Matt Flynn Vs Matt Moore thread | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Flynn Vs Matt Moore thread

No they all suck as starters....I hope NY Keeps Sanchez for exactly the same reasons I don't want Henne or Moore as a starter. Man it is not rocket science.

I know it's not rocket science. Here is my feeling. I like Moore's aggressive nature his deep balls and his touch but agree with many of the critics here about his crappy ball placement and ineptitude under pressure. Of course his fumbling is a huge negative as well. Of course I'd love to see us end up with Andrew Luck, but that seems highly unlikely. Flynn has looked good in his 2 starts, watched every snap in the NE game last year and was impressed, maybe he's an option. Just seen many backup QB's get big money and fail miserably.

480 yards and 6 tds off one week of 1st string reps...against a team who was dying to win so they could avoid going to new orleans next week...which is a death trap...and in snowy conditions...

that ****s money

I know it's not rocket science. Here is my feeling. I like Moore's aggressive nature his deep balls and his touch but agree with many of the critics here about his crappy ball placement and ineptitude under pressure. Of course his fumbling is a huge negative as well. Of course I'd love to see us end up with Andrew Luck, but that seems highly unlikely. Flynn has looked good in his 2 starts, watched every snap in the NE game last year and was impressed, maybe he's an option. Just seen many backup QB's get big money and fail miserably.

That`s why you bring in coaches that know him in and out. HC J.Philbin and OC T.Clements would bring GB`s offense and terminology making Flynns transition smoother.

Hey we got a guy who has been in the league 5 years and was 6-7 in games he played this year against sub par competition and had 16 TDs to 14 fumbles without a single win against a winning team.....Reply...you are just saying that because you supported Henne. Freaking pathetic! I guess when you know there is no way around that, you have to resort to something.

Been in the league 5 years?? You say that like Flynn is a rookie. Flynn started in 08, Moore in 07 and Moore missed a whole year so really they have been in the league the same amount of time. Before today Flynn had a Career QB rating of 68.1 and had thrown more INT(4) than TDs (3). Even today he had two obvious picks dropped.

Flynn is NOT the answer to anyones starting QB position. I am not 100% sold on Moore and want very badly to trade up to get Luck or RG3, but if it comes down to Moore or Flynn I will take Moore in a second. I remember Scott Mitchell filling in for Danny and looking like we hadn't missed a beat either. Then he goes to the Lions and he wasn't Marino. People you can't base something on one game. I don't want him on this team. I would take JP Loseman over Flynn.

well thats interesting...i'll have to take a look at todays pack game to see what flynn actually looked like...have to admit i didn't watch the game

however the jp losman talk over flynn is frankly just damn dumb...

Bro, I will say this. I would give the nod to Moore over Henne but not by a lot. Also, there are a lot of worse QBs out there than Moore. If we can't swing Flynn or Manning or a draft trade up for Luck or RG3....I think Moore will be our starter. I just don't see a lot of options beyond that. I am not a Moore fan as a starter, but I am also not a guy who hope he fails so that I can be right. I don't like what I have seen so far as a whole. He has made some really pretty passes and the TD today was a nice play to keep the play alive....How ever, Henne also made some throws that made you go wow. If Moore is our starter, I will complain some but fully support him. I just want to win! I am so tired of 7-9 and 6-10! I just want to be a contender again!

KTOWNFINFAN;1064151174 Been in the league 5 years?? You say that like Flynn is a rookie. Flynn started in 08 said:
That really wasn't in reference to Flynn....it was in reference to Moore having to step in and play this year and people acting like he is a rookie...He isn't.

i really dont understand why people all the sudden want flynn so badly.

im all for competition at the qb position, im all for drafting a qb to compete with moore, that would be completely fair, but matt flynn?

this is typical overreaction to a guy who played one very very very good game.

id be a fool to take anything away from him today, because he threw for almost 500 yds, 6 tds, and he was efficent, it wasnt some like 29-60 game where he compiled garbage yds. he was very accurate and good today, cant take that away from him.

but lets be real. hes played in 3 games over the past 2 years. game 1- he came in for rodgers in the 2nd qtr last year vs the lions, and i believe they scored 3 pts in a loss to the lions.

he then played vs the pats and although his stats looked good, he didnt seem to awe me so much, and they lost the game, and i believe the game was capped off with flynn being sacked, but dont remember vaguely.

today, we went over, he was lights out, cant take that away.

however, matt flynn would demand lots of money, this wouldnt be a matt moore situation where he would cost us only 2 million a year or so. I will admit i have not been a flynn guy, and although i dont think he will turn into anything special, maybe he will prove me wrong.

that being said, i am not throwing crazy money at a guy who has not proven **** yet as a consistent starter in the nfl. maybe its not his fault because hes been stuck behind rodgers, but still, im not going to just throw crazy money at him, just like a kevin kolb. qbs have great games, heck ken obrien once went toe to toe with dan the man and beat him in that epic shootout vs the jets. what did that due for his career really?

i know its a small example, but just because he had one stellar game, hes got to show a lot more consistently. today he was great, his other 2 starts not so much.

i hope we dont throw crazy money at him, and let a team like the skins do so.

i know many people on here dont like moore, and maybe he is nothing more than mediocre at best, but despite flynns game today, i really dont see him being that much an improvement from moore, and considering we have moore on the cheap next year, i rather draft a qb who would be a lot cheaper than flynn prob and let them both fight it out, rather than give a guy like flynn big money.

yeah...i've seen the highlights...which are darn impressive...the 2 minute drill drive for the game winning td and back shoulder in the tight red zone td throw to finley among all the others...but i haven't seen the overall play...that said hard to believe this kid craps the bed when he gets his chance off what i'm seeing

all i know is i've seen this kid start 2 times now and he's made a bunch of plays in both of em...i'm a show me guy and when i have seen him he's shown me plenty

When did Rob Johnson and Kevin Kolb throw for 6 td's and almost 500 yards in one game?

