Matt Burke: Press confernce doesn't exactly inspire confidence | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Burke: Press confernce doesn't exactly inspire confidence

I like listening to the press conferences, it sure beats the regurgitated perspective crap of the reporters.

You have to understand, most people's personal interaction is with a coach is with their high school coach...some are good, some are poor. I do know a lot who think yelling is the way to win games, the get used to that standard, maybe it helped them win a district title. I have work with all sorts of coaches... the most successful high coach won 5 state titles and rarely was a yeller...

In the end, it good coaching it not a "one size fits all"...all different types of coaching win, there are a ton of ways to connect with the players and get them to buy in, that is what will lead to wins....and talent. Talent helps a hell of a lot.

Well said. I always preferred a cool calm demeanor but you still knew that a lack of of effort or anything in that realm wasn't going to slide or get past their great attention to detail. Never had much respect for a head coach or coach that was high strung and yelled at everything. There's a time and place for that. There are those with a balance b/w the two as well. I have no issue with Burke's personality or the way he presents himself. As you explained it has nothing to do with winning. It's how you get across to and connect with your players that matters most.

Don't forget the addition of Fox to the staff, that Rams defense was legit as well as the Saints defense he's been a part of.

Don't forget the addition of Fox to the staff, that Rams defense was legit as well as the Saints defense he's been a part of.

Joe Vitt. :up: Gase's father in law and he comes as a consultant.

Now...if Burke talked like this guy, I'd be concerned... ;-) Guys would be rolling day one in the defensive meeting room. :-)

http://www.miamidolphins.com/multim...-Defense/bb65b999-7457-439b-b091-4be2b3018801

Very soft-spoken guy. I was wrong about Gase and I hope I'm wrong about this guy.

He blames poor tackling for poor run defense last year. Well whose job is it to improve tackling, coach? Especially for LBs, LB coach?

1) It's May, what do you want him yelling and screaming in May for no reason?
2) Poor tackling was the reason
3) coaches can only do so much, if the LB's are crap they are crap and you can only coach them up or improve them so much. Lombardi couldn't teach some of those linebackers to tackle well

3) coaches can only do so much, if the LB's are crap they are crap and you can only coach them up or improve them so much. Lombardi couldn't teach some of those linebackers to tackle well

If these guys just can't tackle, then why are they on the team? Who did the research on them and decided that they'd be a good fit? I know most were back-ups, but you don't sign guys who can't tackle! The worst part is that the people who thought these guys were NFL-worthy are still in the personnel department. On the other hand, maybe the defensive schemes are crap and the players just aren't in position to make those tackles.

Hmm, i only watched 2/3 of video but i thought burke came off very well. From previous posts i expected an uncomfortable mumbler or something. He came off as confident to me. Not in a ra ra sort of way but definitely self assured in front of camera. I like how he explained his previous experiences with wide 9 and how it has been top 5 against the run everywhere else so there is no reson to believe it has some sort of problems against run. Our linebackers were terrible and rashad was hurt. No depth... I have no doubt tackling and speed were issue

Hmm, i only watched 2/3 of video but i thought burke came off very well. From previous posts i expected an uncomfortable mumbler or something. He came off as confident to me. Not in a ra ra sort of way but definitely self assured in front of camera. I like how he explained his previous experiences with wide 9 and how it has been top 5 against the run everywhere else so there is no reson to believe it has some sort of problems against run. Our linebackers were terrible and rashad was hurt. No depth... I have no doubt tackling and speed were issue

That's simply not true. It has never been a top 5 scheme against the run; not in Tennessee, not in Detroit, not in Cincinnati. Truth is it is almost always in the bottom half (if not bottom 5 or 10) in the league in yards per attempt.

That's simply not true. It has never been a top 5 scheme against the run; not in Tennessee, not in Detroit, not in Cincinnati. Truth is it is almost always in the bottom half (if not bottom 5 or 10) in the league in yards per attempt.

Too bad you weren't at the press conference.

SoS: "Coach, I have data here that says you're full of sh*t. Thoughts?"

Too bad you weren't at the press conference.

SoS: "Coach, I have data here that says you're full of sh*t. Thoughts?"

I think we both know the benefits of questioning beliefs passed down by elders that we're thrown at us from an early age. :up:

Burke needs to look beyond the simple and erroneous teachings of the gym shorts philosophies, develop his own identity, and adapt to the multiplicity of modern times. He seems as enamored and entrenched in a single concept as Schwartz is despite it being a run defending tactic used by Belichick to stop a specific set of run plays (outside stretch), vs a specific team (Indianapolis Colts), during a specific period of time ('98' - '01).

I think we both know the benefits of questioning beliefs passed down by elders that we're thrown at us from an early age. :up:

Burke needs to look beyond the simple and erroneous teachings of the gym shorts philosophies, develop his own identity, and adapt to the multiplicity of modern times. He seems as enamored and entrenched in a single concept as Schwartz is despite it being a run defending tactic used by Belichick to stop a specific set of run plays (outside stretch), vs a specific team (Indianapolis Colts), during a specific period of time ('98' - '01).

We'll see. If he's a good coach, he'll adapt. If he's Olivadotti 2.0, we're in trouble. At least until he's fired.

We'll see. If he's a good coach, he'll adapt. If he's Olivadotti 2.0, we're in trouble. At least until he's fired.

There's little evidence of that so far. Called the "wide 9" a defense :bobdole:, will blitz less just like his mentor Schwartz who has always been last in the league for blitz percentage, and is streamlining the defense in a time where multiple offenses thrive and disguise & confusion is a defense's best friend. I don't have much faith. :idk:

Back
Top Bottom