Marino or Elway? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino or Elway?

DeDolfan said:
in all honesty, it would greatly depend on the other players on the team.
marino would not stand a chance with the OL we had last yr.

Even with our OL from last year Marino would have done well. His quick release made O-linemen look better than they were sometimes.

Dan may not have a ring like Elway(1 of the best all time QB's), but he was still a little better QB in all areas except running.

Are u kidding me? marino is prime would beat elway anyday. sadly i didn't see marino in his prim(born during the downsdide years) :cry: but my brother did and said marino was a machine. i'll take his word for it and pick marino

FlyingElvis said:
I'd take Elway.

But Davis or not, Elway had a magic that was special. He was the complete package. Great arm, could run, and had a flare for the dramatic, pulling out late wins.

Marino had more than his share of come-from-behind wins too...

Elway had more talent surrounding him, yet never attained anything CLOSE to the passing records Dan achieved.
Dan was THE best pure passer football has ever seen, hands down... as far as all around QB... I doubt there would be a clear-cut winner there. Probably a tie between Marino, Elway, Montana, and Young.

AZPHINFAN75 said:
Even with our OL from last year Marino would have done well. His quick release made O-linemen look better than they were sometimes.

Dan may not have a ring like Elway(1 of the best all time QB's), but he was still a little better QB in all areas except running.

remember that one play in the 4th qtr against the colts ly where Ricky was supposed to help Smith block freeney? freeneyt was arou8nd smith so fast and blindsided griese b4 Ricky could even get over in time. Even a quick release wouldn't have helped that. That one p[lay may very well have cost us that game and with that one play may have cost us the playoffs and "ultimately the SB"!! :D

yea the ol was s*** last year, and not suited for a pocket passer like Griese. i think behind a line like that even the great Marino would have trouble

DeDolfan said:
remember that one play in the 4th qtr against the colts ly where Ricky was supposed to help Smith block freeney? freeneyt was arou8nd smith so fast and blindsided griese b4 Ricky could even get over in time. Even a quick release wouldn't have helped that. That one p[lay may very well have cost us that game and with that one play may have cost us the playoffs and "ultimately the SB"!! :D

Thats not true, I saw Marino get rushed like that several times against the best defense ever(1985 Chicago Bears) and he seem do do pretty damn good
in that game. Marino had a few good OL's in his time but they werent the only reason he always had the fewest sacks on him. He rarely held the ball as long as Griese did in that game. So you are just flat out Wrong. :D

ok sorry, only 14 never got to see games like that, so i don't know how well he was in his prime. maybe ur right maybe he could have played well w/ a line like that in his prime. imo however he couldn't in the last couple of years. correct me if i'm wrong but didn't he take more of a beating than usual for him in his last years as a dolphin? :confused:

Wrong!!!!

Joe Montana every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

It's the rings boys!!! Montana won every significant game he played in.

FinSinceBirth said:
ok sorry, only 14 never got to see games like that, so i don't know how well he was in his prime. maybe ur right maybe he could have played well w/ a line like that in his prime. imo however he couldn't in the last couple of years. correct me if i'm wrong but didn't he take more of a beating than usual for him in his last years as a dolphin? :confused:

Yes he did, the oline and the weren't as good and of course age was catching up to him. You cant forget Elway had arguably the best Oline in dever for the last 5 years of his career. His OL was always one of the bestin the league. Elway had a much better team aroun him at the end of his career than Dan.

FlyingElvis said:
Because he reminds me of Tom Brady! :evil: Kidding!! :)

I know you guys aren't big on the rings for liking a QB, but Montana has too many for it to be an accident. He elevated the players around him. I don't necessarily believe the argument that the players around him were more talented, so thats why he was successful. Its kind of like the chicken and the egg story. I think a guy like Montana made those around him better because he was so good at distributing the ball. Great decision maker, seemed like he had 4 eyes. No one, ever could survey a defense and go to the right receiver like Montana.

Joe Montana was the Jason Kidd of football. He might not have many 400 yard, or 5 TD pass games, but you would have 5 or 6 guys with 3 or more catches.
Just look at Montana's Super Bowl stats. 4 games and ZERO, I repeat ZERO interceptions. Nobody will repeat that...EVER!!!

baracuda said:
Joe Montana every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

It's the rings boys!!! Montana won every significant game he played in.

Last time I checked the 49ers won those SB's he played in not the Montana's. :D And he did lose a playoff game with the chiefs to the Dolphins and Marino. :tongue:

Danny... Hands down. But consider this... Marino, Elway, Montana and Unitas are considered the Quarterbacks of the Century. All three of the QB's have said that Marino was the man.

AZPHINFAN75 said:
Last time I checked the 49ers won those SB's he played in not the Montana's. :D And he did lose a playoff game with the chiefs to the Dolphins and Marino. :tongue:
Yeah, and what was Marino's last game? 62-7 against the Jags?

Don't give me that late career bad game crap. Montana at his best would beat ANYONE.

Look at it this way - Montana met Marino in SB 19. Who won that game...easily? If Marino was so good, in his BEST year, then why did Montana and the Niners totally dominate Marino and the Dolphins in that game?

Remember back in '84 when all Dolphins fans were so convinced that no one could beat the Dolphins (including me) that the Super Bowl was a foregone conclusion. Meanwhile, the Niners were quietly 15-1 and went about their business picking apart the Dolphins all over the place.

Montana beat Marino head to head in their primes. Enough said.

Hands down in there prime id go with Elway. Marino was the better passer but the better ovr QB was Elway with his mobility and his arm to spread the field and riffle a bomb to whom ever. Elway only had talent aroun him his last 2 years and thats y he did win 2 superbowls. But if you look back at the years he lost in the superbowl there was not much talent except for #7 himself. If marino was the better qb he would have gotten back to the superbowl if he was truly the better qb over elway. I live here in denver and watched both qb's in their prime. I loved every moment of it and cant wait to go to Canton later on this year and watch elway be inducted in the the Hall of Fame.

Back
Top Bottom