Merged: BREAKING NEWS: Eric Mangini accepts Jets job | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: BREAKING NEWS: Eric Mangini accepts Jets job

I think it's funny that not only have three of Bill's boys gotten head coaching gigs, but two of them are now in the AFC East.. lol..

Pauly said:
Yeah, young head coaches never work out. Let's have a look at these bums:

Georga Halas, 25 years old when he became HC of the Decataur Staleys (now Chicago Bears). Only the second most winningest coach in history.
Don Shula, 33 years old when he became HC of the Baltimore Colts. Only the most winningest coach in history.
Bill Cowher, 35 years old when he became HC of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Who's playing next weekend whilst we're watching.
Tom Landry, 36 years old when he became HC of the Dallas Cowboys. I think he may have won a superbowl or two.
Hank Stram and Chuck Norris were 37 years old when appointed HC of the Dallas Texans (Kansas City Chiefs) and Pittsburgh Steelers respectively. 5 superbowls between them and some very innovative coaching.
Paul Brown, 38 years old when he became HC of the Cleveland Browns. 7 Championships in 10 years is a pretty poor effort.

Finally Joe Gibbs was an ancient and wizened 41 years old when he first became HC of the Washington Redskins.

Funnily enough all of them except Cowher are in the HoF, and by the time Cowher's career is over he'll get plenty of HoF consideration, especially if he wins the superbowl this year.

Me, I'm frightened. The last thing I want to see is the Jets getting themselves a young HC who'll have a HoF career. I'd much rather see them hire some 55 year old retread who'll have them hover around 8-8 for a few years.

Ok lets look at this posts facts. One Im gonna be a $%^$# and point out that chuck norris never coached but is a damn good martial artist. But im sure he could come in and win a superbowl cause hes chuck norris.

Ok and my next point. how many of those succesfull coaches were sucessful with their first team when they were young. Shula with the colts wasnt too good. Chuck noll was good with the niners was fired before that.
I will now quote ESPN, its better that the jets get the right guy when he is not ready, than not get him when he is. Who knows how good mangini will be, he doesnt have lots of experience and probaby will be good if he is like other coaches of the same line. But if NY is impatient which it is, mangini will be fired before he gets good. So once again NY will be too impatient to give the right man a chance.

Oh and finally it is not the Bill Belicheck diciple or school of coaching. It started from parcells. BB is a parcells follower, thats where BB got all his knowlege and that is why BB and Saban are that way with the media. The fact that the dolphins have had only 5 coaches and only 2 were fired says alot about the franchise. That we are patient with our coaches, and got lucky with shula.

WestCoastPhins said:
Ok lets look at this posts facts. One Im gonna be a $%^$# and point out that chuck norris never coached but is a damn good martial artist. But im sure he could come in and win a superbowl cause hes chuck norris.

Oops, my bad.

Ok and my next point. how many of those succesfull coaches were sucessful with their first team when they were young. Shula with the colts wasnt too good. Chuck noll was good with the niners was fired before that.
I will now quote ESPN, its better that the jets get the right guy when he is not ready, than not get him when he is. Who knows how good mangini will be, he doesnt have lots of experience and probaby will be good if he is like other coaches of the same line. But if NY is impatient which it is, mangini will be fired before he gets good. So once again NY will be too impatient to give the right man a chance.
Shula's regular season record in Baltimore
1963: 8-6
1964: 12-2
1965: 10-3-1
1966: 9-5
1967: 11-1-2
1968: 13-1
1969: 8-5-1

73.5% winning percentage in the regular season with no losing seasons and you're saying that's not good?

Chuck Noll was only ever HC at the Steelers. He was appointed in 1969 and had the steelers in the AFC championship game in 1972.
Paul Brown won 7 out of 10 titles contested in his first 10 years as HC.

George Halas had to wait until 1394 for the NFL to introduce a title game. He won it in 1934. In the 1920s the Staleys/Bears had 9 winning seasons and one losing season.

Hank Stram - most wins as a coach in the AFL's 10 years of pre-merger existence. 2 superbowls for 1 win, and won the league in 1962.

Joe Gibbs - appointed HC in 1981. First superbowl win 1982.

