Knowing what you knownow, Matt Ryan or Jake Long? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Knowing what you knownow, Matt Ryan or Jake Long?

As already stated, Dan Marino was the greatest franchise QB to ever play the game and could never win a championship. Peyton Manning's near the top and he only one. The teams with the best offensive lines, like the 70s Fins and 90s Cowboys, are the ones that are consistently winning championships.

there is no one ingredient that makes a super bowl team. That being said a franchise qb is much harder to find than one franchise lineman.

Pittsburgh does not have a lineman close to Long's ability and neither did Arizona

Yea Im referring to the team that Marino took over

Awesome, so if Ryan is not able to take his team to the Superbowl in year 2, you will admit that you may have been a bit premature if comparing Ryan & Marino...sounds good to me. :up:

Any web site but this one the response would be 95% in favor of Ryan.

Of course on here its 95% Long...who would of thought that.

Going by what we know now you have to pick Ryan. Not a question.

Any web site but this one the response would be 95% in favor of Ryan.

Of course on here its 95% Long...who would of thought that.

Going by what we know now you have to pick Ryan. Not a question.

I've actually posed this question on two NFL forums. It's about a 60-40 split in favor of Long, surprisingly.

Even knowing what I know. Qb is always the most important position. I have never been a fan of taking an offensive lineman that high in first round. Regardless of how good he may be. Now don't get me wrong I like Jake Long. I just don't care for the type of money first rounders get. And O lineman probably one of the lower paid players on a team.

I might be wrong in my thinking but its something I have always felt. So I guess it's a good thing I am not a GM.

Even knowing what I know. Qb is always the most important position. I have never been a fan of taking an offensive lineman that high in first round. Regardless of how good he may be. Now don't get me wrong I like Jake Long. I just don't care for the type of money first rounders get. And O lineman probably one of the lower paid players on a team.

I might be wrong in my thinking but its something I have always felt. So I guess it's a good thing I am not a GM.

As a dolphin fan I know people dont want to give any other teams player any props but would a person rather have Richmond Webb or Dan Marino.

Tom Brady or Matt Light

Still would pick jake long.If you cannot protect the quarterback.He's useless.Lets see how that Franchise Quarterback does the first week against a nasty miami dolphins defense

Still would pick jake long.If you cannot protect the quarterback.He's useless.Lets see how that Franchise Quarterback does the first week against a nasty miami dolphins defense

people said he would get killed last year and he definately did quite well

Knowing what we know now, I think it would be very difficult to overlook Ryan. You could also make the case that Long is'nt even the top LT from that draft, so I definetly would'nt pass on what is looking like a franchise QB, for the second best LT in that draft (Clady I feel is marginally better).

Knowing what we know now, I think it would be very difficult to overlook Ryan. You could also make the case that Long is'nt even the top LT from that draft, so I definetly would'nt pass on what is looking like a franchise QB, for the second best LT in that draft (Clady I feel is marginally better).

Knowing what we know now, u definitely take Jake Long, because Matt Ryan would not have seen the field with Chad Pennington being released. Now he may have seen the field after Chad got laid out due to the lack of a quality LT (or RT as Carey would have been switched), but Ryan would have been Henne'd IMO, and that is being overlooked. Henne looked pretty damn good against Arizona, and that Arizona defense was not in prevent, they were sending 4 guys.

I dunno, we will see . . . yea the better pick was Ryan in general . . . but for us, I am certain that Jake Long was the better pick and him and Henne will make us forget about Ryan, even if he is a great QB.

I will say this, I am confident we were not a playoff team with Ryan last season . . . we were with Jake Long.

Clady was excellent in pass pro last season, better than Jake . . . but he isn't the better tackle, not to me. Jake already is being mentioned as the best run blocking LT in the league . . . and his pass protection was pretty damn solid last year. Really the PERFECT Parcells LT.

Why can't you put Henne in the equation? The thread is if you knew then what you know now. Do we not know now that we have Henne?

U have to throw Henne in the equation. Hell he may be better than Ryan, who knows

This thread has gone entirely too long to me not to give my two cents.

I want to start off saying I am not yet on the Matt Ryan golden boy bandwagon. I will admit he arguably has had the most successful season a rookie QB has ever seen in the NFL. His QB rating was 87.7 ranking #11 in the league last year.His numbers were absolutely great....for a rookie. Logic shows that Ryan should continue his growth into a franchise QB.
However I am still not convinced he will be able to take the next step into elite. Atlanta relied heavily on the run last year, helping to take some pressure off the rookie QB. Until I see teams gameplanning around Ryan as "the man" and him cutting through them like swiss cheese, I reserve the right to Cantonize him.

The thread also says knowing what I know now. For me last season was the greatest I have ever had as a Dolphins fan. It was an amazing ride. Division champs, nail biters each week, playoffs senerios. Great time. That was all with Jake, and I am not sure I would give up last year for anything short of a guarenteed Super Bowl.

With all that being said....you take Ryan. I may have doubts about him, but the upside is enormous. If the FO would have seen the potential that was shown last season, he would have been our #1 pick. I have no doubt Jake was the best LT in the draft (Sorry Clady.) It would have been painful without him securing the left side, but the value of a QB is much higher then a LT. Most important position in all of sports.

Many will argue Jake and then Henne. But knowing what you know now...which was the original question. Ryan is essentially a sure thing, Henne is not.

A cop out senerio here could be a draft and trade, but I will not go there :)

Back
Top Bottom