Marino or Elway? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino or Elway?

You couldn't lose either way. Now if you were asking who would you take if they were both rookies and you needed them to start right away, Marino was the one that lit it up in the beginning of his career and Elway took a little while longer. Marino had the super-quick release and accuracy, Elway had the stronger arm and wasn't afraid to put his shoulder into a LB when he scrambled - I saw several times as he knocked LB's or DB's over. They both were smart and very confident. As several mentioned above, it also depends on your offensive line. Anyway, you would have a winner with either one.

I've fortunately lived long enough to watch probably every single QB in the history of the game, literally and figuratively(sp?). I've always answered Marino, mainly with the heart (he was, after all, the heart and soul of this team for more than a decade, and his game was amazingly entertaining to watch, whether he was throwing to Duper or Smith - the Sammie kind)... Even in his rookie year, he always showed patience, experience and intelligence (well, most of the time)...

Still, answering with my brains, I wouldn't know who to pick. I liked Elway's heart and mobility far more than his arm or accuracy, and yes, I would've liked to see what a Marino pre-10/10/93 would've done with a more complete team (even if he never got the great receivers, the stats, whatever)... I still don't know for sure. Probably because I could never, ever make a decision like that with my brains. But yes, it could be Elway as easily as Marino, if by some chance my almost cult-like alliance to this team was broken.

I do know (believe) this. Montana wouldn't have been nearly as succesful with ANY other team of his time (80's), except, obviously, the '85 Bears. But both Marino and Elway could've managed to make a succesful career in any other team.

I hope you don't mind the rambling...

I'd go with Marino. Marino is ahead of Elway in many of the major statistical categories even though he played on a less talented team than Elway year in and year out. Put Marino on a team as talented as the Broncos were when Elway got 2 rings and he could do exactly the same, guaranteed.

Williams34Phins said:
You misunderstood what I said, I meant other people place montana and elway ahead b/c they have rings.

I would take Marino over both of them.

:eek2: opps sorry my bad! I get a little :crazy: on this subject! :peace:

FlyingElvis said:
I'd take Elway.

Watching Marino carve up a defense was quite a sight. It always amazed me, even with cement feet, how he felt pressure in the pocket and just sidestepped enough to find an open target.

But Davis or not, Elway had a magic that was special. He was the complete package. Great arm, could run, and had a flare for the dramatic, pulling out late wins.

From the eighties on, I'd say:

1. Montana 2. Elway 3. Marino 4. Favre

I'm probably shortchanging someone. I might put Steve Young ahead of Favre. Favre makes too many bonehead plays.

Knowing what I know now, I would agree.
Marino is the best passer, but there are other intangibles you need other than pure passing skills. I'm not sold on Marino's leadership and/or motivational skills. I think Elway edges him out in that respect.

Marino expects to do it all himself....while Elway influences the team around him to play better than they are.

Superself said:
Knowing what I know now, I would agree.
Marino is the best passer, but there are other intangibles you need other than pure passing skills. I'm not sold on Marino's leadership and/or motivational skills. I think Elway edges him out in that respect.

Marino expects to do it all himself....while Elway influences the team around him to play better than they are.

That is true Marino did like to do it all himself! I think a lot of that had to do with the fact since the Marks brothers he never really had anyone to help him out so he had to do it all himself! Good Point though!

Marino. Because he was physically more talented but without talent around him he'd be assed out just as Elway would be. I think Marino has done more with a hell of alot less in his career than Elway, so I'd say Marino everyday....

AZPHINFAN75 said:
Thats not true, I saw Marino get rushed like that several times against the best defense ever(1985 Chicago Bears) and he seem do do pretty damn good
in that game. Marino had a few good OL's in his time but they werent the only reason he always had the fewest sacks on him. He rarely held the ball as long as Griese did in that game. So you are just flat out Wrong. :D

Ya, marino was pretty good about "sensing" pressure. The point I was making was that on THAT particular play, Freeney was so fast and quick that Ricky couldn't even get a block on him and marino may not have been able to sdo anything about it even.

Dan Marino

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS :D

• First among NFL's All-Time leaders in touchdown passes (420), 1983-1999.
• First among NFL's All-Time leaders in total yards passing (61,361), 1983-99.
• First among NFL's All-Time leaders in pass attempts (8,358), 1983-99.
• First among NFL's All-Time leaders in pass completions (4,967), 1983-99.
• Started all 16 games throwing for 3,497 yards and 23 touchdowns, 1998.
• Finished the 1997 season with 3,780 yards and 11 touchdown passes.
• First Quarterback in NFL history to record six 4,000 yard seasons, 1984-86, '88, '92, '94. Dan Fouts (three) and Warren Moon (three) are the only other QB's to have multiple 4,000 yard seasons.
• Holds NFL record for most seasons with over 3,000 yards passing (12), 1983-98.
• Threw for 521 yards vs. New York Jets on October 23, 2nd highest total in NFL history, 1988.
• Established NFL record as only QB to pass for 40 or more TD's in two different seasons, 1984 & 1986.
• Established NFL record as only QB to pass for 30 or more TD's in three different seasons, and did so consecutively, 1984, 1985, 1986.
• Holds NFL record for consecutive playoff games with a touchdown pass (12).
• Holds NFL record with 19 four touchdown games, 1983-95.
• Has won AFC Offensive Player of the Week more times (16) than any other player since the award was established, 1984-1994.
• Formed most prolific Quarterback/Wide Receiver duo in NFL history with teammate Mark Clayton establishing an NFL Record for touchdown pass combinations (79) 1983-92.
• Leads active NFL quarterbacks in Pro Bowl Selections with nine, 1983-1987, 1991-1992, 1994, 1995.
• Threw 200th touchdown pass in 89 games, faster than any other quarterback in league history, 1983-1989.
• Has passed for over 300 yards in 61 regular season games, 1983-1998.
• Has passed over 400 yards in 14 regular season games, 1983-1995.
• Threw for 100 touchdown passes in 44 games, faster than any other player.
• Threw at least one touchdown pass in 30 consecutive games, second longest streak in NFL history, 1986-1987.
• Only quarterback in the league to throw a touchdown pass in every game of the season, 1986.
• NFL Most Valuable Player, 1984.
• In his first full season as Dolphins quarterback set NFL records for single season touchdown passes (48) and yardage (5,084), 1984.
• Only rookie quarterback to ever start the Pro Bowl, 1983.

Dan Marino stands head and shoulders above every quarterback to play the game. Need proof … listed below are standings among the All-Time Greats in touchdown passes, yardage, attempts, and completions. Statistics compiled through the 1999 season.

TOUCHDOWN PASSES: Dan Marino 420; Fran Tarkenton 342; Johnny Unitas 290.

YARDS PASSING: Dan Marino 61,361; Fran Tarkenton 47,003; Dan Fouts 43,040.

PASS ATTEMPTS: Dan Marino 8,358; Fran Tarkenton 6,467; Dan Fouts 5,604.

COMPLETIONS: Dan Marino 4,967; Fran Tarkenton 3,686; Dan Fouts 3,297.

John Elway

College Highlights? :lol:

I'd say Dan strictly because he was the offense. Barely had any running backs and after the Mark's brothers left he barely had any decent receivers. This question will always be out there due to the lack of Superbowl rings Marino doesn't have and the number that Montana and Elway have. However; Dan was never surrounded by even half the talent on either side of the ball. I am biased though he was my favorite player.

Back
Top Bottom