McClain afraid of combine? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McClain afraid of combine?

Spikes has a lot more to hide than McClain does.....Spikes didn't even bench.....I've previously mentioned several times that I didn't think Spikes could get the bar up more than 15-17 times or so....

McClain locked out 24.......Willis only did 22 reps at the combine....and Dansby? Well he only did 15....and that was at his pro day...

All this doesn't have a damn thing to do with how good of a football player you are.....all this is about is money and draft position...

Slimm, what is with Mayocks love of Pierre-Paul? Is he any more athletic than Johnson from GT last year? And he went in the 3rd was it?

I have no idea Zach....I've never figured out why anybody loved Pierre-Paul that much.....Hell I liked Michael Johnson better as a prospect.....

The one thing Pierre-Paul supposedly had going for him was his tremendous wingspan and arm length....and his arms are only an 1 1/2" longer than Eric Berry's...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not idea Zach....I've never figured out why anybody loved Pierre-Paul that much.....Hell I liked Michael Johnson better as a prospect.....

The one thing Pierre-Paul supposedly had going for him was his tremendous wingspan and arm length....and his arms are only an 1 1/2" longer than Eric Berry's...

not to mention the fact that he has started what like 5 games.

talk about raw. he is a project in my opinion, but has a high ceiling. but I can't see taking him as early as someone is going to take him.

I think it's pretty clear that BOTH Brandon Spikes and Rolando McClain have something to hide, and that is why they're not running. I'm not biased here. I've been talking up Brandon Spikes for years, whereas I've only recently taken issue with the notion that Rolando McClain is top 10 talent. I'm disappointed on both fronts, but it's clear that they're trying to hide something.

I agree. If anything I am mad that neither ran because I know that we NEED an ILB. But them no running or doing drills is a huge red flag because they can't disprove their biggest knocks. I wanted them to come out and run to prove me wrong. But my opinion gets jumped on that I don't think he is athletic enough to be a top 15 pick.

not to mention the fact that he has started what like 5 games.

talk about raw. he is a project in my opinion, but has a high ceiling. but I can't see taking him as early as someone is going to take him.

Oakland? lol. why is Al Davis allowed to draft? man, that Brandon Graham looks like a little rock. 6'1 and I think they said 267. very thick and powerfull.

I have no idea Zach....I've never figured out why anybody loved Pierre-Paul that much.....Hell I liked Michael Johnson better as a prospect.....

who do you take at 12 if you take an OLB Slimm? I love Woodley, so Im not concerned with Grahams "measureables". you would take Griffen? btw, the thighs on Dan Williams are just ridiculous. lol

Yes apparently he is afraid to do any of the drills to help his case.

if he were coming in as a DE or OLB, I would want to see all these drills that translate to a first step explosiveness off the ball... seeing as he is coming out as a ILB... I see no reason to get my boxers all bunched up.

if he were coming in as a DE or OLB, I would want to see all these drills that translate to a first step explosiveness off the ball... seeing as he is coming out as a ILB... I see no reason to get my boxers all bunched up.

I don't base all of how I rate players on their combine numbers. The whole reason why I wanted to see what he could run at the forty was because I really was not that impressed with his game tape speed or agility. And yes, an ILB should have some kind of burst and agility because of the change of direction they have to go through to get after a ball carrier. If he had performed well at the combine I would have never brought this up because it would have alleviated some of the concerns I have about his athleticism.

I don't base all of how I rate players on their combine numbers. The whole reason why I wanted to see what he could run at the forty was because I really was not that impressed with his game tape speed or agility. And yes, an ILB should have some kind of burst and agility because of the change of direction they have to go through to get after a ball carrier. If he had performed well at the combine I would have never brought this up because it would have alleviated some of the concerns I have about his athleticism.

you wanted to see him run a forty to determine his agility and change of direction???
I'll ask again... how much tape DID you watch of mcclain where you actually broke down mcclain???

mike singletary was saying whoever gets this guy will have one heckuva a football player. 40 times for ILBs are overrated.

mcclain thinks he can run close to a 4.5.... we'll see. hopefully he doesn't, if he does I have a hunch he will be gone before 12.

Perhaps you will finally get it. He doesnt have to help his case. He can only hurt it.

On game tape, his athleticism was/is such a huge question mark, that there is far more good he could've done at the combine than bad. IMO, anything better than a 4.8 in the 40 yard dash would've helped McClain, as he has well below average game speed. Think how much McClain could've helped his stock by running a 4.60-4.69 40 yard dash. If McClain had run just decent times in the 40 yard dash and the 3 cone drill, he would've solidified his status as a top 10-15 draft pick.

you wanted to see him run a forty to determine his agility and change of direction???
I'll ask again... how much tape DID you watch of mcclain where you actually broke down mcclain???

mike singletary was saying whoever gets this guy will have one heckuva a football player. 40 times for ILBs are overrated.

mcclain thinks he can run close to a 4.5.... we'll see. hopefully he doesn't, if he does I have a hunch he will be gone before 12.

Let me rephrase. I wanted to see him run the forty, 3 cone drill and 20 yard shuttle to determine all of those things. Never did Singletary say in that article that 40 yard dashes were overrated for LB's. He simply said that instincts and smarts were the most important. I agree that he will be good, but you can't tell me that having good to elite physical tools does not help. It seems like everyone on this board views him as a top ten pick on just instincts alone.

And I have watched quite a bit of game film of him. Hence the reason I wanted to see some of his numbers at the combine to see if he really is as slow as he looks.

On game tape, his athleticism was/is such a huge question mark, that there is far more good he could've done at the combine than bad. IMO, anything better than a 4.8 in the 40 yard dash would've helped McClain, as he has well below average game speed. Think how much McClain could've helped his stock by running a 4.60-4.69 40 yard dash. If McClain had run just decent times in the 40 yard dash and the 3 cone drill, he would've solidified his status as a top 10-15 draft pick.

he still can... it's called a pro day.

Back
Top Bottom