Merged: BREAKING NEWS: Eric Mangini accepts Jets job | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: BREAKING NEWS: Eric Mangini accepts Jets job

The Dolphins are on the road to greatness, we saw that when they went from a 4-12 team to a 9-7 team under a first year coach.

Despite a terrible secondary and erratic QB play, they managed to secure a winning record, beating some good teams while doing so. Two of those teams are still playing.

Meanwhile, the Jets have questions at QB just as we do (Will Pennington recover? ) Obviously injuries were a big factor, but I see it as you guys entering a rebuilding year, with definately the possibility of 8-8 but I think it will be tough with new schemes and personnel.

Course, you never know...A lot of people didn't think the Dolphins were going to have a winning season, much less 5 wins.

It's good to have a competetive division, always want to beat a team when they're best.

burger13 said:
I watched parts of Mangini's press conference yesterday, and I was not impressed at all...........it's like he was trying to talk himself up for a job which he already got. He read his whole speach from cue cards, word for word and did not appear to have any confidence. He looked border-line FRIGHTENED to be in that situation.

The one thought I had in watching that was that I hope the Jets go after T.O. now......it would be one of the funniest things ever to watch what an world-class @-hole like T.O. would do to that scared little man. :)

Belichick never let him talk to the press. All of a sudden, he goes from never talking to the media at all, to talking in front of hundreds of people and cameras, the NEW YORK media, as a new head coach. I would be worried if he DIDN'T come off sounding a little nervous. Frightened is way too strong a word to use. He sounded confident, knowing what he wanted to get done. He didn't read his whole speech from his cue cards. He looked down at them a couple of times here and there, but most of the time looked directly at the crowd of people.

But anyway, it doesn't really matter what he does in press conferences to me. As long as he can coach, which I fully believe he can, then I'll be happy. The last HC we had was great with the media, but horrible on gameday.

burger13 said:
I watched parts of Mangini's press conference yesterday, and I was not impressed at all...........it's like he was trying to talk himself up for a job which he already got. He read his whole speach from cue cards, word for word and did not appear to have any confidence. He looked border-line FRIGHTENED to be in that situation.

The one thought I had in watching that was that I hope the Jets go after T.O. now......it would be one of the funniest things ever to watch what an world-class @-hole like T.O. would do to that scared little man. :)

We just had a coach who was great w/ the media and we let him go. Last I checked a dynamic personality w/ the media was not needed as the HC who has won 3 of the last 4 has been as dull as can be.

Also you have to take into consideration that this was Mangini's 1st time in front of such a large group of reporters, as a member of BPs and BB's staff he has been barred from talking to the media. He's dull guy in front of a microphone but that doesn't bother me at all as long as he does his job on the field.

Did'nt this guy start out wanting to be in rugby or something like that? I just dont know man, there is something about this cat that just does not seem to make me think that he is going to amount to anything. I think the idea of getting everyone from BB might have gone to far this time.

No, he was living in Australia and his brother had a team out there and Eric coached it, it was his first coaching job of any kind and set him up on the road to where he is today.

Intersting note- He discovered our current P ben Graham while in Australia while working for the Jets around '97 so thanks to him we have a great P and won't have a new P for the 1st time since 2001.

Notice how I mentioned that specifically Belichick disciples need to be the GM and Coach. These guys run extremely complex schemes and have a specific way of evaluating players whom they feel will adapt well in relation to what they are trying to do on the football field. Again though, this is just my opinion from what I have seen and heard about Belichick and Saban. Mangini comes right from that line of coaching and I'm assuming he's not much different.

You are assuming Eric won't have input which is not the case. He may not have the final say but he'll have penty of input, it's not like Beadway will be picking players Mangini is not comfortable w/.

The Dolphins are on the road to greatness, we saw that when they went from a 4-12 team to a 9-7 team under a first year coach.

Let's slow down, you did a nice job down the stretch but greatness is not guaranteed.
In today's NFL there are teams every year that make such leaps and even better leaps ina 1 yr span.

