Jonathan Martin Is Not An NFL Starting Caliber OT | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jonathan Martin Is Not An NFL Starting Caliber OT

Martin will give you everything he has. Feet aren't terrible. Obviously a smart guy.

But on the NFL level he looks like a 7-9 player. That's the inescapable conclusion. Loses balance frequently. Not naturally strong. Handful of truly disastrous plays when he steps up in class. His college coach wasn't effusive in praise.

The idea was to trend in the other direction, to finally sprinkle the roster with great players here or there. Martin seems like more of the same.

LOL @ this logic.

Give up after a rookie season.

Pathetic.

Elliott, shutup.

Warn me IDGAF!

We need to give this kid some time to turn his boyish body to an NFL starting lineman. He is definitely soft around the edges but give him an off season of NFL conditioning and he could turn into a stud right before our eyes. The footwork and mechanics are there. He just lacks upper body strength which could be improved upon with good weight training.

A- Martin was a rookie who held his own according to my eye ball test..dating back to Stanford.

B- He has the frame.

C- He certainly has the brains.

D- Ireland might have issues identifying and pulling the trigger for playmakers at skill positions, but i more than trust his eye for big men.

A- Martin was a rookie who held his own according to my eye ball test..dating back to Stanford.

Held his own? He's supposed to hold the DE/OLB in check, which he did about half the time. That's pretty poor blocking imo. Sure, he's a rookie, but even if he improved where does that put him? Even if he cut his QB hurries in half next year, he'd still be ranked close to the bottom of NFL OTs. I have faith in the guy, but I dont understand how anyone could think the play during his rookie year was acceptable.

A rookie that switched midseason from right to left tackle he did a fine job!

I think Martin will take that next step. He is a smart kid and, supposedly, a hard worker. To start all 16 games as a rookie is an accomplishment even if he play was a little uneven. I think he'll get better.

Perhaps you should dispense with premature and emphatic statements and actually study NFL history. Your idiotic post suggests that no rookie in NFL history has ever been able to develop his game. Your post suggests that what a player does his rookie yr, reflects the rest of his career. Drew Brees would probably disagree with you, because he looked completely clueless his rookie yr.
I think Brees looked clueless for about 2 years!

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/04/rookie-recap-afc-east/

and he may very well never be one.

Sorry, but this just plain fact. Not only did he grade out poorly he actually led the league in QB hurries given up.

There is a good chance that he will be a total bust.

People on this sight need to get in touch with reality and stop penciling him in as a reliable starter.

It is far more likely the Dolphins need starters at both tackle positions because Jerry isn't the answer at OT and Garner is worse than Martin on the outside.

People should stop thinking the Dolphins are going to spend 20 mil in cap on WR's and use the #12 pick on WR's as well.

Is there anybody out there in touch with reality who has an answer for the 2013 Dolphins OT positions???????????
I'm still high on him developing. I mean, he got on the field for 16 games. I do not like him at LT though and yes, I do want big Jake brought back.

It'll be Martin's third year before he really kicks on, but I'm betting he will be a very good tackle for us. Not sure even if he will be a left or right tackle, but he will be fine.

You know who else was probably rated horribly his rookie season; Paul Solai. And he just pissed on your logic.

Players develop. It happens all the time.

For every player that develops into a Saul Solai there are dozens that simply bust out. I still have hopes for Martin but other than saying he has potential which lets face it when it comes to evaluation of talent might as well be a four letter word I have nothing good to say. He looked over matched and out of his element more than he looked good last year which is why i'm on the lets resign long band wagon.

For every player that develops into a Saul Solai there are dozens that simply bust out. I still have hopes for Martin but other than saying he has potential which lets face it when it comes to evaluation of talent might as well be a four letter word I have nothing good to say. He looked over matched and out of his element more than he looked good last year which is why i'm on the lets resign long band wagon.
I'm completely disappointed by this lack of ANY patience for any player to develop. We can't just knee jerk everytime a player has a so-so rookie season, anymore than we should knee jerk about a great rookie season. Can we at least wait til 8 games into the second season before we try to determine a players ceiling?

Back
Top Bottom