back easily.

We were lucky enough to have 3 interesting Mike linebackers sign with us.

I love the secondary picks as well....and I think Lippett will help this team.

Douglas only had 2 one on one game snaps vs leonard willams...the first he anchored well vs the bull rush the second he fell off after engaging and luckily the qb got the ball out on a timing route...thats the extent of it

A few inside outside stunts he picked up williams showing good awareness on as he looped around...overall they barely saw eachother...and douglas had issues vs lateral quickness repeatedly on the edge dropping his head and not moving his feet vs other usc defenders

That usc tape is not a feather in douglas cap

guys.. .they are college numbers... different offensive schemes, playing against different defenses that who knows how well scouted, prepared, blocked, etc.... who knows situations... they are jsut numbers, cant take them to heart. gotta see the film... thats what shows ability a person has or brings to the table, or even can work with and develop more!!!

number wise, he will compare fine to others in the NFL... many big numbered RBs out of college are complete busts in the NFL, becuase they didnt bring great overall ability that could be seen in the film. its the same type of thing of High Schoolers going into college... gotta see the film!!!

Back
Top Bottom