Merged: BREAKING NEWS: Eric Mangini accepts Jets job | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: BREAKING NEWS: Eric Mangini accepts Jets job

anyone feel like its a bit too much Bill belicheck in the AFC east? three of the four teams will come from the same school and run the same defenses. pretty monotonous

Maynard said:
anyone feel like its a bit too much Bill belicheck in the AFC east? three of the four teams will come from the same school and run the same defenses. pretty monotonous

Now that you've said that watch the bills hire Belicheck's coffee maker.

Mangini takes Jets HC job

Another classic move by a franchise known for its classic failures. Jet fans that want mangini only because he has a New England label on his resume. they don't even care to consider that in 03 he was a DB coach, and this year he became a DC for the first time. Now these guys think he can be a head coach in the mega market that is the new york media with no head coaching experience at all.

Mangini will be a fine head coach some day even a genius if you will but he has to get experience first and I mean good tough experience like belichek got in Cleveland and the Jets and the Giants before you make that leap. Belicheck did this all at top level positions as a DC, head coach or assistant head coach. I wonder what excuses that Jet fans will come up with when they go 5-11 or 6-10 over the next 3 years. Are you guys willing to wait 3 or 4 years before he matures into a head coach, of losing seasons

I think the guy took the job way way too early, I guess you got to strike while the iron is hot either way the PATs are done and you got the retread. Jets should have gone after Weis last year, that was your man to get!! He would have been perfect, trust me when I tell you that Mangini is not going to work.

When the dolphins went and got Saban they did not get a Belichek disciple they got a co-founder / partner to alot of Belicheks success.

Mangini takes Jets HC job

Another classic move by a franchise known for its classic failures. Jet fans that want mangini only because he has a New England label on his resume. they don't even care to consider that in 03 he was a DB coach, and this year he became a DC for the first time. Now these guys think he can be a head coach in the mega market that is the new york media with no head coaching experience at all.

Mangini will be a fine head coach some day even a genius if you will but he has to get experience first and I mean good tough experience like belichek got in Cleveland and the Jets and the Giants before you make that leap. Belicheck did this all at top level positions as a DC, head coach or assistant head coach. I wonder what excuses that Jet fans will come up with when they go 5-11 or 6-10 over the next 3 years. Are you guys willing to wait 3 or 4 years before he matures into a head coach, of losing seasons

I think the guy took the job way way too early, I guess you got to strike while the iron is hot either way the PATs are done and you got the retread. Jets should have gone after Weis last year, that was your man to get!! He would have been perfect, trust me when I tell you that Mangina is not going to work.

When the dolphins went and got Saban they did not get a Belichek disciple they got a co-founder / partner to alot of Belicheks success.

I think it's a good hire. Their last couple coaches never had any HC experience either; Herm Edwards & Al Groh. Will he help their horrible offense? Probably not because that's a personnel issue. Will he help their defense, more than likely because they have the talent.

Mangini is inheriting some good talent on that roster ( please forgive me fellow phin fans for complimenting the jets) but he will also be inheriting
a team that is in transition and has salary cap issues.
It will be interesting to see how he does.

Ace88 said:
Good point, but did they have the same mess that Mangini is gonna have to deal with in their first year as a HC? I'm not saying that Mangini is gonna suck and never be good, I'm saying that it will be a while for him to do anything.

Working through my list:
Halas, Stram, Landry and Brown built teams from scratch. Pittsburgh had been a perennial loser before Noll took over. Cowher, Shula and Gibbs took over teams in reasonable health, but when Shula took over the 'phins they were in a mess.

I don't think the Jets situation is quite as dire as some people are making out. Their 2005 was very similar to the 'phin's 2004, lots of injuries etc., but they still have a pretty good core of talent that can be built around.

Pauly said:
Working through my list:
Halas, Stram, Landry and Brown built teams from scratch. Pittsburgh had been a perennial loser before Noll took over. Cowher, Shula and Gibbs took over teams in reasonable health, but when Shula took over the 'phins they were in a mess.

I don't think the Jets situation is quite as dire as some people are making out. Their 2005 was very similar to the 'phin's 2004, lots of injuries etc., but they still have a pretty good core of talent that can be built around.
Its pretty dire I would say. Especially on offense. QB? RB? TE? OL? Salary cap? Dont know all the figures, but its possible they lose some of their playmakers on D to add to the mess. Well on the bright side....they have a young kicker and a pretty good punter. Oh! And theyre used to losing, so that should help.

I am curious what talent some are referring to. On offense they have.....coles i suppose who is above average. Their qb is injury prone and has a noodle arm. Their oline is old and needs to be rebuilt. Martin is old and worn down and Houston has some potential. On defense they have Vilma and Ellis and some young talent in the secondary. Abraham is probably gone, which means their dline is going to need to be rebuilt. They have talent, but it is all on the defensive side of the ball. Their qb situation is worse than the fins if you take into account all the money they have poured into chad. Their bad cap situation means they might have to cut some others and will have trouble getting any free agent talent.

He'll have his work cut out for him in NY and not a lot of support if things go bad right off the bat. With all the Super Bowls won while in NE, NY'ers will run in into the ground if he struggles. Having learned the ropes in the NFL and coaching with BB last few years he is a great choice beacuse he learned the ropes in the NFL and is still very young. Would have loved him in Miami as a DC, was really hoping to land him last year.

Back
Top Bottom