Lets Face the Facts | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lets Face the Facts

Do we need to blow this team up and start a rebuild?

I don't think we are at that stage on the offensive side of the ball. We have the quarterback position filled, the receiving core is solid, we have a decent enough bunch of tight ends, and Kenyan Drake might just be the answer at running back. So we do have a good group of play makers on the offensive that should be able to function and become a potent offense. The biggest thing we need to fix on this side of the ball is the O-Line, and when that is sorted, the rest should fall into place and we could see another exciting Miami Dolphins offense.

Where I do think we need to rebuild is the defense. We do have some nice pieces but we also have a number of ineffective players that just aren't very good. I think our D-Line is good enough to go forwards with, but we need to upgrade our entire group of starting line backers, and we also need to strengthen the secondary as well. The problem we have is that our defense is either really good or really bad, there really isn't much middle ground with our team. What we need to do next season is make sure that our defense becomes more consistent and become less boom or bust. I know we got to the play offs last year with a bend don't break defense, but that same approach is killing us at times this season.

For me, I don't think we need to blow everything up and start over. What we need to do is upgrade the O-Line, line backing core, and secondary. If we can fix those three positions then maybe we can return to being a better football team next season. Or perhaps we should start a semi-rebuild and remove the band aids and start to rebuild around young talent on this roster rather than the ageing (and perhaps declining) talents.

I do think this is close to a major rebuild.

I will put this out there, though, how much farther along would Miami be with an offensive line that was at least league average? I think in that scenario, even with Cutler at quarterback, this would be a different team. The Ajayi trade may never have happened either.

Not saying that the offensive line is the only problem, but it's a big one.

Suh is still a great player, but teams have figured out that you can double him and no one else will step up. Carolina doubled him the entire game and no one else on the line made a play --- really the entire game.

Miami's biggest need might be a shutdown corner. The team still needs to add to the pass rush. But, I'd concentrate almost entirely on offense in free agency and the draft.

In defence of the defense ...(see what i did there ...)... time of possession is a big stat...35 mins to 25 in panthers favour...nothing like tiring a defence out. offence not converting 3rd down mean very little rest for the defence. Saw a stat during the game that Suh had played 86% of defensive snaps this season...thats alot of time on the field..

I've been reading opinions from some of the columnists that urge the team to start questioning everything, and I think they're right. You can't throw out a whole scheme mid-season, but I think the defensive scheme has a basic flaw and we've doubled down by collecting flawed players to execute the scheme.

Gase also needs to take a good look at what he's trying to accomplish on offense. Play to play, I can't decipher what it is he's trying to do. I remember him talking about building a multiple offense, kinda in the mold of the Patriots, to attack opponents with different emphasis every week, but I never see the playcalls changing.

For me, there are a few things that need to happen.

1: Tannenbum needs to go. He's a terrible GM. He was at the Jets, and he is now with us. Some of his decision making is just baffling. And his talent evaluation leaves a lot to be desired. It's funny, I keep thinking how I wish Raekwon hadn't got injured - but what's the guarantee he's actually any good? Less than 50/50, given who picked him, in my book.
2: Gase needs to give up the play calling. I think he is giving himself too much to do. He's still learning to be a head coach. I think it's time he relinquished that control so that he can concentrate on what he's supposed to be doing. And if he was to do that, maybe he could get on Burke to do more - I agree, the defense isn't the major problem, but when you've that much money invested in the defensive line, are they producing enough? No way. That's on the DC in my opinion.
3: Draft some decent players. The more I look at it, this franchise can't even be fixed in one off season. Hardly any cap space, after that abysmal decision to bring Cutler out of retirement, and so many holes. The entire OL needs to be replaced, though I'd give Tunsil a pass, given he's on his rookie contract. We need a new safety. Entirely new LB corps. More pass rush - again, our first round pick, what's he doing? Great talent evaluation. Bad coaching. Who knows which the problem is. Either way, it's not good enough.

These are just a few of the things that need to happen. There are many more.

