Jonathan Martin Is Not An NFL Starting Caliber OT | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jonathan Martin Is Not An NFL Starting Caliber OT

I just want him to hit the gym this coming season. We need him to be stronger than he's ever been.

I thought he did alright relative to expectations. I know with rookies being more successful than ever it's reasonable to expect more out of him, but I'm not feeling too bad about the pick right now. I was jealous of what I saw from Kelechi Osemele in the Super Bowl, though.

IIRC, Martin came out as a junior and just needs to get stronger. I like his potential.

Considering ALL reports prior to us drafting Martin said he needed to bulk up, work on his strength, and technique means we were expecting him to take time to develop. A lot higher rated Olinmen that were taken before him have done worse than he has, and although I dont have numbers I do know he still has time to get it together. Is he going to be the next Jake Long? No! But we dont need him to be Jake Long good, we just need him to hold his own, we dont need all probowlers across the Oline.

Yes, because JM came in and was not a unanimous all star then he must be a bust?

Martin does need to improve. However, given this coaching staff and that kids from Stanford are quite sharp then I will hold reservation on Martin's career outlook for awhile.

There is more pressure IMO on Bob Griffin just maintain playing at a high level than there is for Martin to improve.

Man the manure is deep on this site.

Struggled a little you say???????

Oh he'll get it together?????

And then you accuse me of being subjective.

Fact is he finished the year ranked in the seventies amongst NFL tackles. That means several backup OT's who saw significant playing time played better than him.

If he had finished anywhere in the top 64 I'd be inclined to share some optimism, but he didn't. Martin is just plain awful. He can't pass protect on the outside and he isn't a powerful run blocker.

Best case scenario IMO is that he is moved to OG and eventually get's stronger.

I used to post the same kind of realistic posts about Chad Henne and I got the same kind of absurd reactions.

I'm not anti team. I'm just saying that all the confidence being displayed on this site is really unfounded.

The Dolphins are anything but set at OT. This team may need to add 3 OT's this offseason if it actually wants to be solid at the position.

Yeatman,Adams, and McDonald are all late round or undraffted guys who are untested.

The Dolphins might not have any starting caliber or even backup caliber OT's on their roster, although I like Jeff Adams' potential.

The situation is pathetic.

I saw that nobody was able to offer any suggestions on what make the situation better.

Cowards!

You really expect anyone to take you seriously when you insult anyone with an opinion on these boards??? You're digging your own grave as far as your credibility is concerned. Com'on now.

Not everyone is going to agree with you here...that's just the nature of a site with tens of thousands of members.No need to insult the members' intelligence and then call them cowards when they happen to disagree with you.

I was really getting on the Martin bandwagon until that Patriots game at the end there. He got embarrassed and Miami really had no chance to do anything on offense because of the pressure he was giving up on almost every play. He's just so easy to bull-rush and his foot-quickness offers nothing when there's just zero leverage he can use.
When you're watching the draft and they start going '+/- on every player and every negative against Martin that was highlighted was what we saw from him this year. I really am far from convinced that he is an NFL player. It's not just size, either. Smaller players have become much better players than what he showed.
If he is a tackle for us next year, we will not eclipse 7 wins no matter what else we do this offseason.

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

Also, that game against the Colts was really where the bottom dropped out on our season, and his play in the game went a long way towards facilitating our failure.

You really expect anyone to take you seriously when you insult anyone with an opinion on these boards??? You're digging your own grave as far as your credibility is concerned. Com'on now.

Not everyone is going to agree with you here...that's just the nature of a site with tens of thousands of members.No need to insult the members' intelligence and then call them cowards when they happen to disagree with you.

I didn't call anyone a coward for disagreeing. Far from it. I called everyone a coward for not offering an answer for what could be done about improving the Dolphins OT situation which is what the thread was supposed to be about.

I'm fine with getting bashed. It happened with Ronnie Brown, Chad Henne, and Kaepernick for two years on the draft forum. In the end, I'm always right and nobody ever apologies for their bashing when reality plays out.

The ironic thing is that I get obvious personal attacks and I'm the one the mods warn about being pugnacious when I never attack anyone personally.

I used the words cowards, because no stepped up and actually offered a solution to the OT problem other than Martin needs to lift more weights.

As far as my credibility shouldn't it be based on content, rather than style?

If I'm wrong about Martin I'll admit it. I was wrong to support the drafting of Pat White and I openly admitted it. I didn't want him in the 2nd round but, whatever.

Perhaps you should dispense with premature and emphatic statements and actually study NFL history. Your idiotic post suggests that no rookie in NFL history has ever been able to develop his game. Your post suggests that what a player does his rookie yr, reflects the rest of his career. Drew Brees would probably disagree with you, because he looked completely clueless his rookie yr.
Posts, you mean. 99% of the OPs posts are thus bad.

You know who else was probably rated horribly his rookie season; Paul Solai. And he just pissed on your logic.

Players develop. It happens all the time.

Fact is he finished the year ranked in the seventies amongst NFL tackles. That means several backup OT's who saw significant playing time played better than him.

If he had finished anywhere in the top 64 I'd be inclined to share some optimism, but he didn't. Martin is just plain awful. He can't pass protect on the outside and he isn't a powerful run blocker.

I used to post the same kind of realistic posts about Chad Henne and I got the same kind of absurd reactions.

I'm not anti team. I'm just saying that all the confidence being displayed on this site is really unfounded.

The Dolphins are anything but set at OT. This team may need to add 3 OT's this offseason if it actually wants to be solid at the position.

Yeatman,Adams, and McDonald are all late round or undraffted guys who are untested.

The Dolphins might not have any starting caliber or even backup caliber OT's on their roster, although I like Jeff Adams' potential.

I saw that nobody was able to offer any suggestions on what make the situation better.

Cowards!

BRO !!!!!!! Martin was only a junior , he came out really 2 years early , and he played 2 diff poss in the NFL , LT and RT , imo Martin WILL BECOME A VERY VERY GOOD OT in the NFL and not if , but when he dose , he will atleast be a top 15 , if not top 10 OT in the NFL. BECAUSE from what i saw from Martin there where just a few players that he couldnt handle , and he was a junior ? come on bro .

Cowards!

Your 'ranking' is based on a subjective opinion from a website. Some of us watch the games and recognize he was a rookie who had to learn a new position for the bulk of the year.

Martin will give you everything he has. Feet aren't terrible. Obviously a smart guy.

But on the NFL level he looks like a 7-9 player. That's the inescapable conclusion. Loses balance frequently. Not naturally strong. Handful of truly disastrous plays when he steps up in class. His college coach wasn't effusive in praise.

The idea was to trend in the other direction, to finally sprinkle the roster with great players here or there. Martin seems like more of the same.

Back
Top Bottom