Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter, Robert Woods, who do you target in next years draft? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter, Robert Woods, who do you target in next years draft?

Like it or not this league is about size when it comes to the dominating forces at WR.

Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson and Andre Johnson are widely considered the best WRs today, perhaps the best of our time. The thing they share in common is they're all freaking huge. Demaryius Thomas is coming into stardom, another huge guy. Brandon Marshall, gargantuan. A.J. Green, 6'4" and 215 lbs. Marques Colston, monstrously sized. Julio Jones 6'3" and 220+ lbs. Dwayne Bowe over 6'2" and 220+ lbs. Vincent Jackson is a monster. Anquan Boldin is big. Jordy Nelson is huge at 6'3" and about 220 lbs. Dez Bryant is huge. Miles Austin is 6'2" and 220 lbs. Eric Decker is 6'3" and 215 lbs. And then you've got guys like Hakeem Nicks who aren't huge on listings but seem like it on the field. Then you've got the players that don't have it anymore but used to dominate, like Randy Moss and Terrell Owens...huge guys.

Heck even guys you wouldn't think of as big players, really do have decent size. Brian Hartline is 6'2". Roddy White is over 6'1" and was 207 lbs coming out, probably heavier now. Torrey Smith is over 6'1" and 205 lbs. Victor Cruz is 6'1" and 200+ lbs.

There are certainly exceptions, I'm not saying there aren't. I think Marqise Lee and Stedman Bailey are going to be great examples of exceptions. I just think you do have to keep that in mind when you're looking at the very top of the WRs class and you see guys like Keenan Allen (6'3" and 220 lbs) and Justin Hunter (6'4" and 200+ lbs with plenty of room to grow out more). Those guys are up there because they have the potential to be dominating forces at the receiver position.
It's a huge matchup problem. There simply aren't many corners with the size to match up against all those big receivers and towering tight ends. I don't think there are too many corners out there above 6-1. That and the rule changes limiting what corners can do makes it so much easier for receivers. And to your point it is one of the reasons I really like Allen and Hunter. Hunter simply wins the battles in the air. A quarterback can feel pretty comfortable knowing that his guy has the best chance to win a jump ball. Chris Chambers gave you that, but he was 5-11. It's the part of Hunter's game that can't be taught, kind of like horizontal speed so to speak. Allen to this point is the more well rounded of the two and doesn't have the injury concern, but I'd be very happy with Hunter.
'

Keenan Allen is an absolute stud. Don't see him falling to us unfortunately.
I think the closer the team gets to .500 the less chance to land Keenan Allen. Right now it wouldn't surprise me to see him go top 10, even top 5. I don't think Miami will pick that high. Justin Hunter would be my next wr target. If he's gone, I'd wait to round 2 for wr help and draft best player, which would probably be a pass rusher or corner.

I can't really say too much about Justin Hunter as I haven't really watched a lot of him.

I have watched a lot of Woods and Allen though.

I live over in the West Coast so I watch all the Pac 12 games and I am admittingly a big USC fan so you can take my evaluation of Woods with a grain of salt if you wish.

First off, I think Keenan Allen is going to be a better WR than Woods. I plan on watching more of Hunter at some point this year, but right now I would put Allen at the top of my wish list for the Dolphins to draft next year. He is a big WR (6-3 215) who is excellent at getting yards after the catch. I think he would be a perfect fit for the WCO since he does run a lot of slants and shorter patterns at CAL already. He also goes up and gets the ball on deep passes which is another thing that I like. I think Allen would be a great fit for this offense.

Robert Woods is harder for me to get a grasp on. I'm a big USC fan and obviously Woods has been a huge contributor for a while there. He is an explosive playmaker with the ball in his hands and can definately be a good returner for us as well at the next level. I don't think he has elite speed or hands. He has very good speed and at times makes spectacular catches, but I don't think he really has an elite trait. I've seen some scouts call him the next "Greg Jennings" and while I believe he has that potential, I don't think he'll get quite up to that level. I think he is more of a mid 2nd round guy who has potential to be a solid starter in this league. I don't know if he will last to the 2nd round, but I wouldn't really take him before than imo.

Allow me to play contrarian.... Markus Wheaton From Oregon St.

As for TE, Fauria from UCLA. I'd keep my eye on the 2 juniors from Standford (Ertz & Toilolo).

Not seeing it with Justin Hunter ck. You've turned me on to Wilson though...good looking prospect. Still don't understand why there's no love for Quinton Patton. I also like Keenan Allen, Terrance Williams (if he runs well at the combine he's going to shoot up boards), DeAndre Hopkins and Stedman Bailey. I've got more games to watch though.
Quinton Patton went off for 21 receptions, 233 yards and 4 TDs against Texas A&M...and when he wasn't catching the ball he was drawing pass interference penalties. They had no answer for him.

Quinton Patton went off for 21 receptions, 233 yards and 4 TDs against Texas A&M...and when he wasn't catching the ball he was drawing pass interference penalties. They had no answer for him.

wow I need to check that guy out

My preference of the 3 mentioned would be:
1) Keenan Allen - Big physical receiver that catches well with his hands and at it's highest point. He is quick, runs good routes and is tough to bring down. He'll be a big help on 3rd down conversions and in the redzone
2) Justin Hunter - Don't know much about him other than watching his highlights on youtube but looks like a true number 1 WR
3) Someone other than Robert Woods - Woods tends to wait for the ball to come to him... he catches with his body which will not translate well to the NFL. I feel another USC WR bust.

Between that and his roasting of Terry Hawthorne, that ought to have some folks wagging their tongues.

I admit I've only seen the Illinois game for him, and it left you needing to see more before you could make an evaluation either way.

