McShay's Mock for our 1a selection | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McShay's Mock for our 1a selection

I still say there’s a chance the Bengals win out. I think they’ll beat Miami. Cleveland play’s Baltimore this week and might take an all time epic beating. If this happens the Browns completely implode and then lose against Cincinnati the final week of the season.

Miami isn't lucky enough to end up with Burrow. Locked in pick for Cincy for me. We could gamble on getting Tua later in the draft and trade down our first pick which might make the most sense.

I'm curious a healthy Burrow vs. A healthy Tua and we could have either?

Hard to imagine any sane person would rate Burrow over a healthy Tua.

Burrow was the #9 QB in 2015. Tua was the #1 QB in 2017.

Burrow has one year of elite production/play. Tua has been elite every year he's played.

Burrow has a concerns about his arm strength. Tua does not.

Both navigate the pocket at an elite level, and both are very accurate/efficient.

Disregarding health, Tua is just a much, much cleaner prospect.

If they are both healthy, Tua for me. Most experts had him as the best QB in the draft pre injury. They were calling him a generational talent. He ran LSU close when he wasn't 100% healthy.

Things are different now though and it will be a gamble to take him though still one which could pay off. I'm glad it's not down to me because it's such a hard decision to make.

This is going to be a very interesting last two weeks, especially if the Fins lose to the Bengals. There is so much speculation around the QBs and overall draft talent. If the Bengals get the first pick I do not necessarily think Burrow is a lock. I know I am likely wrong but, something in me thinks the Brown will be a bit of a wildcard and will at the very least put up a ton of smokescreens. Hell in FA he might go get Cam Newton or Ryan Tannehill to keep this narrative of win now. I think the Bengals value vets over developing young guys.

Bengals options:
#1 Draft Burrow and then fill holes with the rest of the draft and FA, which their cap space is half of what the Fins have. This leaves you with a QB who probably isnt ready to go for at least half the season and lots of holes to fill
#2 FA sign a vet like Newton or Tennehill and draft CY. This way you get an elite pass rush talent and get a vet QB who you know can win in this league and wont have to wait and hope they are great
#3 Trade out of #1 and get a slew of draft picks which is unlikely mainly because this has never been their style to move picks. And while Burrow and Young are very good talents along with a healthy Tua. Young is the only player seen as a generational talent and with the depth of pass rushers in this draft I do not see a team selling the farm for him.

The best QBs sit for a year or more; its almost a scientific fact with the number of occurrences that seem to prove that is the best way to do it. Drafting Burrow and starting him day one is a mistake and a total ticket selling move, he might beat out Dalton but that's not saying much given that Dalton is limited and always has been. But if the Bengals are in a lets go from #1 to playoffs and if they heap it on Burrow's shoulders I can only wish him luck. No matter who we take at QB they are sitting a year as the team further develops the roster so that pressure isnt there and whomever it is can just grind and get ready to take the reigns.

Whereas, Chase Young can play day one and makes a good defense even better. The Bengals have talent but also have holes and with basically a rank and file draft (1 pick a round) it will be hard to fill those. FAs are not going there and Burrow isnt something to sway grown men to change their minds while Cam might. Players want to win and they do not have the cap space to really overpay for guys, at least the Dolphins do.

And with the testing that is coming after bowl season somebody will jump and become a helium prospect and the Bengals could pull at 2011 and take BPA with their 1st round pick and QB with their 2nd round pick.

To the people who said Tua could be #1, if his health is not a concern and he moves around during drills and shows his is well on his way to recovery then it absolutely throws a wrench into the works. The time leading up to the draft is going to be crazy.

Last edited:

Burrow has one year of elite production/play. Tua has been elite every year he's played.

Both navigate the pocket at an elite level, and both are very accurate/efficient.

To add to your point Tua has been considered elite or generational at every level he has been and delivered on his promise. Hard to ignore that track record if he is given a clean bill of health. Burrow has always played the underdog role and rode it to a helium prospect status. If he goes to the senior bowl it will be interesting to see how he integrates to a different offensive scheme since the change they made this year the SEC wasnt ready for.

Not saying Burrow is a system QB but feel Tua can adapt to any style of system better.

Surely no team is a dumb enough to pass on a local kid that won a heisman and would energize the fanbase?

Oh wait.... we did that last year

Murray is from Texas, so I assume you meant Jackson. Which btw even the Ravens passed on him and took a TE in the 1st then traded back into the 1st and took a chance. Then they brought in the OC who worked with Kap and the staff fully bought into building the O to his strengths. There was a plan, now stepping back do you really think Gase would have developed or used Jackson correctly?

This is interesting. Could you see a scenerio where the Bengals essentially say they concur with your assesment, bank on a healthy Tua and eventually draft him over Burrow?
Secondly, does that mean for us, Burrow would be the next best QB available and we should draft him?

This is going to be a very interesting last two weeks, especially if the Fins lose to the Bengals. There is so much speculation around the QBs and overall draft talent. If the Bengals get the first pick I do not necessarily think Burrow is a lock. I know I am likely wrong but, something in me thinks the Brown will be a bit of a wildcard and will at the very least put up a ton of smokescreens. Hell in FA he might go get Cam Newton or Ryan Tannehill to keep this narrative of win now. I think the Bengals value vets over developing young guys.

