Jeff Fisher, the next head coach of the Dolphins? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jeff Fisher, the next head coach of the Dolphins?

You could do a lot worse than Fisher, even though I still say he is essentially the same guy as Sparano.

But one thing that many people don't discuss s that he is on the competition committee. This will give us some advantage that many said we had with Shula. The refs tend to favor the guys on the competition committee.

Same guy as Sparano? Fisher is a upper echelon head coach. Sparano is a mediocre assistant. No comparison

Although several times I've already referenced a dream I had a month or 2 ago (it's an involuntary dream I have no control over and generally rarely recall any of them!) I did see Fisher coaching us on the sidelines and Landry Jones under center. Neither are my picks so don't get your bowels in an uproar, but it would be certifiably eerie if both of these ocurred!

While awake though, I'm thinking more and more that it'll be Billick and warming to that idea. I'd be more than happy with Weeden also.
If your dream of Landry Jones comes to fruition, I will implore you not to sleep again my blue ant eating friend. :chuckle:

Same guy as Sparano? Fisher is a upper echelon head coach. Sparano is a mediocre assistant. No comparison

Fisher is what Sparano would be if he got more time...

Look at the start of their HC careers. Startlingly similar. Also, they both have the same style of coaching. They are both motivational guys who delegate play-calling duties to their assistants. They are only as good as their assistants. They don't have any play-calling expertise (ala Bellichick) that allow them to take over games.

You could do a lot worse than Fisher, even though I still say he is essentially the same guy as Sparano.

But one thing that many people don't discuss s that he is on the competition committee. This will give us some advantage that many said we had with Shula. The refs tend to favor the guys on the competition committee.

I don't think that's a far comparison to either guy. Fisher a more established coach in the league whereas Sparano won't be getting another HC job.

Look at the start of their HC careers. Startlingly similar. Also, they both have the same style of coaching. They are both motivational guys who delegate play-calling duties to their assistants. They are only as good as their assistants. They don't have any play-calling expertise (ala Bellichick) that allow them to take over games.

No way to know

I wonder how flexible Fisher would be on the 4-3. He has been married to it, I believe.

4-3 might be the best bet long term

We have a lot of money and high draft picks invested in our 3-4 but it's still only an average unit. 4-3 would be easier to get players for without being tied into having to overpay for a NT

Just curious, has a previously fired HC ever gone on to win deep into the playoffs consistently with a new team?

i certainly wouldnt mind fisher at all. i think he is a VASTLY under rated coach who did a lot with a lot of mediocre players and had to over come a LOT of players injuries and goofy draft picks by his front office.

but my problem with him is he is a DIE HARD defensive coach and we are in a MAJOR transformation to an offense nfl. its a BIG TIME passing leauge now and 5,000 yds by a qb with 40 td's will be a yawn in 2 years.

i want an offensive minded coach, expecially if NOLAN is staying, one who is a student of the west coast or air coryell offense systems. [still the two most productive systems in the game].

billick is a product and student of the west coast and LOVES the passing game. throw in his productive working relationship with nolan and we have the makings of a cohesive, productive, experianced staff.

fisher and ireland? i dont see it as he just got out of a long term bad, meddlesome relationship with his former gm and i dont see him taking a chance on clicking with ireland, who has a bad rep already around the leauge. why would he want to?

but, this is the ross era and who knows. if its fisher, it will all depend on who the offensive coordinator is and if fisher will let go of his "play defense and run the ball" archaic philosophy we have had to endure here for the last 15 years and he will give his coach free reign to run his scheme.

as usual, it should be interesting.

Not sure that fisher is the answer but the guy brings a ton of credibility and class to the organization. He is not going to shout out like Rex Miami will win the SB. This would be surprising in that he is not a flashy hire that will fill seats. He is a safe credibile hire which i wouldn't expect from Ross. I do however believe Ross has spoken to those candidates not coaching now and has a good idea of where they stand. IF Gruden and Cowher are really not coming back then it would be tough to argue with getting Fisher. The only assistant we have worth keeping would be Nolan so that would be an interesting scenario although i thought Nolan's D had alot of rough moments like the 2nd half of the NE game.

4-3 might be the best bet long term

We have a lot of money and high draft picks invested in our 3-4 but it's still only an average unit. 4-3 would be easier to get players for without being tied into having to overpay for a NT

Totally agree here which is why BB might have decided to make a switch. We cold easily move to a 4-3. If we stay a 3-4 we need to pony up for a NT and OLB as well as pay Wake big time as a 3-4 OLB. That's alot of cash!

In 1983, his leg was broken on a punt return when he was tackled by a Philadelphia Eagles linebacker...that linebackers name? Bill Cowher. Seems funny, looking back...

Living in Tennessee, I've watched a lot of Titans games, and always liked Fisher. Vince Young killed Fisher's relationship with the owner, and left him a lame duck. Hopefully Ross would never pull something like that on Fisher. I'd be fine with Fisher as our coach. He's got over 16 seasons experience, and will just turn 54 in February, so he's got plenty of years left in him. OK, a 5-6 playoff record is a "losing" record, but that's a lot more playoff games than the Fins have been in over the same period!

Hmm dont remember Fisher having three straight losing seasons although Fisher doesnt excite me either

Back
Top Bottom