Here's my question, is Keenan Allen a guy that if we are picking somwhere between say 12- 20 that we actually trade up for him? Do we make the move to go get him and how high do we go because if we are trading up into the top five then I have to also start wondering can we get a Mingo or Jones to come be our other elite pass rusher. I feel we have a bigger need at WR I would be happy to move up to 7 or 8 to get him but is he priced higher than that? Right now the top of the draft before the whole process happens you've got, Smith, Barkley, Mingo, Jones, Star are the top five in my mind. then you get into guys like Montgomery, Milliner, Hankins from OSU, Werner, Joeckel, Matthews and Allen. If he was around at 7-8 I think depending on the cost go grab him. But even a guy like Milliner in that group would look very nice across from Smith.

Random thoughts ...

It seems clear our coaching staff wants a receiver with a large wingspan foremost and secondarily speed (vertical speed to get deep and scare DB's) and quickness (to create separation) and brains (to understand and properly execute sight adjustments). So looking at the collegiate WR's, I'd eliminate all of the marquee prospects under 6'3. If we select a WR smaller than 6'3 it will likely not be in the 1st round. I'd guess our staff is targeting Justin Hunter/Keenan Allen as the only 1st round guys. I'd imagine Cordarelle Patterson might be their ideal guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. Philbin wants no head cases, no problem children, no divas, and no knuckleheads. Look for prospects that avoided major run-ins with their coaches, the law, and team discipline.

So, exciting prospects like Tavon Austin, Steadman Bailey, and even Robert Woods might not make the cut because of their size. Slower guys will probably not be selected even if they look like incredible prospects. Talented kids like Da'Rick Rogers will likely be heavily interviewed and thoroughly investigated if there is any chance we may draft them. When it's all said and done, I'd expect us to look at less than half the WR's being projected to be drafted in any particular round. Philbin is looking for a #1 and #1a type WR's with a very demanding list of needed qualities.

Many GM's like to double-up on a certain position. It helps the transition for the players, kills two birds with one stone from a teaching standpoint, and each kid learns from the other's mistakes as well as their own. It also gives more insurance to the GM that this position will be filled. Ireland does that (e.g. Merling/Langford or Vontae Davis/Sean Smith). I fully expect us to double-up on premier WR's in the 2013 draft. The 1st rounder will be expected to step in and start. The second day selection will likely be rougher around the edges. If I had to guess, I'd guess that they might target Justin Hunter in the 1st and Cordarelle Patterson in the 2nd/3rd depending upon where his projection is at draft time. I'd love it if they came away with those two, but we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

I don't know how you've come away with the impression that they won't draft anyone under 6'3" but I assure you if you go through Green Bay's history, and even just look at the two WRs that the Dolphins drafted this past year, you'll come away thinking that they're more likely to AVOID guys that are above 6'3" as opposed to the other way around.

Random thoughts ...

It seems clear our coaching staff wants a receiver with a large wingspan foremost and secondarily speed (vertical speed to get deep and scare DB's) and quickness (to create separation) and brains (to understand and properly execute sight adjustments). So looking at the collegiate WR's, I'd eliminate all of the marquee prospects under 6'3. If we select a WR smaller than 6'3 it will likely not be in the 1st round. I'd guess our staff is targeting Justin Hunter/Keenan Allen as the only 1st round guys. I'd imagine Cordarelle Patterson might be their ideal guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. Philbin wants no head cases, no problem children, no divas, and no knuckleheads. Look for prospects that avoided major run-ins with their coaches, the law, and team discipline.

So, exciting prospects like Tavon Austin, Steadman Bailey, and even Robert Woods might not make the cut because of their size. Slower guys will probably not be selected even if they look like incredible prospects. Talented kids like Da'Rick Rogers will likely be heavily interviewed and thoroughly investigated if there is any chance we may draft them. When it's all said and done, I'd expect us to look at less than half the WR's being projected to be drafted in any particular round. Philbin is looking for a #1 and #1a type WR's with a very demanding list of needed qualities.

Many GM's like to double-up on a certain position. It helps the transition for the players, kills two birds with one stone from a teaching standpoint, and each kid learns from the other's mistakes as well as their own. It also gives more insurance to the GM that this position will be filled. Ireland does that (e.g. Merling/Langford or Vontae Davis/Sean Smith). I fully expect us to double-up on premier WR's in the 2013 draft. The 1st rounder will be expected to step in and start. The second day selection will likely be rougher around the edges. If I had to guess, I'd guess that they might target Justin Hunter in the 1st and Cordarelle Patterson in the 2nd/3rd depending upon where his projection is at draft time. I'd love it if they came away with those two, but we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Using your criteria Justin Hunter is out...I think he lacks in the brains department and I've seen more than enough "diva" moments from him in games. I haven't watched enough of Keenan Allen to formulate an opinion on him but the University of California - Berkley is a top 10 - 15 school in the country.

I also don't think I would eliminate anyone with this coaching staff due to height...those cookie cutter measurables per position requirements was the Parcells way of drafting. During Sherman's time as a Coach/GM in Green Bay they seemed to draft guys who were 6'0"+ but during Philbin's time there the year after Sherman left they took Greg Jennings who's 5'11" and they also took Randall Cobb in 2011 who's 5'10". I agree that Tavon Austin may not be in play but I would be surprised if Stedman Bailey isn't on the list...he's too much of a playmaker to overlook and fills every requirement Philbin is looking for, catches the ball consistently, short area quickness to get separation, deep speed to get behind the defense, unbelievable ability to get yards after catch...I have a hard time thinking they're just going to disregard this kid just cause he's not 6' something.

Back
Top Bottom