Matt Burke: Press confernce doesn't exactly inspire confidence | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Burke: Press confernce doesn't exactly inspire confidence

You may be versed in the generalities of the supposed scheme, but the fact remains that you don't know about the situational preference for Burke and his level of aggressiveness in the scheme.

The level of aggressiveness is limited by the scheme. Year in and year out, history proves it to be the lowest blitz percentage defense. Most likely around 10%, and no more than 15%. Every scheme has it's limitations in what it can do and what it can do successfully. Blitzing too much out of this scheme leaves many vulnerabilities in favor of the short passing game which is obviously the prevalent choice of attack for the majority of today's offenses. When Burke says we'll go away from the zone blitz, the primary tactics for us to be aggressive besides front 4 pressure are to stunt/twist the d-line, and sugar the A gaps w/ the LBs.

The scheme, especially in combination of the stream line talk, relies on pass coverage execution by the back 7 to cover long enough for the front 4 pressure to get home. Every scheme has it's advantages/disadvantages and strengths/limitations. We're not an aggressive defense by way of blitzing, we're aggressive by allowing the defensive line to hunt the QB. It's how were built by scheme, and player prototype and skillset. It's just how it is.

14 years NFL coaching experience that has seen him progressively promoted and some of you are perturbed that he is softly spoken. Matt Burke is Adam Gase's choice as Defensive Coordinator, he's not auditioning to be his baritone in the Dolphin barber shop quartet, although he may need a shave.

Career information
College: Dartmouth

Career history
As coach:

Bridgton Academy (1998–1999)
Assistant coach

Boston College (2000–2002)
Graduate assistant

Harvard (2003)
Assistant coach

Tennessee Titans (2004–2005)
Administrative assistant

Tennessee Titans (2006–2008)
Defense quality control coach

Detroit Lions (2009–2013)
Linebackers coach

Cincinnati Bengals (2014–2015)
Linebackers coach

Miami Dolphins (2016)
Linebackers coach

Miami Dolphins (2017–present)
Defensive Coordinator

Last edited by a moderator:
14 years NFL coaching experience that has seen him progressively promoted and some of you are perturbed that he is softly spoken. Matt Burke is Adam Gase's choice as Defensive Coordinator, he's not auditioning to be his baritone in the Dolphin barber shop quartet, although he may need a shave.

Career information
College:Dartmouth

Career history
As coach:

Bridgton Academy (1998–1999)
Assistant coach

Boston College (2000–2002)
Graduate assistant

Harvard (2003)
Assistant coach

Administrative assistant

Linebackers coach

Linebackers coach

Miami Dolphins (2016)
Linebackers coach

Defensive Coordinator

:lol:

Good points made, and the baritone part made me laugh.

---------- Post added at 03:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 AM ----------

We'll see we didn't have NFL quality starters at LB last year with Paysinger and Butler

Can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh*t like Gary Stephens famously said.

In response to new D.C. Following old DCs plans: Wow, I sure hope you are wrong. Otherwise Vegas is right at 7.5 wins.

I don't mean to judge people that do. It's the only Dolphins stuff happening right now and for a while. I just got tired of the regurgitated comments, cliches, and lack of any real info. I don't blame them. Why would you want to give any info whatsoever to your opponents? And if tone in press conferences mattered, the pats would be perennial losers.

Uh I see it totally different. BB's total commitment to his team by his disregard for the media comes across loud and clear in most every presser I have ever witnessed. If he ever started showing the press respect I would know his run was over. Getting along with press that only wants to stir up trouble by starting or breaking a story of your demise is not the people I would want a coach to spend a lot of time trying to get along with.

14 years NFL coaching experience

Administrative assistant

Linebackers coach

Linebackers coach

Miami Dolphins (2016)
Linebackers coach

Defensive Coordinator

I probably wouldn't count the Administrative Assistant years as coaching, otherwise my secretary will think she's ready for an NFL head coach gig since she's got more years than any of us.

Uh I see it totally different. BB's total commitment to his team by his disregard for the media comes across loud and clear in most every presser I have ever witnessed. If he ever started showing the press respect I would know his run was over. Getting along with press that only wants to stir up trouble by starting or breaking a story of your demise is not the people I would want a coach to spend a lot of time trying to get along with.

And yet, there have been successful coaches who get along just fine with the dastardly media. Means literally nothing. It says absolutely nothing about coaching ability.

Burke takes trips in the off season to climb mountains in far away countries. He must be single, I can see saying to my wife, I'll see you in a few month after I climb Mt. Kilimajaro! He doesn't have the tough exterior of a Defensive Football Coach. He doesn't look like a former player like Jack Lambert or Ronnie Lott. He must be the new generation of coach who uses analytics etc. He better be able to breathe fire on the sideline if he has to. He better be a leader and his d better stop the damn run.

None of this makes any damn sense.

Blabble, blabble, blabble.

What if his wife climbs with him? Here's a secret, woman love to go outside other than to the mall.

We have to look at last year objectively. We had no talent at LB out side of Kiko, our final 4 games we had 1st year starters playing cb, Jones was on the IR, IAQ finished on ir, 1 starting DE got cut and the other was inactive for underachieving, and we had two starter Rambo and Butler whom weren't on a roster the first few games of the season. Oh yeah and our offense were the worst in the NFL in snaps, so the defense never got a rest.

There were some positives...30th in yards allowed but 18th in points allowed, and 11th in turnovers. There wasn't a lot of talent, but they over achieved, and got us to the playoffs. This year we have added a lot of talent, so hopefully it can be turned around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harris is known to bite on misdirection plays. It will be up to our Mike to contain the run between the Tackle and guards.

In the passing game, if our rush does not get there, it will leave more short secondary route options open. During the Cameron and Sparano year's it was said our offense was predictable and vanilla. I hope that is not the trend for our D.

It's peculiar how Gase's philosophy for defense is to preserve a lead. That seems to be the reason why he favors the wide nine scheme.

Makes me wonder if this philosophy has seen long term success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this could be a thread of its own probably, but with our current personnel what could potentially be the most effective scheme on defense? we have 3 bonafide studs out there, we should be cracking asses.

None of this makes any damn sense.

Blabble, blabble, blabble.

What if his wife climbs with him? Here's a secret, woman love to go outside other than to the mall.

I love how people act like they know Burke after a 15 minute press conference. Or they try to bring his personal life into the equation of being a successful coach

I love how people act like they know Burke after a 15 minute press conference. Or they try to bring his personal life into the equation of being a successful coach

You have to understand, most people's personal interaction is with a coach is with their high school coach...some are good, some are poor. I do know a lot who think yelling is the way to win games, the get used to that standard, maybe it helped them win a district title. I have work with all sorts of coaches... the most successful high coach won 5 state titles and rarely was a yeller...

In the end, it good coaching it not a "one size fits all"...all different types of coaching win, there are a ton of ways to connect with the players and get them to buy in, that is what will lead to wins....and talent. Talent helps a hell of a lot.

Back
Top Bottom