Kevin Kolb had a couple of 400 yard games and some big passing games for Philly.

I do think Flynn is better than Kolb/Rob Johnson, but I think it's important not to go crazy for a really good team/offense's backup QB. Green Bay has a lot of talent on the offensive side that maybe 2 or 3 teams in the NFL have. They also have had a lot of continuity which helps backups like Flynn.

I'd be down to trade or sign for Flynn if we could bring in Clements because he wouldn't have a learning curve for a new offense. Bringing him into an entirely new offense is a big roll of the dice and one that I'd rather take on trying to trade for Luck or RGIII.

Moore is a very good backup. Why haven't we learned the lesson not to desperately try to make someone something they're not? We've been doing that at QB for a decade. If we only go into next year with Matt as starter then that's a mistake. Flynn is something of a wildcard. But in that unknown is the potential for a quality starter. Backups for good teams always look good when they're placed in systems they know, but Flynn is uniquely good. I can't help but be intrigued with Flynn's success when he steps in. He's much better than just good. He goes bananas when he starts.

56 replies and not a single objective analysis.

Can I have the last 30 seconds of my life back?

i really dont understand why people all the sudden want flynn so badly.

im all for competition at the qb position, im all for drafting a qb to compete with moore, that would be completely fair, but matt flynn?

this is typical overreaction to a guy who played one very very very good game.

id be a fool to take anything away from him today, because he threw for almost 500 yds, 6 tds, and he was efficent, it wasnt some like 29-60 game where he compiled garbage yds. he was very accurate and good today, cant take that away from him.

but lets be real. hes played in 3 games over the past 2 years. game 1- he came in for rodgers in the 2nd qtr last year vs the lions, and i believe they scored 3 pts in a loss to the lions.

he then played vs the pats and although his stats looked good, he didnt seem to awe me so much, and they lost the game, and i believe the game was capped off with flynn being sacked, but dont remember vaguely.

today, we went over, he was lights out, cant take that away.

however, matt flynn would demand lots of money, this wouldnt be a matt moore situation where he would cost us only 2 million a year or so. I will admit i have not been a flynn guy, and although i dont think he will turn into anything special, maybe he will prove me wrong.

that being said, i am not throwing crazy money at a guy who has not proven **** yet as a consistent starter in the nfl. maybe its not his fault because hes been stuck behind rodgers, but still, im not going to just throw crazy money at him, just like a kevin kolb. qbs have great games, heck ken obrien once went toe to toe with dan the man and beat him in that epic shootout vs the jets. what did that due for his career really?

i know its a small example, but just because he had one stellar game, hes got to show a lot more consistently. today he was great, his other 2 starts not so much.

i hope we dont throw crazy money at him, and let a team like the skins do so.

i know many people on here dont like moore, and maybe he is nothing more than mediocre at best, but despite flynns game today, i really dont see him being that much an improvement from moore, and considering we have moore on the cheap next year, i rather draft a qb who would be a lot cheaper than flynn prob and let them both fight it out, rather than give a guy like flynn big money.
It's not just the numbers that are impressive. His ball placement is much better then Moore's, he has tremendous vision and is very calm in the pocket. I only saw him a couple times at LSU and now twice in the NFL and he looks like he belongs in charge when he is on the field. I need to do some reading on his relationships and leadership abilities with teammates I admit, but damn he impresses me.

The point about the money is moot because drafting a QB high would be no different in terms of contract and you would be paying it to a kid who has never taken a snap in the NFL. In his two starts he played a terrific game at New England losing in the end and then yesterday. How many QBs win in New England in their first start? Not many I'll bet.

I have been hoping Joe Philbin gets an interview because I love the system they have installed up there. If hired he could have the influence to bring Flynn to the Phins. I don't know the relationship between Philbin, Clements and Flynn but if it is good, you have to take a serious look at a package deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flynn threw for 480 yards, 6 tds, 1 pick, 70.5% completion percentage, and 136.4 QB rating on the Lions 4th ranked passing defense in the league. Pretty damn good numbers. It is only one game, but talk about a guy who took his last 2 starts in the league and made something of it. I wouldn't mind bringing him in for the right price and have him battle with Moore. Flynn now owns the record for most passing yards and most td passes in a game in a Packers uniform. He showed that he has the ability to hit almost every pass be it dump off, mid range, and a well placed deep ball. It's both funny and kind of a travesty that Flynn's name will be in the Packers' record book instead of Rodgers or Farve because of one freakish game.

Moore didn't have a good week but had an epic drive that eventually led to the win. Before this week Moore was the 11th ranked QB in the league. That's actually pretty damn impressive too. It's hard to compare Flynn and Moore. Moore has much more experience in the league and on this team and Flynn is an unknown. I like what I saw in Flynn today and if we do end up getting him with Tom Clements that could likely be an upgrade. Moore did exactly what I expected him to do at the end of this season. He kind of flopped towards the end of the Pats game, but bounced back with THE one great drive that ended up winning the game against the Jets.

Do the Dolphins go with the hot hand journeyman in Moore or the unknown, one freakish start in Flynn? That is gonna be the topic of debate this off-season.

Back
Top Bottom