McClain afraid of combine? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McClain afraid of combine?

honestly, weatherspoon is looking more like willis than mcclain. and we all know we shoulda took willis that year.

he's absolutely beasting the entire pre draft process starting during sr bowl week

Like I said, if he runs a 4.8, it will look bad. If he runs around a 4.6, nobody is even going to remember he didn't run in the combine because of a hammy.

And my whole point is, how will it look bad? Like I have said, nobody is expecting him to run a great 40 anyways... Why not run? Again, it is very convenient that it is reported minutes before the LB's run that he has a hammy injury.

And my whole point is, how will it look bad? Like I have said, nobody is expecting him to run a great 40 anyways... Why not run? Again, it is very convenient that it is reported minutes before the LB's run that he has a hammy injury.
So by that logic Dez Bryant us scared to run in the combine as well as Spikes.

honestly, weatherspoon is looking more like willis than mcclain. and we all know we shoulda took willis that year.

he's absolutely beasting the entire pre draft process starting during sr bowl week
Weatherspoon really looks nothing like Willis and may not even be drafted in the 1st round. Of course McClain doesn't look like Willis, two totally different skillsets.

So by that logic Dez Bryant us scared to run in the combine as well as Spikes.

No because Bryant's injury was known well before the combine started. Not to mention he never had questions about his athleticism... As for spikes who knows. I really do not care about him because he is not getting as much blind love on this board as McClain.

No because Bryant's injury was known well before the combine started. Not to mention he never had questions about his athleticism... As for spikes who knows. I really do not care about him because he is not getting as much blind love on this board as McClain.
Blind love. McClain is hands down the best ILB prospect in the draft. That's not really even a debate considering the next best might not even be drafted in the 1st round.

don't get me wrong, i like dez and want him to be there at 12, but if anything, people are questioning his 40 time

• Read & React: Excellent key-and-diagnose skills. Identifies the play quickly and has little to no wasted motion in getting to the action. Rarely fooled by misdirection. Recognizes screens quickly and attacks before linemen have a chance to set up blocks. Dedicated and he has to be kicked out of the film room.
  • Run defense: Prototypical size and strength for inside linebacker. Instinctive. Takes good angles to the ball. Good vision and balance to flow through the trash. Great strength in his hands to stack and shed blockers. Tall enough to locate the ballcarrier while being blocked and can forcefully toss the blocker to the side to make the play. Has good, not great speed lateral and straight-line speed to the sideline. Faster on the field than in workouts because of his instincts.
  • Pass defense: Gains good depth in his drops, but is stiff and struggles a bit changing direction to stay with receivers in man coverage. Alert in zone and shows good route recognition. Closes on the ball quickly. Long arms and quick hands to slap away the pass as it arrives. At least adequate ball skills (five career INTs).
  • Tackling: True thumper that can be an intimidating force in the middle. Classic hit-lift-drive tackler with the strength to knock the ballcarrier off his feet with the long arms to wrap around for the secure stop. Breaks down well in space to make the sure stop against smaller, quicker ballcarriers. Good hustle laterally, though he can give up too easily in pursuit downfield.
  • Pass Rush/Blitz: Great size and closing speed but he isn't there yet. Times his blitz well and gets skinny to get through the line of scrimmage. Doesn't show enough hand technique to disengage as a pass rusher. Relies on his bull rush to push the pocket and is strong enough for this to be effective. Savvy enough to get his hands up in the passing lanes when he can't get to the quarterback in time.
  • Intangibles: Described as a film junkie and defensive coordinator on the field. Is characterized as not only knowing his assignment on every defensive call, but also the job of every defensive teammate. Incredibly competitive. Never missed a game at Alabama. Voted a team captain in 2009 as a junior.
This how NFL scouts view McClain....how does running at the combine change
his body of work at Alabama?

Blind love. McClain is hands down the best ILB prospect in the draft. That's not really even a debate considering the next best might not even be drafted in the 1st round.

He maybe the "best" ILB prospect in this class. But what does that say about the class? I have not been impressed by this group of ILB's at all. And he probably will be the first ILB drafted. And he may even go into the top 15. Does that mean that he deserves it? Every year people go higher or lower that what they should. I personally believe that he is not worth a first rounder. He has not shown his athleticism on tape and he is not showing it at the combine.

He maybe the "best" ILB prospect in this class. But what does that say about the class? I have not been impressed by this group of ILB's at all. And he probably will be the first ILB drafted. And he may even go into the top 15. Does that mean that he deserves it? Every year people go higher or lower that what they should. I personally believe that he is not worth a first rounder. He has not shown his athleticism on tape and he is not showing it at the combine.
He is worth every bit of a top 15 pick to a 3-4 team. A 4-3 team not so much.

Back
Top Bottom