Bengals options:
#1 Draft Burrow and then fill holes with the rest of the draft and FA, which their cap space is half of what the Fins have. This leaves you with a QB who probably isnt ready to go for at least half the season and lots of holes to fill
#2 FA sign a vet like Newton or Tennehill and draft CY. This way you get an elite pass rush talent and get a vet QB who you know can win in this league and wont have to wait and hope they are great
#3 Trade out of #1 and get a slew of draft picks which is unlikely mainly because this has never been their style to move picks. And while Burrow and Young are very good talents along with a healthy Tua. Young is the only player seen as a generational talent and with the depth of pass rushers in this draft I do not see a team selling the farm for him.

The best QBs sit for a year or more; its almost a scientific fact with the number of occurrences that seem to prove that is the best way to do it. Drafting Burrow and starting him day one is a mistake and a total ticket selling move, he might beat out Dalton but that's not saying much given that Dalton is limited and always has been. But if the Bengals are in a lets go from #1 to playoffs and if they heap it on Burrow's shoulders I can only wish him luck. No matter who we take at QB they are sitting a year as the team further develops the roster so that pressure isnt there and whomever it is can just grind and get ready to take the reigns.

Whereas, Chase Young can play day one and makes a good defense even better. The Bengals have talent but also have holes and with basically a rank and file draft (1 pick a round) it will be hard to fill those. FAs are not going there and Burrow isnt something to sway grown men to change their minds while Cam might. Players want to win and they do not have the cap space to really overpay for guys, at least the Dolphins do.

And with the testing that is coming after bowl season somebody will jump and become a helium prospect and the Bengals could pull at 2011 and take BPA with their 1st round pick and QB with their 2nd round pick.

To the people who said Tua could be #1, if his health is not a concern and he moves around during drills and shows his is well on his way to recovery then it absolutely throws a wrench into the works. The time leading up to the draft is going to be crazy.

Good God Man! Insanity!

I can't for the life of me see a scenerio where the Bengals don't draft a young QB (Tua or Burrow) and take some other position. Afterwards turn around and try to sell the organization and fanbase on a vet FA (Tannehill/Newton)...Lol! There's no darn way they're that crazy!

However i laughed before but maybe there maybe something to..If Tua is healthy enough he gets selected over Burrow.

It's a number on a piece of paper, and a low number at that. The doctor that did the surgery on him and is most familiar with everything that's happened, has been inside the hip and seen it, told Tua that he's got a better chance of being mauled by a bear than developing avascular necrosis (the feared catastrophic result).

I thought there was like a 5 percent chance that tua would develop something potentially catostrophic within the first 2 months post op.

I thought I read that somewhere.

Ehich is it?

If getting mauled by a bear is more likely than that, well I'm a little worried about going outside today.

Good God Man! Insanity!

I can't for the life of me see a scenerio where the Bengals don't draft a young QB (Tua or Burrow) and take some other position. Afterwards turn around and try to sell the organization and fanbase on a vet FA (Tannehill/Newton)...Lol! There's no darn way they're that crazy!

However i laughed before but maybe there maybe something to..If Tua is healthy enough he gets selected over Burrow.

If anyone would be that crazy it would be Mike brown. Might be high on Love now considering he just got arrested and him not seeming to care about off the field stuff HAHA.

Have you seen the Bengals forums? They know he is a wildcard and capable of anything, they are more disenfranchised than the Fins fan-base.

This is interesting. Could you see a scenerio where the Bengals essentially say they concur with your assesment, bank on a healthy Tua and eventually draft him over Burrow?
Secondly, does that mean for us, Burrow would be the next best QB available and we should draft him?

It's possible, but the Bengals ownership is more about paying as little as possible without losing too many fans. Think they go with the more popular pick and the guy who is the better bet to start in 2020. It'd take conviction to pick Tua over Burrow, and few organizations possess less conviction than Cincinnati

As things stand right now, I'd rather see us build our defense and OL in this draft, especially if we can grab guys like Young, Thomas, Simmons, Humphrey, etc. I think we could get better in a hurry if we improve our defense and rushing attack. I think it's important to remember we have a bunch of picks in 2021
I just saw the opponents Miami has to face in 2020 and it's a tough run. 49ers, Seattle, KC, Rams, Raiders, Broncos, Chargers, up-and-coming Cardinals… I tend to agree with you if there is any question we should probably concentrate on the trenches now. The chances of us getting another low (or high depending on your POV) draft pick is strong. Maybe we look for our franchise quarterback in 2021

This decision is going to divide the fanbase for a decade unless 1) Tua completely flops or 2) He becomes a perennial pro bowl player.

The opinion divide is just too deep, almost a parallel of America's political situation.

One side absolutely loves him, and the other side thinks he's over-rated and injury prone.

And the Hell of it is that unless he plays for at least 10 or 12 years, we wont get an positive answer to whether he is sturdy enough.

Either way... we'll see bad blood for quite awhile.
YUP. The best thing for our fan base would be either to draft him healthy and he become the Tua everyone hoped for or for him to be drafted before we pick. Personally, I hope his medical comes back great and the Bengals bungle their selection and take Tua. Drafting him hurt will be nothing short of disaster IMO.

Back
Top Bottom