Basileus777 said:
Or he could be terrible. This is really a huge gamble for the jets. This guy had 1 year experience as a coordinator and now hes expected going to take a crumbling Jets org and turn it around. The guy is young and who knows if he has the experience to manage an organization, handle players that are almost as old as him, and do it with all the pressure he is sure to be under.
You guys are going to have to watch your new head idiot, major clock management issues.

Basileus777 said:
Or he could be terrible. This is really a huge gamble for the jets. This guy had 1 year experience as a coordinator and now hes expected going to take a crumbling Jets org and turn it around. The guy is young and who knows if he has the experience to manage an organization, handle players that are almost as old as him, and do it with all the pressure he is sure to be under.

Why are we crumbling? b/c we lost Herm? mangini is better qualified to bea HC than Herm was when we hired him and Herm was successful. At the time Herm took over we had an older, cap strapped team just as we have now. I love people counting us out before any moves have even been made.

nyjunc said:
We just had a coach who was great w/ the media and we let him go. Last I checked a dynamic personality w/ the media was not needed as the HC who has won 3 of the last 4 has been as dull as can be.

Also you have to take into consideration that this was Mangini's 1st time in front of such a large group of reporters, as a member of BPs and BB's staff he has been barred from talking to the media. He's dull guy in front of a microphone but that doesn't bother me at all as long as he does his job on the field.

I can understand someone being nervous in front of the media who hasn't dealt with it......but that wouldn't be the kind of person that I would want for the LEADER of my franchise. I want him to show confidence in everything he does, first time or not. I can guarantee you that some Jet players were sitting in front of their TV watching this thinking, "This is our new leader?" He had ZERO presense.

You mention Belichick not being a dynamic personality, and you are absolutely right....but he has never looked as nervous and unconfident as Mangini looked at that pc.

It wasn't like he had any real belief in what he was saying......because he read it word-for-word from cue cards......if you know what your point is and you believe in what you are saying, you don't need to read the entire speach because you know exactly the point you want to get accross. You might use them as reminders of the topics you want to hit on.....but then you would be able to cover the topic w/o them.

Hey, it's just my view of what I saw and I really don't expect a Jet fan to agree.....you are obviously going to see the bright side of this whole thing.....which is that this is a bright young coach who is obviously got something going for him to be the youngest coach in the league.....but that's just not what I saw.

burger13 said:
I can understand someone being nervous in front of the media who hasn't dealt with it......but that wouldn't be the kind of person that I would want for the LEADER of my franchise. I want him to show confidence in everything he does, first time or not. I can guarantee you that some Jet players were sitting in front of their TV watching this thinking, "This is our new leader?" He had ZERO presense.

You mention Belichick not being a dynamic personality, and you are absolutely right....but he has never looked as nervous and unconfident as Mangini looked at that pc.

It wasn't like he had any real belief in what he was saying......because he read it word-for-word from cue cards......if you know what your point is and you believe in what you are saying, you don't need to read the entire speach because you know exactly the point you want to get accross. You might use them as reminders of the topics you want to hit on.....but then you would be able to cover the topic w/o them.

Hey, it's just my view of what I saw and I really don't expect a Jet fan to agree.....you are obviously going to see the bright side of this whole thing.....which is that this is a bright young coach who is obviously got something going for him to be the youngest coach in the league.....but that's just not what I saw.

And you're a Dolphin fan who will always see the negative side of it for the Jets. So, it doesn't look like either side is 100% correct.

Are you kidding me? Maybe now BB is abit more comfortable but even when he took the Pats job he was even worse than Mangini was the other day and his resignation PC from the Jets he was all out of whack- hair a mess, mumbling, sweating, etc... I heard many Maningin interviews after the PC and he was fine. He'll be fine in front of a big audience soon too as he gets more comfortable.

Mangini has never been a head coach. He is not automatic just because he is a Bellicheck desciple. He is no Nick Saban. It does tell me that the Jets are trying to copy us.

How's that copying coming along?

Back
Top Bottom