It took Tom Landry 6 years from expansion to get a team to a .500+ record. His cowboys then stayed above .500 until 1986. Which makes him the only coach from the list I posted who did not have immediate success on their teams.

Let's have a look at some other HC, first appointed while they were in their 20s and 20s: Curly Lambeau (of the "titletown" packers) ; John Madden (owner of the highest win %), Jeff Fisher, John Gruden and Al Davis (looking at his work as coach of the raiders from 1960 to 1969 he did a pretty good job, the less said about what he's done after 1980 the better)

I'm not saying Magnini is a lock to have a HoF career, but history shows a 30ish year old HC being appointed HC for the first time is more likely to have a HoF career than a 50ish year old retread.

:lol: at least the pats have to find another D co-ordinator... although he didnt do a great job i must say

jtsacksyou said:
this is bad news, they might actually be competitive

Count on it.

While Mangini is young he brings what others on the list (Tice, Haslett) just couldn't which is new blood and a new day. The team needs a shakeup now and it is going to get it.

I would expect new OC, new DC and some serious "building" picks in the draft this year.

The Jets will be competitive in 2006 and with any luck will be able to get back the winning side of the ball.

BZ

FaninPatsyLand said:
Mangini is going to be a very good coach, but this wasn't a good move for the Jets. He's not going to know how to handle an offense, the guy has ZERO experience with that side of the ball, that just can't be good. The Jets got desprate and reached, hopefully they do the same in the Draft this April.

He's simply not ready yet..

who were we going to hire? Sherman, fassell, tice or haslett? this was a very thin HC pool and I am glad the FO looked beyond this year in hiring Mangini. I don't know if he'll be great or nto but I know the retreads aren't good so am very happy w/ the hire. He might be a year early but better a year early than late and not getting him.

When the final two candidates where Mangini and Tice, I just cringed at Tice's name, that'd been a big downgrade from Herm.

But Mangini i'm happy with. Whether he produces three straight 5-11 years, or appears in a Superbwol. It's about time the Jets organization realized it needed some new/young fresh blood to take over, and they actually gave out some money. Looking to be 5 years $15 million, and that could escalate to $18 million.

Now none of us should expect 11-5 this coming season, no way...But I think they got the right guy in terms of building a contender in 07 or 08. He has his work cut out for him, once he assembles a staff then focus on the draft, etc. etc.

But getting a guy who will be turning 35 Thursday makes me happy, they wanted to me a bold move, a risk, a gamble, hopefully it pays off. But it's good to see for a change the Jets got agressive.

Mangini

The Jets hired a guy who'll turn 35 on Thursday, who worked as DC only one year, just because he's associated with Belichick. :sidelol: We should all thank them, as they've officially decided to retool, rather than going out and getting a real coach. With Buffalo going down like a fiery plane crash, and with the Pats losing steam, I think the Fins will reign supreme in the east for several years to come! Who's with me?

Just another coach that we get to hand two losses to every year. :D

FIN NEW ERA said:
The Jets hired a guy who'll turn 35 on Thursday, who worked as DC only one year, just because he's associated with Belichick. :sidelol: We should all thank them, as they've officially decided to retool, rather than going out and getting a real coach. With Buffalo going down like a fiery plane crash, and with the Pats losing steam, I think the Fins will reign supreme in the east for several years to come! Who's with me?
I think Manigini was a bit of a reach, and I find it curious that none of the other teams looking for a HC wanted to talk to him.

That being said, we also took a chance last year on a college coach with limited NFL experience and it worked out just fine for us. I'll save my joy until I see that the Jets screwed up (yet again!) with this choice in coaches. If they do the right thing and cut their losses with Chad the Cap Killing Midget, they may recover quicker than you think.

The Buffalo situation looks terrible for sure, and I don't know if they can recover from that mess with the current owner.

The Pats do appear on the downside, but they did beat us in our house last year with a banged up crew. I'll believe they are done when I see it...hopefully next year. Until then, they are the AFC East champs.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Phinz4Life said:
Just another coach that we get to hand two losses to every year. :D

considering we've beaten 12 oft he last 16 times we've played and very nearly swept you again despite the 2nd game having half a team i'd say no matter who our coach is you should be concerned about us.

Back
Top Bottom