Marino or Elway? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino or Elway?

I'd take Elway.

Watching Marino carve up a defense was quite a sight. It always amazed me, even with cement feet, how he felt pressure in the pocket and just sidestepped enough to find an open target.

But Davis or not, Elway had a magic that was special. He was the complete package. Great arm, could run, and had a flare for the dramatic, pulling out late wins.

From the eighties on, I'd say:

1. Montana 2. Elway 3. Marino 4. Favre

I'm probably shortchanging someone. I might put Steve Young ahead of Favre. Favre makes too many bonehead plays.

FlyingElvis said:
I'd take Elway.

Watching Marino carve up a defense was quite a sight. It always amazed me, even with cement feet, how he felt pressure in the pocket and just sidestepped enough to find an open target.

But Davis or not, Elway had a magic that was special. He was the complete package. Great arm, could run, and had a flare for the dramatic, pulling out late wins.

From the eighties on, I'd say:

1. Montana 2. Elway 3. Marino 4. Favre

I'm probably shortchanging someone. I might put Steve Young ahead of Favre. Favre makes too many bonehead plays.

I'm interested in why you would put Montana ahead of Marino? You explaines why you have Elway so I was just wondering! :D

Williams34Phins said:
I take Marino. Montana and Elway are put ahead becuase they have rings.

How can you rate a single position like QB by using a team stat like winning rings to place a player ahead of someone with more records in that position?

I'm not saying your wrong or anything it's your opinion and your entitled to it, I'm just wondering!

pvgolf32 said:
i dont see how you can saw marino had the better arm--maybe he was more accurate but elway had a cannon

I mean he's the better passer of the two

Marino had the strongest arm but I seen Elway play some amazing games back in the days. Elway was a great player in the playoffs too, had more wins and comebacks than marino and his teams were as good as marino's.

shalafi3455 said:
I'm interested in why you would put Montana ahead of Marino? You explaines why you have Elway so I was just wondering! :D
Because he reminds me of Tom Brady! :evil: Kidding!! :)

I know you guys aren't big on the rings for liking a QB, but Montana has too many for it to be an accident. He elevated the players around him. I don't necessarily believe the argument that the players around him were more talented, so thats why he was successful. Its kind of like the chicken and the egg story. I think a guy like Montana made those around him better because he was so good at distributing the ball. Great decision maker, seemed like he had 4 eyes. No one, ever could survey a defense and go to the right receiver like Montana.

Joe Montana was the Jason Kidd of football. He might not have many 400 yard, or 5 TD pass games, but you would have 5 or 6 guys with 3 or more catches.

FlyingElvis said:
Because he reminds me of Tom Brady! :evil: Kidding!! :)

I know you guys aren't big on the rings for liking a QB, but Montana has too many for it to be an accident. He elevated the players around him. I don't necessarily believe the argument that the players around him were more talented, so thats why he was successful. Its kind of like the chicken and the egg story. I think a guy like Montana made those around him better because he was so good at distributing the ball. Great decision maker, seemed like he had 4 eyes. No one, ever could survey a defense and go to the right receiver like Montana.

Joe Montana was the Jason Kidd of football. He might not have many 400 yard, or 5 TD pass games, but you would have 5 or 6 guys with 3 or more catches.

So in that case he would have had the same amount of rings if he was on the Dolphins those years?
About the talent around him, he did have the best WR ever to play the game!
Having a guy like that could have just maybe elevated his game and not the other way around! If anything it sure doesn't hurt to play with the best WR ever!

True about Rice. He's easily the best WR ever. But Duper and Clayton were about the best tandem during the eighties. Were they so great or did Marino have something to do with it? Something to ponder...

But, correct me if I'm wrong. I always felt what kept Marino from getting a ring was that he never had the dominate D to get him on the field.

Too bad you couldn't combine the Phins O from that era with todays D. :eek:

Marino's QB rating was much higher than Elway's.
Marino's the better QB...period.
If Marino had Terrell Davis, Marino would've won multiple SBs too.

FlyingElvis said:
True about Rice. He's easily the best WR ever. But Duper and Clayton were about the best tandem during the eighties. Were they so great or did Marino have something to do with it? Something to ponder...

But, correct me if I'm wrong. I always felt what kept Marino from getting a ring was that he never had the dominate D to get him on the field.

Too bad you couldn't combine the Phins O from that era with todays D. :eek:

that is true he never had a good D to stop the other team never mind get him back on the field! He would score and they D would give it right back!
He also never had a running game to speak of for the most part so to me it's amazing the numbers he did put up when the D know he was going to throw it! It's like now with Ricky they know he is going to run so they put 8 in the box! I think Marino and Ricky would work well together and make a great play action tandum! Not to mention how Chambers would benifit!

I would love to see him in his prime on this team now! My god the sky would be the limit!

Mile High Fin said:
Marino's QB rating was much higher than Elway's.
Marino's the better QB...period.
If Marino had Terrell Davis, Marino would've won multiple SBs too.

Heck, if the Fins had a prime Marino the last two years instead of Fiedler, with Ricky and a solid D, they could go 16-0 and the Super Bowl.

Without question I would take Marino.

Elway’s QB rating over his career was 79.9. :shakeno:
Marino’s QB rating over his career was 86.4. :D

Elway had to have Sharpe, McCaffery, Smith, and Davis in their primes to win Super Bowls. Give Marino a 2000 yard rusher, one of the best TE’s ever, and an above average set of WR’s and Marino would have a number of rings.

I think John Elway is one of the most overrated players in NFL history. He was an above average QB but he is not in the same class as Marino, Montana, and Unitas.

Marino almost always outplayed Elway head to head. He also outplayed him statistically on the field during his career statisically. The only reason people ask this question is because Elway was also great but has some rings. Marino was better. Period.

Back
Top Bottom