MERGED: Breaking News: Iverson traded to Nuggets | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Breaking News: Iverson traded to Nuggets

DonShula84 said:
Wonder why the Sixers never went back to the Clippers. The deal with Denver must have offered more salary cap relief?

The Sixers must be set on getting as much cap relief as possible, blowing up, and starting over. I think that's a mistake, personally, since it's seldom worked, but at least Billy King is setting up a clean slate for the guy who will succeed him as GM. That's darned nice of him.

Anyway, Magette is signed to a long-term deal, and is more of a complementary piece than a guy around whom you can rebuild.

Basically, the 6ers got what they wanted, 3 first round picks in what looks to be a deep draft.

Exactly, and it seems they wanted some cap relief. Miller isn't bad but he's overrated. I don't know whay the hell they wanted Joe Smith.

It should be intresting to see how Melo and AI get along.

PatsSuck456 said:
Exactly, and it seems they wanted some cap relief. Miller isn't bad but he's overrated. I don't know whay the hell they wanted Joe Smith.

Because Smith provides the cap relief. His $6.8M comes off the cap after this year.

phunwin said:
Because Smith provides the cap relief. His $6.8M comes off the cap after this year.

I can understand the cap relief angle, but cap space doesnt mean that much in the NBA, the great players get resigned or traded. I think to me I always look at Superstar Trades and say 'if you don't get another Superstar in return its a bad deal'. I cant remember which coach said it but the quote was basically 'cap space doesnt score or rebound or win games'.
Now if their lottery pick turns into Oden and they can draft some depth with the other two picks its a moot point, but if they get some project in the lottery they will stink for years and years. Philly fans dont exactly strike me as the patient type if the Sixers draft another Shawn Bradley with that lottery pick.

finfansince72 said:
I can understand the cap relief angle, but cap space doesnt mean that much in the NBA, the great players get resigned or traded. I think to me I always look at Superstar Trades and say 'if you don't get another Superstar in return its a bad deal'. I cant remember which coach said it but the quote was basically 'cap space doesnt score or rebound or win games'.

It may not but it got the Lakers three titles.

Ferretsquig said:

You have to sign and trade nowadays, the capspace is nice but its only for midlevel freeagents the bigtime players are rarely leaving nowadays.

Ferretsquig said:

In a way, that was one of the single worst things to happen to the NBA. Shaq to the Lakers was a classic example of right guy, right team, right time, and now every second-rate team run by a third-rate GM thinks that if they just keep clearing cap space endlessly, they can replicate that plan. As a result, star players with long-term deals get devalued tremendously, and it leads to teams giving assets away for much less than fair value.

phunwin said:
In a way, that was one of the single worst things to happen to the NBA. Shaq to the Lakers was a classic example of right guy, right team, right time, and now every second-rate team run by a third-rate GM thinks that if they just keep clearing cap space endlessly, they can replicate that plan. As a result, star players with long-term deals get devalued tremendously, and it leads to teams giving assets away for much less than fair value.

Well Isiah must be a 4th rate GM, he actually probaly could have gotten a LeBron or someone like that to move to NY. I mean lets face it, Shaq wanted to make movies, get more endorsements, etc, along with going to a more historic franchise, Philly might be a step up for some players but I think really only LA or NY could actually just get a player to take less salary than their hometeam can offer to move there.

phunwin said:

With the exception of the Pistons, every championship in this generation has been won by a team with the player considered the one of the two or three best or most dominant in the league. Whether it be Shaq, Duncan, Hakeem, Jordan, or Wade... Frankly the odds of a GM getting one of those players either by lucking out through FA like the Lakers or lucking out via the lottery like Miami or Cleveland is greater than lucking out as many times as Dumars did in building the Pistons. So what is better, clearing cap space and tanking it with the hope of landing Oden or signing Wade/Bosh/Lebron in 3 years or trying to build the next Piston team?

I think we can all agree that while Iverson is a great player, noone is going to put him in the top two or three. Mabey for one season he could be uttered in the same sentence with Shaq and Duncan, but now hes simply an aging star. Odds are King will get the better of this deal, if he can manage to hit with one of the picks he gets in return. The record of 30+ yr old stars performing as well as they did in their previous surroundings after being traded isn't all that great.

Daunt8TDChris84 said:
What was wrong with jason williams,jason kapono and 2 draft picks?

Where'd you hear that ridiculous rumor from?

First off, that doesn't work cap wise, second off.. that was never offered.

Riley isn't dumb enough to throw something like that out there.

With the exception of the Pistons, every championship in this generation has been won by a team with the player considered the one of the two or three best or most dominant in the league. Whether it be Shaq, Duncan, Hakeem, Jordan, or Wade... Frankly the odds of a GM getting one of those players either by lucking out through FA like the Lakers or lucking out via the lottery like Miami or Cleveland is greater than lucking out as many times as Dumars did in building the Pistons. So what is better, clearing cap space and tanking it with the hope of landing Oden or signing Wade/Bosh/Lebron in 3 years or trying to build the next Piston team?

I think we can all agree that while Iverson is a great player, noone is going to put him in the top two or three. Mabey for one season he could be uttered in the same sentence with Shaq and Duncan, but now hes simply an aging star. Odds are King will get the better of this deal, if he can manage to hit with one of the picks he gets in return. The record of 30+ yr old stars performing as well as they did in their previous surroundings after being traded isn't all that great.

I don't have a problem wanting to build through the draft, or trying to trade for a superduperstar (people forget this now, but the Rockets were dead set on moving Hakeem at one point, I think it was 1991 or 92, but ultimately they thought better of it). My point was merely that the "clear cap space and sign a big-time free agent" thing has worked exactly as planned just once. The Magic made it work, too, in getting Hill and McGrady, but Hill was a collosal bust, and McGrady was later dealt for 50 cents on the dollar, and the guy they really wanted, Duncan, never really considered them. Like I said, Shaq to the Lakers was right guy, right place, right time. The chances of replicating that are probably worse than the idea of building a champion around team basketball, like the Pistons did.

Yea but the two they traded for are projected to be in the 20s. Those arent that valuable in the NBA. They are nice throwins on a trade for a young player but Miller and Smith? Cmon, Miller is nice but to not get a really quality young player in return for Iverson, just projected 20something draft picks is lunacy.

SA took Tony parker 28th. I think he's a little valuable :wink:

Just wait and see,I bet they become a contender now...No telling how far they may go now.BTW this sucks for all those other teams you just mentioned.

Funny how our Dolphins and Spurs are both in their league's best conferences. :sigh:

Screw Denver. If AI was so great and was championship material, they wouldnt have traded him

Funny how our Dolphins and Spurs are both in their league's best conferences. :sigh:

Screw Denver. If AI was so great and was championship material, they wouldnt have traded him

The Sixers really had no choice with the long term big contracts to AI, C-Webb and Dalembert. AI's trade removes about 17 millions from their cap, and C-Webb's $$$ should come off next year at around 20 million. BK just has to make smarter decisions, and make sure to draft guys who will be the future of the Sixers.

The Sixers really had no choice with the long term big contracts to AI, C-Webb and Dalembert. AI's trade removes about 17 millions from their cap, and C-Webb's $$$ should come off next year at around 20 million. BK just has to make smarter decisions, and make sure to draft guys who will be the future of the Sixers.

awesome sig rome!

Back
Top Bottom