Top of the list though, unsurprisingly, number 1 above. GET RID.

For me, there are a few things that need to happen.

1: Tannenbum needs to go. He's a terrible GM. He was at the Jets, and he is now with us. Some of his decision making is just baffling. And his talent evaluation leaves a lot to be desired. It's funny, I keep thinking how I wish Raekwon hadn't got injured - but what's the guarantee he's actually any good? Less than 50/50, given who picked him, in my book.
2: Gase needs to give up the play calling. I think he is giving himself too much to do. He's still learning to be a head coach. I think it's time he relinquished that control so that he can concentrate on what he's supposed to be doing. And if he was to do that, maybe he could get on Burke to do more - I agree, the defense isn't the major problem, but when you've that much money invested in the defensive line, are they producing enough? No way. That's on the DC in my opinion.
3: Draft some decent players. The more I look at it, this franchise can't even be fixed in one off season. Hardly any cap space, after that abysmal decision to bring Cutler out of retirement, and so many holes. The entire OL needs to be replaced, though I'd give Tunsil a pass, given he's on his rookie contract. We need a new safety. Entirely new LB corps. More pass rush - again, our first round pick, what's he doing? Great talent evaluation. Bad coaching. Who knows which the problem is. Either way, it's not good enough.

These are just a few of the things that need to happen. There are many more.

Top of the list though, unsurprisingly, number 1 above. GET RID.

The Cutler signing is meaningless, it was a one year deal.

The Dolphins could easily clear well over 60 mil in cap room by releasing or trading veterans that aren't earning their money.

Right now, the outlook for the off season is dismal; and it well should be if Ross keeps the buffoons making the decisions.

A new GM and coach would have no qualms about trading and cutting players, adding draft picks and signing some good contracts with guys who are actually good NFL players.

A GM with a brain would quickly look to replace Branch and Kiko, and have a plan to trade Reshad Jones if he isn't playing 110%.

Obviously Pouncey, with the 2nd worse run blocking grade in the NFL needs to be replaced. Ju'wuan may be expendable as well as Julius Thomas and others.

It's time to trade RT and draft a QB. If the NFL idiots continue to sleep on Baker Mayfield because he is short, we could get Drew Brees with wheels for a very value pick.

Not so fast.
First need to find out whether Gase is the right man for the HC job?
What do you do if you blow up the team and Gase is not HC material.
Always always always find a competent HC first.

Find a Head Coach who has had previous success as a Head Coach and is highly motivated to run an NFL franchise. Get a guy who can bring in top assistant coaches.

I don't think that dumping a coach after 2 years will do any good for the team. I would like to see a HUGE overhaul in the O-line first and foremost. Tunsil is the only one worth keeping. Its unrealistic to replace 4 starters on any unit. So i think we try for a new RT and at least a guard.
I would hope with that start it would improve the team some.

I don't think in all my years as a fan even during the 1-15 season i have been as upset and mad at the team as I am now. As a fan i can do nothing that can affect the team but come on when other teams in the NFL can get better and do the phins can do it as well.

The inexperience within the coaching ranks is hurting the team. When the defense was playing well, Burke was solid in his adjustments during the game. But since The Baltimore game there seems to be some sort of disconnect on defense. More like the dam has broken. He’s not getting it done, especially now that teams have figured him out. I’m baffled by the lack of control on Ross’ part in keeping the spending in check. Ever since the Suh signing it’s been one questionable contract after another. Suh is Suh, a great player at that, but, his contract had a domino affect on the rest of the roster decisions that are being made. No one seems to be held accountable. The Cutler signing was a damn waste of $10m if ever there was one. The illusion of a 10-6 season hurt the team moving forward, because of the false belief the team was close, when in fact, it wasn’t and was full of bloated contracts to players not worthy of the money being paid to them. The cavalier attitude I’ve seen from the high priced players is telling. It’s all about the Benjamin’s for them, living in and playing in a state with no income tax. It’s the saddest time for me as a long time Dolphins fan. Bad decisions are killing this franchise on and off the field.

