Jonathan Martin Is Not An NFL Starting Caliber OT | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jonathan Martin Is Not An NFL Starting Caliber OT

I'm completely disappointed by this lack of ANY patience for any player to develop. We can't just knee jerk everytime a player has a so-so rookie season, anymore than we should knee jerk about a great rookie season. Can we at least wait til 8 games into the second season before we try to determine a players ceiling?

I never said we should cut him or give up on him.

You didn't. No, but there is clearly a segment here who already has.

I just think we need to be smart about it. Loyalty is a great virtue and I will forever root for any and all members of our team. I just think we need to be smart about it and not bank our entire season on a developing player who has yet to prove if he belongs yet. Just my 2 Cents worth tho =)

I just think we need to be smart about it. Loyalty is a great virtue and I will forever root for any and all members of our team. I just think we need to be smart about it and not bank our entire season on a developing player who has yet to prove if he belongs yet. Just my 2 Cents worth tho =)
I don't think we should bank on Jake long of 2013 being better than martin in 2013 either, esp when money is a consideration. So what's your choices? FA right tackle or one of the other guys stepping up. Finally, as has been proven in numerous threads, our money and skill is all ****ed up in the distribution, these days its about big plays and chunk yardage. thats not something you're going to get by investing all your money in the line and peanuts in the skill positions. Which is exactly what this team has been doing in the past.

I don't think we should bank on Jake long of 2013 being better than martin in 2013 either, esp when money is a consideration. So what's your choices? FA right tackle or one of the other guys stepping up. Finally, as has been proven in numerous threads, our money and skill is all ****ed up in the distribution, these days its about big plays and chunk yardage. thats not something you're going to get by investing all your money in the line and peanuts in the skill positions. Which is exactly what this team has been doing in the past.

In this reply to one of my earlier post you expressed your frustration for for peoples lack of patience with an unproven player.

I'm completely disappointed by this lack of ANY patience for any player to develop. We can't just knee jerk everytime a player has a so-so rookie season, anymore than we should knee jerk about a great rookie season. Can we at least wait til 8 games into the second season before we try to determine a players ceiling?

Well I share the same frustration for peoples lack of patience for a player who is proven but had a down year. Sign Long is my answer.

In this reply to one of my earlier post you expressed your frustration for for peoples lack of patience with an unproven player.

Well I share the same frustration for peoples lack of patience for a player who is proven but had a down year. Sign Long is my answer.
patience is one thing, but it's been two years of injuries, (well three if you count the injuried plagued 3rd season too.) and I wouldn't expect people to have over 3 years patiece with a rookie, nor would I expect to have more than 3 years patience with a player who has now proven injuries are the norm and not the exception. I also don't pay long 10 million when he's not the guy who is going to score touchdowns for us.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5810876

Miami Dolphins Pro Bowl left tackle Jake Long not only disclocated his shoulder Sunday, but he also suffered damage to his labrum during the same injury, according to team sources.
Long, who played the first month of the season with a sprained MCL in his knee, has not ruled out playing Thursday night against the Chicago Bears. He may be fitted with a shoulder harness, but he is questionable, at best, the sources said. Long played with the injury until late in the fourth quarter of the Dolphins' 29-17 victory over the Tennessee Titans.
Dolphins coach Tony Sparano did not disclose many details about Long's injury but added that the former No. 1 pick was a "tough guy."

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...e-1228_1_dolphins-lt-jake-long-reserve-injury

[h=1]Miami Dolphins LT Jake Long placed on injured reserve[/h]

December 28, 2011|Shandel Richardson, SunSentinel.com
DAVIE — The Miami Dolphins on Wednesday placed left tackle Jake Long on injured reserve.
The move ends an injury-filled season for Long, who sustained a torn right bicep last week against the New England Patriots. Long, who was selected to the Pro Bowl, also dealt with back and knee issues during season. It will mark the second game Long has missed in his career. A back injury caused him to sit two weeks ago against the Buffalo Bills.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2012/12...on-injured-reserve-make-multiple-roster-moves

he Miami Dolphins have placed left tackle Jake Long on the injured reserve list, ending his 2012 season. MRI results from Monday confirmed the torn left triceps muscle for Long, meaning for the second straight season, his year ends early."Jake will be very missed," Dolphins receiver Brian Hartline told the Miami Herald's Barry Jackson Tuesday. "He's one of our leaders, a staple on our offensive line."Long has not been playing to the elite level most expected from the 2008 first overall pick this season. He has been selected to the Pro Bowl every season in which he has been in the league, and currently leads all tackles in AFC Pro Bowl voting for this year.

3 years of injuries. wake up.

patience is one thing, but it's been two years of injuries, (well three if you count the injuried plagued 3rd season too.) and I wouldn't expect people to have over 3 years patiece with a rookie, nor would I expect to have more than 3 years patience with a player who has now proven injuries are the norm and not the exception. I also don't pay long 10 million when he's not the guy who is going to score touchdowns for us.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5810876

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...e-1228_1_dolphins-lt-jake-long-reserve-injury

http://www.thephinsider.com/2012/12...on-injured-reserve-make-multiple-roster-moves

3 years of injuries. wake up.

And yet you get frustrated when people give their honest assessment of Martin who spent most of last season looking as if he literally had 2 left feet lol.

Martin is a rookie. He will get stronger and better

And yet you get frustrated when people give their honest assessment of Martin who spent most of last season looking as if he literally had 2 left feet lol.
If you don't honestly see the difference between a rookie and the possibility for improvement, VS Long and the certain erosion of his playing skills and body as proven by 3 years of constant injuries I don't know what to tell you.

Nice cliche, but his foot work was actually a strength of his. His strength, from legs to core to upper body, are what needs emphasis.

If you don't honestly see the difference between a rookie and the possibility for improvement, VS Long and the certain erosion of his playing skills and body as proven by 3 years of constant injuries I don't know what to tell you.

I could just as easily reverse that. If you don't see the difference between a player who in his first three years was clearly the best or at least in the top three at his position and a rookie who spent most of last year looking like he doesn't belong then I don't know what to tell you =)

I could just as easily reverse that. If you don't see the difference between a player who in his first three years was clearly the best or at least in the top three at his position and a rookie who spent most of last year looking like he doesn't belong then I don't know what to tell you =)

You can reverse them, but it doesn't change the message of each. The difference is that 3 years of injury continuity speaks for a downward trend on Long's long term ability, and should leave you more weary on committing to him financially as if he's a top 3 LT in the league, because we don't know if he ever will be again. A ROOKIE, being the key word, has time to develop, and a ceiling that hasn't been seen yet, AND won't cost an arm and a leg. Yes, he could be a liability if he doesn't improve, but so can an injured Jake Long, only DIFFERENCE is that we won't have 10 mil sunk into contract.

That's the difference.

You can reverse them, but it doesn't change the message of each. The difference is that 3 years of injury continuity speaks for a downward trend on Long's long term ability, and should leave you more weary on committing to him financially as if he's a top 3 LT in the league, because we don't know if he ever will be again. A ROOKIE, being the key word, has time to develop, and a ceiling that hasn't been seen yet, AND won't cost an arm and a leg. Yes, he could be a liability if he doesn't improve, but so can an injured Jake Long, only DIFFERENCE is that we won't have 10 mil sunk into contract.

That's the difference.

Again I never once said we should give up on the rookie. Just saying we shouldn't give up on Jake either. There are all sorts of clauses that could go into a contract that would make it team friendly. For pete's sake Jakes only 27 years old.

Back
Top Bottom