I don't think that dumping a coach after 2 years will do any good for the team. I would like to see a HUGE overhaul in the O-line first and foremost. Tunsil is the only one worth keeping. Its unrealistic to replace 4 starters on any unit. So i think we try for a new RT and at least a guard.

I don't think in all my years as a fan even during the 1-15 season i have been as upset and mad at the team as I am now. As a fan i can do nothing that can affect the team but come on when other teams in the NFL can get better and do the phins can do it as well.

I like James, but not at his current $$. Tunsil is a keeper. I wish there was some evidence on Asiata, Smith, Brendel to give fans some idea if there was talent, but I suspect 2 OLmen will be needed. We've seen this year (as wee see every year) how much an injured OLman on a top team can change a team's fortunes. Miami needs 3.

Not to beat a dead horse, but when the average watching-on-TV fan can often call Miami's plays, we know what an above average DC can do. I'll not beat the QB dead horse.

If this was a race to outrun mediocrity, the Dolphins would be getting lapped by teams that were recently in worse shape. The Rams? Lapped. The Jaguars? Lapped. Eagles? Lapped. Raiders? Lapped. Titans, Saints, Vikings, maybe the Bills? Getting lapped. Just a stuck-in-neutral franchise while others find competent head coaches, GM's, and finally acquire talented players.

The inexperience within the coaching ranks is hurting the team. When the defense was playing well, Burke was solid in his adjustments during the game. But since The Baltimore game there seems to be some sort of disconnect on defense. More like the dam has broken. He’s not getting it done, especially now that teams have figured him out. I’m baffled by the lack of control on Ross’ part in keeping the spending in check. Ever since the Suh signing it’s been one questionable contract after another. Suh is Suh, a great player at that, but, his contracted had a domino affect on the rest of the roster decisions that are being made. No one seems to be held accountable. The Cutler signing was a damn waste of $10m if ever there was one. The illusion of a 10-6 season hurt the team moving forward, because of the false belief the team was close, when in fact, it wasn’t and was full of bloated contracts to players not worthy of the money being paid to them. The cavalier attitude I’ve seen from the high priced players is telling. It’s all about the Benjamin’s for them, living in and playing in a state with no income tax. It’s the saddest time for me as a long time Dolphins fan. Bad decisions are killing this franchise on and off the field.

I understand the signing of Cutler (kinda). Tannehill went down, the team had a shot at the playoffs IF Miami had a decent QB (and I think Culter was 'decent'). BUT, if MM was not seen as capable, why is he getting $5mm? And I admit, while I though Cutler was 'decent,' he has turned out worse than Cleo. Sadly, the only remaining option is Fales, and I'm not excited about that.

If this was a race to outrun mediocrity, the Dolphins would be getting lapped by teams that were recently in worse shape. The Rams? Lapped. The Jaguars? Lapped. Eagles? Lapped. Raiders? Lapped. Titans, Saints, Vikings, maybe the Bills? Getting lapped. Just a stuck-in-neutral franchise while others find competent head coaches, GM's, and finally acquire talented players.
I agree 100%, Tom Coughlin in Jacksonville is the quintessential Football man, who’s turned around the Jacksonville franchise in one off season. He truly knows how to build a team from the ground up, then throw in Doug Marrone a Don Shula desiple and you get a strong running game with a tough defense. The Rams and Eagles are both the beneficiaries of smart DC hires to go along with long term assistants as new HC’s. Wish Miami would have followed these formulas.

I agree 100%, Tom Coughlin in Jacksonville is the quintessential Football man, who’s turned around the Jacksonville franchise in one off season. He truly knows how to build a team from the ground up, then throw in Doug Marrone a Don Shula desiple and you get a strong running game with a tough defense. The Rams and Eagles are both the beneficiaries of smart DC hires to go along with long term assistants as new HC’s. Wish Miami would have followed these formulas.

Sounds like success can come without an elite QB. I buy that. Good teams can be built with consistently disciplined play and upper third talent.

Back
Top Bottom